DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Flight rules....

Thanev

Reactions
I have been approached by the owner of a civilian aircraft at a private airstrip to video his "working"aircraft in flight.
I have discussed with him the logistics involving what we both consider to be safe flight procedures (ie:not on the direct flight path,not above the aircraft,not above 400 'AGL,not within 100ft.of operational personnel,etc.),and have established a direct line of communication between both parties during operations.The regulations are where I draw blank.
Any ideas as to what Transport Canada would say to this scenario?

In my opinion, your flight plan should not require an SFOC.

Depending on air space restrictions, which you describe may need an RPAS Flight Authorization.

I have researched the extremely strict and exclusive Transport Canada rules. Many have reported some portions of the rules are not currently possible to comply with. There are some aspects that are "broken", and hopefully they will be fixed sometime soon. I have no experience to tell you how receptive they are for requests for variations of rules.

Drone flight rules in Canada are complex and restrictive, I suspect purposely so. Take all my comments with a grain of salt because I'm just a dumb American.

Reactions: Thanev
I have been approached by the owner of a civilian aircraft at a private airstrip to video his "working"aircraft in flight.
I have discussed with him the logistics involving what we both consider to be safe flight procedures (ie:not on the direct flight path,not above the aircraft,not above 400 'AGL,not within 100ft.of operational personnel,etc.),and have established a direct line of communication between both parties during operations.The regulations are where I draw blank.
Any ideas as to what Transport Canada would say to this scenario?
Would it be correct to assume you have either a Basic or Advanced RPAS Pilot license?
If yes, you can apply for an SFOC online, (due to the airfield proximety). A second controller and flight crew member on the ground would be benneficial. l would also consider a third person to solely act as a "visual Observor" with effective communication between all ground personell.

Formation Flight
901.36 No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft in formation with other aircraft except by pre-arrangement between the pilots of the aircraft in respect of the intended flight.

Last edited:
I hold 100's of hours flying with basic.Both with quads and traditional aircraft.I also hold lots of hours in civilian aircraft
The pilot has agreed to supply a radio operator for real time communication.I would,of course ,introduce the radio operator to basic drone principles.The pilot is already aware of such.
The pilot and I have an agreement in principle to plot drone/aircraft positions with,of course,
allowances for accidental deviation,as well as emergency egress points for both the drone and the aircraft.The airstrip in question,as well as the overflight areas are on private land,but Transport Canada still holds some(?)control.Altitude levels for the drone at many times during flights would at many instances be greater than the aircraft height,but would still be below TC guidelines,with the aircraft flying a set pattern around the drone's position.
Safety is paramount,but bad things can happen.Can you think of any issues with this plan?Just dotting my T's and crossing my i's...

Reactions: LeeG
I hold 100's of hours flying with basic.Both with quads and traditional aircraft.I also hold lots of hours in civilian aircraft
The pilot has agreed to supply a radio operator for real time communication.I would,of course ,introduce the radio operator to basic drone principles.The pilot is already aware of such.
The pilot and I have an agreement in principle to plot drone/aircraft positions with,of course,
allowances for accidental deviation,as well as emergency egress points for both the drone and the aircraft.The airstrip in question,as well as the overflight areas are on private land,but Transport Canada still holds some(?)control.Altitude levels for the drone at many times during flights would at many instances be greater than the aircraft height,but would still be below TC guidelines,with the aircraft flying a set pattern around the drone's position.
Safety is paramount,but bad things can happen.Can you think of any issues with this plan?Just dotting my T's and crossing my i's...
I think you have it covered but I would point out that Transport Canada Regulations are not "guidlines." You still need to have line of sight etc. in accordance with the Regulations..

Just received a reply(canned) from Transport Canada.
After 3 weeks of waiting they advised me to fly safely and responsibly following Transport Canada rules for RPAS Operations.I will proceed as I meet the current laws, and have retained their reply for future reference.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters