DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't win for losing on this Android tablet situation.

@Meta4
not going to quote myself so just gonna add:
used (well, tried to use) Go4 app on:
1. Samsung Note 8 result: crash (multiple)
2. Samsung Tab S3 result: crash (multiple)
3. Samsung S20+ (plus Fly app) result: crash (multiple)
and
1. iPad 7th gen 2018 result: no crash (so far)
2. iPad mini 4 result: no crash (so far)
3. iPad mini 5 result: no crash (so far)

so guess, thats enough of data for me to make a choice
and I'm not gonna to force anyone to do the same

anyways, fly on whichever you like, just dont come back crying that you've lost your drone as a reason of app crash

thats my say,
have a nice day

I've stated it once and I'll say it again - DJI has made it clear to us that they have prioritized Apple/iOS over Android. The drone is sold in Apple stores for one. But, if you compare how DJI Fly runs on Android vs Apple directly, you'll see it's more stable and just runs smoother on iOS. If users of the drone are complaining about various Android tablets not running DJI Fly, but there's an easy solution "that just works" out of the box, of course we're going to recommend that. You shouldn't need to "go try this" or "go try that" to get it running. Sorry, but Apple is and always will be superior to user experience.

I work on the same principal as TESCO (Every Little Helps)
Larger screen more resolution what's not to like, works great. ?
I'm wearing glasses anyways so this dont really matters to me, even 7'' screen looks like 12'' ;) :D :D :D

I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....
Apologize in advance if my response doesn't lend anything. Apologies also if I make typos as the ads keep moving around my typing each time they pop up.

I've been using a Motorola G5s with no sim card for over a year, successfully. It's a phone a bought a few years ago and never activated it.
Then I switched to Moto e5 play. It worked really well. I use iPad too, but not with my drone. So I use apple as well.
No preference here for drone use.

Then a week or two ago there was a geo fencing update package. Updated both devices.

Now the Motorola e5 play thinks it needs a USB cable to connect. This is whathe yours did. Won't connect without USB although it is connected to the controller.

The first time after the update it connected. Once.
During flight it lost connection. Each attempt to use it thereafter it won't connect.
It thinks it wants a cable. It has the little cable.
So I went back to the Moto G5s.
It still works. No problem. So it's not the cable.
Neither device has a sim card.

So it seems some devices that used to work well, even as recent as weeks ago, may no longer work - and I wonder if an individual''s geo location is an issue with the configuration of the device software?
Sounds far fetched I know.
Piggyback coding is anyone's guess.

Regardless, any device which is not a controller may work for a while, or for a long time. Newer IOS will work for sure.

So the tablet you had may have been excellent for a long time. Thus the good reviews. Newer android devices should work. I'm curious. Do you connect from a metropolitan area or near energy power plants. My own curiosity.
Best wishes.

Last edited:
Pretty big flock of i-sheep in this thread.
i-sheep??? No, more like people that have tried both sides and know which one works better with DJI. I'm Android through and through but know which platform and tablet works best with DJI.

@crosswired the Android Apple discussion is so funny. Some people will just fight for their side no matter what and with no experience using both. I use to do the same thing and was the biggest Apple hater ever.

I'm a fan of tech and will used the tech that works best for what I'm doing.

But, if you compare how DJI Fly runs on Android vs Apple directly, you'll see it's more stable and just runs smoother on iOS.
That's a completely scientific and verifiable claim (not).
How can your recommended tablet possibly be more stable or run smoother than another that is completely stable and runs perfectly smoothly.

How can your recommended tablet possibly be more stable or run smoother than another that is completely stable and runs perfectly smoothly.
It's going to run smoother with less crashes on one platform over the other. It will never be a 50/50 split.

Does the MA2 box say made for Android or iPhone? Pretty sure it says made for iPhone. In fact the only reference to Android is about the dji Fly app and "Get it on Google Play".

DJI favors iOS over Android so why wouldn't it be smoother on iOS?

How many times do you see people posting about their iPad not working (not talking about complaints about 6 year old iPads either, even though they still sort-of work)? All those threads, like this one are about Android tablets not working.

