DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada doesn't want you

Its not a definite hard stop to the border ban, its more like its open ended.

So Canada hasn't closed borders to all but US citizens, to limit Coronavirus spread ?

I read they'd done this on Monday 16th.

There is that much wilderness and places to fly here in Newfoundland and in Canada that I really don't think that you would have a hard time flying your drone and getting some great footage. As for flying it in the city you probably would have a problem.

The rock is on my bucket list of places to still get to in Canada, I have been to every province except NL and way up to the territories, Yukon, etc. We can all hope that the virus thing moves on before the next snow flies and we can have some fun.

Reactions: Poison
So Canada hasn't closed borders to all but US citizens, to limit Coronavirus spread ?

Yes, that is correct, US and Canadian citizens only. My post was not clear, they have not stated when that will end. I heard from US family today that they are thinking of making it even harder by blocking all non essential travel across the border soon.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The rock is on my bucket list of places to still get to in Canada, I have been to every province except NL and way up to the territories, Yukon, etc. We cam all hope that the virus thing moves on before the next snow flies and we can have some fun.
I hope you get to come here. Beautiful place. Great people for the most part. Wish you all safe and well

Reactions: pelagic_one
Hopefully a month or so will 'flatten the bump' of the expected virus curve predicted.
All it needs is conscientious decisions by all to isolate and wait out it's decrease in how far it spreads.

Good luck to every country with this.

Reactions: Poison
The rock is on my bucket list of places to still get to in Canada, I have been to every province except NL and way up to the territories, Yukon, etc. We can all hope that the virus thing moves on before the next snow flies and we can have some fun.
Our family has also visited (camped) in every province in Canada too, except NL and the territories. We mostly camp in National and provincial parks. So much to see and do, it’s too bad that visitors can’t fly here as most would be law abiding and respectful of the rules here.

Chris

Is that comment really fair to us Canadian flyers? We don't make the dumb rules. Our liberal government does. Just sayin'. I haven't been allowed to fly for over a year because I haven't done the course or written the test that's required now. The True North Strong and Free...o_O
Sorry to hear youre not flying. If I were you I’d just take the test. It’s not that difficult and transport Canada allows you to look up the information as you go,I mean,that’s pretty easy in my estimation and sure beats sitting at home looking at your quad instead of flying it.

Reactions: KrowNB

Border is closed to all non essential travel at this time in both directions. The exception is canadians returning. We enter by right,which I’m sure is the case for Americans reentering tge US as well.

Border is closed to all non essential travel at this time in both directions. The exception is canadians returning. We enter by right,which I’m sure is the case for Americans reentering tge US as well.

Yes, most countries have this policy in place now.
Aussies coming home, and there's still a lot trying to get out of various places around the World (a bit late now), they have to go into 14 day self isolation.

And . . . we are getting this same thing now for interstate travel, some of our states are closing borders to non essential travel, and if you are returning the 14 day self isolation thing is applied too.
Some of this is related to our remote indigenous communities, as their level of immunity is still very low for such viruses etc.

Strange times indeed, and unprecedented for my generation and the couple of newer generations, a look at what some really tough times people of a a few generations ago have been through with great depressions, war rationing etc.

Anything to keep a lid on this now, make that virus curve come and go as soon as possible.
Things will never be the same again though, I feel, there are going to be many things that change from this, day to day life things, the way people behave and think.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
Yes, most countries have this policy in place now.
Aussies coming home, and there's still a lot trying to get out of various places around the World (a bit late now), they have to go into 14 day self isolation.

And . . . we are getting this same thing now for interstate travel, some of our states are closing borders to non essential travel, and if you are returning the 14 day self isolation thing is applied too.
Some of this is related to our remote indigenous communities, as their level of immunity is still very low for such viruses etc.

Strange times indeed, and unprecedented for my generation and the couple of newer generations, a look at what some really tough times people of a a few generations ago have been through with great depressions, war rationing etc.

Anything to keep a lid on this now, make that virus curve come and go as soon as possible.
Things will never be the same again though, I feel, there are going to be many things that change from this, day to day life things, the way people behave and think.
This reminds me of (after 9/11) when the NSA was more worried about the little trainers crashing into the buildings than they were about the big airliners. They had their priorities (as usual) backwards. There was one guy that did crash a trainer into a building. It cracked up the trainer and killed the kamakaze pilot, but broke maybe a window or two in the building. Well back to the drawing board. Get back up there and try it again tomorrow.

This reminds me of (after 9/11) when the NSA was more worried about the little trainers crashing into the buildings than they were about the big airliners. They had their priorities (as usual) backwards. There was one guy that did crash a trainer into a building. It cracked up the trainer and killed the kamakaze pilot, but broke maybe a window or two in the building. Well back to the drawing board. Get back up there and try it again tomorrow.

Yes it's weird looking at flightradar now, so little in the skies.

Yes it's weird looking at flightradar now, so little in the skies.
Makes you wonder why they were in a hurry to get ADS-B going. Everybody's just as grounded as just after 9/11.

Not as busy...look at adsbexchange.com

Last edited:
Started before the virus concerns. FAA plans are for implementation of some variant of this during 2022.
It seems like they are really putting the hammer down to cease the elections. In fact, they are being held up right now.

There were some that were of the opinion that ADS-B was not really quite the solution they had in mind and even the original inventor has said that it has been completely modified from the way he had envisioned it.

The M2E has the ADS-B already in its systems, I have seen screen shots of it here on the forum.

Trouble is, only a small number of countries (if any yet !) have this on all manned aircraft, just commercial planes.
It's supposedly coming for all aircraft in the US ?
What about helis ?

Have to remember, it's a system for busy airspace, not under 400' (or 500' that most small aircraft are supposed to keep above).

If all aircraft, manned and unmanned had ADS-B, the system would probably not handle the 'business' of the screen / warnings to be useful.

I'd agree that like most things, there are laws out there and the majority of people do break them to some extent, some of the time. I don't think that's the issue. If you do get caught doing something illegal, ignorance rarely gets you let off. Knowing and taking the risk of being caught is one thing. Not knowing and getting caught is something else.
Canadian Criminal Code clearly states "Ignorance of the law is no excuse...", so I got my drone registered and just yesterday did the basic exam(since COVID-19 confinement, I have been brushing up on drone PIC requirements)easy test, scored 80%. I believe this instills a better sense of safety and responsibility for a pilot. I am a former Cessna 172 pilot with a great appreciation for the industry. It's following your training and obeying rules that keep us all safe while we fly.

The M2E has the ADS-B already in its systems, I have seen screen shots of it here on the forum.

Trouble is, only a small number of countries (if any yet !) have this on all manned aircraft, just commercial planes.
It's supposedly coming for all aircraft in the US ?
What about helis ?

Have to remember, it's a system for busy airspace, not under 400' (or 500' that most small aircraft are supposed to keep above).

If all aircraft, manned and unmanned had ADS-B, the system would probably not handle the 'business' of the screen / warnings to be useful.
Helis do have ADS-B and when it comes to them and airplanes in the same space...they have to yield way to airplanes. Yeah, low flying helis and high flying kites (quads), are at risk for collisions than the rest usually.

It was supposed to just be for over water and harsh Alaska, but for some reason everyone has to have it.

Helis do have ADS-B and when it comes to them and airplanes in the same space...they have to yield way to airplanes. Yeah, low flying helis and high flying kites (quads), are at risk for collisions than the rest usually.

It was supposed to just be for over water and harsh Alaska, but for some reason everyone has to have it.

Heli and light aircraft still have no requirement for ADS-B in many countries, including mine.
It's optional, but cost keeps it to larger commercial aircraft in general.

I feel it's a good system for large to medium manned aircraft, to keep track of those flights and in contact with ground needs for air traffic control.
It'd be more congested with it on small fixed wing and helis in some places . . . add drones too and it'd be hard to use it'd be so crowded at times, especially if commercial UAS delivery use gets off the ground (no pun intended) into the future as it may.

Remote ID is probably a better way to go like proposed for the US, modified to satisfy compliance requirements.

Other tech may also come along too, I'm sure DJI and other companies would be working on such concepts.

Heli and light aircraft still have no requirement for ADS-B in many countries, including mine.
It's optional, but cost keeps it to larger commercial aircraft in general.

I feel it's a good system for large to medium manned aircraft, to keep track of those flights and in contact with ground needs for air traffic control.
It'd be more congested with it on small fixed wing and helis in some places . . . add drones too and it'd be hard to use it'd be so crowded at times, especially if commercial UAS delivery use gets off the ground (no pun intended) into the future as it may.

Remote ID is probably a better way to go like proposed for the US, modified to satisfy compliance requirements.

Other tech may also come along too, I'm sure DJI and other companies would be working on such concepts.
The ADS-B In idea on DJI in the future...at least let's the drone watch out for the bigger guys...but nothing is going to be strong enough coming from a drone for the big guys to be able to pick up. The drones are less predictable about their motions that the real thing.

The drones in NAS is a definite pyramid change for the FAA, and it isn't quite working.

Most people felt like Remote ID will ground most of drones because of several factors and will only identify drones for LEO purposes. It won't do anything to prevent incursions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7