DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't win for losing on this Android tablet situation.

I've had good luck with my Asus Zenpad 3s 10 using DJI Fly and Mavic Air 2 (and Mavic Air for that matter). I use a mount that clamps into the remote controller and holds the tablet above that. I also use a sunshade on the tablet. Only challenge was to find a long enough but not too long USB-C cable.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'm just sitting over here with my S20 Ultra, Galaxy Tab S6 (all hail large scale OLED screens that have proven daylight visible even here in Arizona's blazing sun,) and my old S10+. All of which handle flight, caching, audio recording, gps, etc. flawlessly.

As for some comments on horsepower, all three of these devices edit my 4k video smoothly too, which was a large part of why I wanted a tablet (in addition to the obvious screen size benefits for flight.)

Had a FREE iPad that I tried. It definitely worked too, but since I can stay in the world I'm used to, there's zero reason to use an Apple device for me. Thank god.

Oh, and expandable storage. Got 1TB in this tablet in addition to the 256GB onboard. Also easily handles USB storage. Got a nice Anker mini dock that lets me attach external hard drives (like the ones from my Atomos Ninja V capturing footage from the EOS R,) or SD cards for when I need to edit still photos from the same, or micro SD so I can add in footage from the GoPros. (Tablet also handles editing those files which is impressive. 4k in HEVC is not easy for any hardware to handle smoothly.)

And not a single lightning cable need be present. (Admittedly, the newer iPadPros ALMOST won me over when they went to USB C, but I still can't stand IOS, or the obscene price tag and overpriced storage.)

Paid ~$650 6 months ago on sale at BestBuy, including the keyboard cover too. It's already coming down in price vs normal retail as the S7 is preparing to launch pretty soon. Could be some great deals to be had on a 10.5in tablet that is essentially a giant S10+ as far as internal spec sheet goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
Very sorry to hear of your frustration. I bought the same tablet about a month ago and the Freewell tablet mount, it came with the cable and everything has work flawless. FYI it is a ver9 Android tablet. Same model you stated. Hope you get a solution soon, Will
Sorry I believe you have a Mavic Air and I a Mavic Pro, might make a difference....

Last edited:
I have a 10" tablet which wont work with the dji fly app, i gave in and bought an ipad 4th generation that runs ios 10.3.3 and this wont allow the playstore to download the DJIfly app either. I am only going this tablet route because i have trouble seeing the screen on my phone in bright sunshine. Back to my old phone then!!!

I had nothing but bad luck with androids of all brands and types with all DJI products and switched to IOS which works great and then to the CS which is best of all. I found IOS works best with DJI but horrible with Autel but for some reason the CS works with both although no maps on the Autel but I can live with that.

Hate to say it, Android just does not work as well as Apple for DJI platform. I have a 10.1 Android tablet, latest software, and always have issues. My iPhone 11 Pro Max is rock solid. At 800 nits you can see it in bright sun and it’s fast. Most tablets are below 500 nits.

I have the S5e and it works great for DJI Go app...I don't have the Mini or the MA2 so I can't speak for the Fly app but I suspect it would be good
Maybe, but not necessarily. It seems many are having problems with tablets that run the Go app fine, but can’t handle the Fly app. A lot of people talking about how great their tablets are, but they aren’t flying an MA2 (What this section is for).

Last edited:
Not really about the bucks, I just never liked the iOS or owned any devices,always been android, I just wasn't wanna make the jump over, but looks like I am going to have to, have you any suggestions for a good iPad that will work with dgi fly app (not 4) mavic air 2.

For those like me who don't wish to pay an arm and a leg for an 8 inch tablet for your MA2 (or other), or those like me who simply refuse to buy Apple, I i bought a refurbished ASUS Zenpad Z8 (ZT582KL) from Amazon for $149. This is a 64 bit CPU, 3gb RAM tablet, and works fantastically smooth with the DJI FLY app.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Am using the iPad Mini myself which means it's still reasonably light, decent price, and works just fine with an Anker USB-C to lightning cable. The cable that comes with the controller is about an inch too short, or I would have used that.
i just bought a used ipad mini 4 gen and connected up fine in go 4 app , drone works on first test inside without flying or recording but during the 25 minutes i had it bench running inside my house i was disappointed to get one "mobile device cpu over;load " warning, so im not trusting it. back to my iphone 6 s which works flawlessly.

For those like me who don't wish to pay an arm and a leg for an 8 inch tablet for your MA2 (or other), or those like me who simply refuse to buy Apple, I i bought a refurbished ASUS Zenpad Z8 (ZT582KL) from Amazon for $149. This is a 64 bit CPU, 3gb RAM tablet, and works fantastically smooth with the DJI FLY app.

Can't find that one listed on Amazon. Do you have a link?

i just bought a used ipad mini 4 gen and connected up fine in go 4 app , drone works on first test inside without flying or recording but during the 25 minutes i had it bench running inside my house i was disappointed to get one "mobile device cpu over;load " warning, so im not trusting it. back to my iphone 6 s which works flawlessly.

You are talking about the go4 app? This is about the MA2 running the DJI Fly app.

I am using a Tab A 8" with my Mavic Air 2 with no issues. The cable that was included with the drone reaches the port just fine. Why did you need a different one?

I am using a Tab A 8" with my Mavic Air 2 with no issues. The cable that was included with the drone reaches the port just fine. Why did you need a different one?

I couldn't get the Tab A to work to my satisfaction so I sent it back. I turned off video cache and it was still a bit too choppy. It works perfectly on my galaxy S10, but I'd like an 8 inch tablet.

I couldn't get the Tab A to work to my satisfaction so I sent it back. I turned off video cache and it was still a bit too choppy. It works perfectly on my galaxy S10, but I'd like an 8 inch tablet.
get ipad mini5 mate, no issues at all :)

Reactions: Parrotoid
I use the DJ Fly 1.1.4 with the 8-inch tab A with Android 9.1. You should get the file out of the Google store.Works fully with the original cable I have no problems.
I use the Samsung SM-T290 TabA 2019 8" tablet,. I side loaded the 1.1.4 Fly app, uninstalled or disabled the unnecessary apps to get gain more of the 2MB of RAM, changed the transmission link in the Fly app to Medium from HD. I still do the video cache and get very little FPV video stutter. The video lag is normal at about 1/4 second and all seems good so far. I use the DJI Micro USB cable that came with the MA2. There is no case or cover on the tablet. I designed and 3D printed an extender so the tablet fits into the controller. I also designed and 3D printed a collapsible sun shade for the tablet. I may go with a iPad Mini 5 later. I am happy with the setup thus far.Samsung TabA Sun Shade1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: crosswired
Take a look at this topic: Mavic 2 remote no longer working with Android tablet, from March 7th.

I had the same issue that time, and concluded that the M2 RC was not able to offer enogh current to galaxy Tab 8, but it worked fine with galaxy A10. Maybe because it is smaller and may need less current.
I don't think it's a fair comparison. Different drone, different control, different app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661