As you have said yourself, many, many people have said it works better on iPads then Android tablets. I guess ALL of them are wrong and you are right...lol.

i-sheep??? No, more like people that have tried both sides and know which one works better with DJI. I'm Android through and through but know which platform and tablet works best with DJI.

@crosswired the Android Apple discussion is so funny. Some people will just fight for their side no matter what and with no experience using both. I use to do the same thing and was the biggest Apple hater ever.

I'm a fan of tech and will used the tech that works best for what I'm doing.
to be honest, if I wouldnt try both sides. I'd remain silent :)
checked both and picked option which works better for me so thats all my input here. Not saying which is in general better or not, its just my pure experience

Reactions: bp328i
Ok, if you want to get in to specifics about it, look up benchmarks of Apple's CPU/GPU benchmarks compared to your average run of the mill Android counterpart. Apple dominates the playing field in these benchmarks because they control the hardware development and software development in a single platform and are able to optimize end to end iOS and the applications that run on it.
Android on the other hand, runs on Qualcomm, Mediatek, Intel, etc and manufacturers of these devices get the OS to run on it but never truly optimize it the same way Apple does for iOS.
You can vouch all you want for Android because it's open source and blah blah, and trust me, I love this aspect of it too, but at the end of the day, Apple wins hands down for customer experience.

It's going to run smoother with less crashes on one platform over the other. It will never be a 50/50 split.
Now you're just making stuff up.
It couldn't possibly work equally well on both could it?
Does the MA2 box say made for Android or iPhone? Pretty sure it says made for iPhone. In fact the only reference to Android is about the dji Fly app and "Get it on Google Play".
Educate yourself on what the MFI program really is: MFi Program - Wikipedia
DJI favors iOS over Android so why wouldn't it be smoother on iOS?
But DJI doesn't favour one operating system over another.
As you have said yourself, many, many people have said it works better on iPads then Android tablets. I guess ALL of them are wrong and you are right...lol.
It's a common myth that people like you continue to repeat because they've heard others say it.
But that doesn't make it true.
Drone forums are full of myths.

Use whatever tablet works for you and whatever you like.
But don't try to mislead and confuse inexperienced flyers that the must use Apple devices to fly properly.
Because it's just not true.

DJI favors iOS over Android so why wouldn't it be smoother on iOS? /snip here
on the box it states clearly 'Made for iPhone' so my guess is, further discussion would be complete waste of time and space :) DJI have chosen for us :D

• Love
Reactions: pfhemi and bp328i
Reactions: pfhemi
I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....
To buy a Ferrari and than put cheap plastic rubber tyres on it won't work either !!

Reactions: crosswired
But don't try to mislead and confuse inexperienced flyers that the must use Apple devices to fly properly.

No one here is misleading anyone about using Apple vs Android. It's turned in to the biggest debate of tech's 21st century "Apple or Android?". No one said you have to use Apple to fly properly.
What we ARE saying, is that you'll get a much better experience by using an ipad mini 5 or any other latest Apple product paired with your drone because they just plain work without issues or trying all of the thousands of Android tablets flooded on the market.

/snip here
I dont care about MFi or whatever it is, all I want is to take my drone out off the box and fly safely ...and I've found, as its says on the box, best way is to use apple device.
well, it isnt completely true as I've tried android devices before was pushed by the apps itself to get apple :) ... and got no issues

guess whos the winner?

Reactions: bp328i
Now you're just making stuff up.
It couldn't possibly work equally well on both could it?
This is actually laughable. You really think that two different operating systems running the same program will have the exact same bugs.

No one is making anything up but you just showed how uneducated you are about this subject.

I know exactly what it is, DJI went out of there way and became MFi certified. It's not required to be printed on their box.

But DJI doesn't favour one operating system over another.
And that's why new features are pushed out to iOS first?

It's a common myth that people like you continue to repeat because they've heard others say it.
But that doesn't make it true.
Drone forums are full of myths.

I haven't "heard" other people say it, I've experienced it for myself.

Nobody has ever said someone "must use Apple devices to fly properly" please show me one place that has been said.

Noticed you chose to skip over all the complaints about Android tablets and lack there of for current iPads, wonder why?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre