DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't win for losing on this Android tablet situation.

@bp328i hahaha I love my Samsung phones too, currently on S20+ :)
I'm not a huge fan of locked down bootloaders and being in the US Samsung locks all their phones down now. I've been rooting since the OG Moto Droid. I got away from Samsung when they locked the bootloader on the Note 5. I don't have as much time to compile ROMs for phones anymore so I gave Samsung a try again with the S10+. They have came a long way since TouchWiz.

I currently jump back-and-forth between my OnePlus and Note 10+.

I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....
I use a Samsung S5e. Absolutely no problems. Connects every time. The problem is some tablets will no run 64bit programs. Everything looks fine until you connect with the drone.

Get a 5e. You will be glad you did. I also use my Note 8. Works fine.

One more question 8inch or 10inch buying tomorrow
your call mate,
I'd go for better specs and if the same, probably 8'' as its handier to carry around ...and wearing glasses anyways so screen size makes not so much difference for me :)

Reactions: britdub
This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0...After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy.
Well you sure cooked up a firestorm! I found that there are quality differences in various cables. Ones rated for USB 3 seem the best. I have attached a picture with my DJI Fly and Mavic Mini setup. Note that Android devices draw about 500 mA from the controller. This can be ameliorated with a power bank and OTG Y cable. I prefer to hot glue a short adapter cable to the controller. It allows for versatility without wearing out that particular plug.

the Samsung Tab A 8 SM T-290 with 2 GB ram and Quad Core, Ships with Android 9 and immediately updates to 10 is both 64 bit Architecture and 64 bit Android. Recently it sold for $183 Cdn at Costco. I have 2 and they work great. You have to download the apk from DJI to the tablet and install. It is not listed on Play Store.

Also note that the compatible devices list on this board that starts with a huge list of Apple devices and claims to be up to date based on Board Members input does not include the above 8" Samsung.

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20191204_163649.jpg
    20191204_163649.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
I tried a Samsung Tab A 8 SM T-290 today and the video was a bit jerky. Not nearly as smooth as my Galaxy S10. Looks like this one is going back.

Reactions: crosswired
I hate that you've had to spend so much already on getting your rig in the air but if you're able to return some or all of what you've already got, the ASUS Zenpad Z8S is what I've seen a lot of Android users have success with and it's a LOT cheaper than an iPad. They can be had for between 100-150 on eBay right now and I'd probably spend the extra few bucks on the SquareTrade warranty. Hope this helps!
Just read this and so happens I just bought a brand new Asus Zenpad 8 (ZT582KL). I'm also having the same experience with it not connecting to the DJI Fly app. I'm using the Fly More cable that came with it, which works great on my Note 8 phone. Anyway, I have a ne longer cable ordered from PGYTECH and hope that will fix the issue... but not holding my breath. Please jeep us updated, but can ANYONE please let me know if you have this same Zenpad model working for you? Very frustrating.

I tried a Samsung Tab A 8 SM T-290 today and the video was a bit jerky. Not nearly as smooth as my Galaxy S10. Looks like this one is going back.

I had the same thing I turned off the video caching and put the setting on smooth instead of HD cleared up the jerkiness. Not saying this is a great tablet, but it works and is cheap.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I had the same thing I turned off the video caching and put the setting on smooth instead of HD cleared up the jerkiness. Not saying this is a great tablet, but it works and is cheap.
I can also confirm that turning off the video caching and using the smooth setting eliminates the jerky video issues on SM T-290 tablet.

your call mate,
I'd go for better specs and if the same, probably 8'' as its handier to carry around ...and wearing glasses anyways so screen size makes not so much difference for me :)
Any ide what the lite means on the m5 ? I've googled but can't find any reason for it being a lite

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial