DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't win for losing on this Android tablet situation.

Paulark

Reactions
I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....

Not all tablets are compatible with the Fly App.

Google "best tablets for DJI Fly" and you should be able to find very near the top a good list on a separate website that has a concise database for what will work and what will not work with the new app. I did the exact frustrating sequence as you did with my Samsung Tab A.

here's hyperlink to my search result, not sure if I am allowed to link to this or not though.... apologies in advance mods

Tablets for DJI FLy

I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....
I hate that you've had to spend so much already on getting your rig in the air but if you're able to return some or all of what you've already got, the ASUS Zenpad Z8S is what I've seen a lot of Android users have success with and it's a LOT cheaper than an iPad. They can be had for between 100-150 on eBay right now and I'd probably spend the extra few bucks on the SquareTrade warranty. Hope this helps!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Tablet recommendations for a Mavic Air 2?
I have a Samsung galaxy tab a ,android 8.1, 64gb rom, 2gb ram,10.5" 2018 but for some reason I can't install DJI fly app from anywhere don't know why as DJI say above android 6 is good,any ideas what tabs work with fly app for a decent price,,,,
Stress aswell DJI 4 app works with everything, ,, fly app needs an update

Tablet recommendations for a Mavic Air 2?
I have a Samsung galaxy tab a ,android 8.1, 64gb rom, 2gb ram,10.5" 2018 but for some reason I can't install DJI fly app from anywhere don't know why as DJI say above android 6 is good,any ideas what tabs work with fly app for a decent price,,,,
Stress aswell DJI 4 app works with everything, ,, fly app needs an update

If the DJI fly app won't install on your tablet, it is likely not a 64 OS.

Everyone trying to save a quick buck here, just spend the extra and get the iPad. DJI has made it very clear that they’ve focused more on iOS device functionality than android.
If you’re really so keen on using a tablet, just spend the extra and get an ipad. You won’t have issues and it’ll work flawlessly.
Also, I must mention that cheap android tablets have cheap screens with low nit brightness thus hard to see outside. Apple used much higher quality screens with best in class nit brightness that can easily be seen outdoors.

Not really about the bucks, I just never liked the iOS or owned any devices,always been android, I just wasn't wanna make the jump over, but looks like I am going to have to, have you any suggestions for a good iPad that will work with dgi fly app (not 4) mavic air 2.

I use the DJ Fly 1.1.4 with the 8-inch tab A with Android 9.1. You should get the file out of the Google store.Works fully with the original cable I have no problems.

There is more than 1 version of the Samsung Tab A. I have one and it's 32bit so it won't work. You must have a 64bit processor, I bought a Lenovo M8 for $100 and it works fine, you just have to sideload the Fly App. I designed and 3D printed an adapter and the OEM cable reaches and works fine.

have you any suggestions for a good iPad that will work with dgi fly app (not 4) mavic air 2.

Am using the iPad Mini myself which means it's still reasonably light, decent price, and works just fine with an Anker USB-C to lightning cable. The cable that comes with the controller is about an inch too short, or I would have used that.

It depends on the support you are using for the tablet.In my case the original cable was sufficient, as the support is simple.

Ok thanks so most tabs with 64 OS should work then, I was thinking mby a ram issue as mine only 2gb ram
DJI Go 4 runs on 32 bit and 64 bit tablets.
For some reason known only to DJI, they created the new DJI Fly app as a 64 bit program and it will not run in or install in 32 bit tablets.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569