DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't win for losing on this Android tablet situation.

I have a 2016 10.1 Tab A with 6.0.1 w/ Exynos 7 Octa 64 ARM V8-a so even the instruction set meets standard on every variant of Fly. I haven't read everything on this thread 1. I don't give a **** about what iOS does 2. No help becuase it's not their problem. iOS still sucks however this this looks like it might have to be the usb, my tab a has worked since like 2018. I'm using pie on a 2019 samsung mobile type c and no issues. I wouldn't change my platform over it because I use windows..anyone using the 2019 Tab A 8' which I know is working for some I'd go with the cable and buy from a trusted source. You can side-load and root..hell add a custom rom, if the drone is your occupation adapt and overcome. You don't want anyone hurt or cause damage over an app. This is forward moving technology at a rapid rate so consider a smart controller over iOS. Check the buzz on reddit or github also...good luck!

Last edited:
yeah... crystalsky and smart remote doesnt work with fly app ...
and sideloading, rooting and all that mambo jambo when you can get mini 5 and forget about any issues... well done :)

Reactions: bp328i
You have the iPad Mini 5 yet you still have more issues than Time magazine. Let's frame it with the toilet bowl seat as a plaque! Send the guy a mini 5 so he can fly the drone and we will see if it works yea?

You have the iPad Mini 5 yet you still have more issues than Time magazine. Let's frame it with the toilet bowl seat as a plaque! Send the guy a mini 5 so he can fly the drone and we will see if it works yea?
...you're so wrong lol
...so far I've had ZERO issues :)

Reactions: bp328i
We're all very glad for you! He wants to keep compatible plus he knows the platform it's not socket rience it's a drone. He will love iOS if you donate to the economic relief.

We're all very glad for you! He wants to keep compatible plus he knows the platform it's not socket rience it's a drone. He will love iOS if you donate to the economic relief.
...and what your point is......?

I had noth
I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....
Nothing but problems with Apple devices. I had three iphones and an Ipad, all of which caused problems because Apple kept screwing up my passwords for the login. I cost me many pounds in phone calls getting new accounts setup with new passwords set up so older apps could be connected and updated. Then the last time I just took the devices and scrapped them. Now only using Android. No problems with daft almost impossible security changes by Apple. Huawei, a company with possible security problems (real or imagined) sells good devices. I am using two of their pads and two of their P 20 pro phones. All of which are USB-C devices.

Reactions: "Speedy"
That he wants an edumacated solution that may have flexibility..it was so nice to meet you and please share some video from Dublin..it always looks very beautiful. Hope to speak with you soon again!!
View attachment 105262

Attachments

• DJI_0281.JPG
    DJI_0281.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 10
I had noth

Nothing but problems with Apple devices. I had three iphones and an Ipad, all of which caused problems because Apple kept screwing up my passwords for the login. I cost me many pounds in phone calls getting new accounts setup with new passwords set up so older apps could be connected and updated. Then the last time I just took the devices and scrapped them. Now only using Android. No problems with daft almost impossible security changes by Apple. Huawei, a company with possible security problems (real or imagined) sells good devices. I am using two of their pads and two of their P 20 pro phones. All of which are USB-C devices.
...Im feeling for you but its completely unrelated :) I tried to use android devices with dji but dropped it due to issues which never happened to me when on ios.
just scroll through forums, I didnt see any topic related to issues with apple devices, well, ipad mini4 got issues but it can be solved in a few seconds :)

Reactions: Physopto
That he wants an edumacated solution that may have flexibility..it was so nice to meet you and please share some video from Dublin..it always looks very beautiful. Hope to speak with you soon again!!
View attachment 105262
I'm not saying that android devices are bad as there are at least a few well capable (using Samsung phone myself) but due to huge hardware diversity, dji app will be less optimised than its ios version :)
about videos, got a very few
enjoy :)

@Physopto I'm going through versions of Go 4 with the tab just to do it like samples. I found I can run two at the same time. It's an awesome tablet, the fly app not so much..but I guess it's all work in progress. The Mali-G71 MP2 gpu looks really nice on AMOLED is really nice! I knew the Tab A's micro usb was gonna go when DJI decided to make the move onto straight type c. I had one laying around from StarTech to try and test out but didn't have to, a lot of company's weren't meeting advertised standard on transfer rate so oh well. It's working great here!

@Physopto I'm going through versions of Go 4 with the tab just to do it like samples. I found I can run two at the same time. It's an awesome tablet, the fly app not so much..but I guess it's all work in progress. The Mali-G71 MP2 gpu looks really nice on AMOLED is really nice! I knew the Tab A's micro usb was gonna go when DJI decided to make the move onto straight type c. I had one laying around from StarTech to try and test out but didn't have to, a lot of company's weren't meeting advertised standard on transfer rate so oh well. It's working great here!

Glad you found something that does what you want.
StarTech seem to be very good, I have several of their cables and devices lying about and some in use. AMOLED devices are or seem to be really colourful but have been told that they can suffer from burn in. I refer to Morovio devices there. Don't know as not received mine yet. My Huawei phones (AMOLED) and tablets don't show any burn in as yet. As to USB-C meeting transfer rates I can't comment as this is recent to my experience. But some websites say the shorter the USB-C cable faster transfer is possible.

I'm not saying that android devices are bad as there are at least a few well capable (using Samsung phone myself) but due to huge hardware diversity, dji app will be less optimised than its ios version :)
about videos, got a very few
enjoy :)

I loved Ireland whilst I was over there. Unfortunately not spent any time in Dublin. Visited and stayed around the Dingle area. Been to Cork on a anchor handler and had best pint of Murphy's ever had.

Reactions: crosswired
Yea that looks awesome!! Yes but my Sony's firmware is android too. The new air now makes 3 dji's and the new app, lightroom and resolve I'm really keeping my options open for the next dedicated device. At the moment it's gonna need to run both apps too.

I loved Ireland whilst I was over there. Unfortunately not spent any time in Dublin. Visited and stayed around the Dingle area. Been to Cork on a anchor handler and had best pint of Murphy's ever had.
Dublin is overrated and rip-off , mate :)
wast coast is much nicer with all cliffs and ancient stuff

I have had more stress in the past few days trying to solve the problems of my android tablets not connecting.....than I had after my first mavic air dropped the signal and peaced out to parts unknown.

This past Sunday, I purchased the Samsung Tab A 8.0 (wifi only) after seeing all the rave reviews that people had given it using the GO 4 app. After loading everything onto the machine, I get to the part where I need to connect the remote to the tablet. What's this?!?! A brand new tablet that is still using a MICRO USB cable when everything else is clearly using USB-C. So for the next 7 hours, I make phone calls and drive around to nine different stores (not exaggerating) to try and find a Micro-USB (tablet) to USB-C (controller) cable.

I do not succeed. After spending 60 bucks on various cables, adapters, and chargers...the best I can do is male micro-USB to male USB connected to female USB to male USB-C. This actually DID work, but the transmission feed showed up laggy and choppy. Well, a half-second lag in transmission would mean that there would be no doubt I would crash the aircraft, because I've already been close a couple of times. That lag would have pushed it over the edge. I've got it insured, I like to live dangerously.

So I finally give up. Get all the packaging back together and get it ready to take back. I also call the store and have them check the charging port on the 10.1" version. After he replied that it was in fact a USB-C port, I jumped for joy, danced a little jig and out the door I went. I get to the store and exchange the 8" for the 10.1". I then reload all the apps. When it comes to downloading the Fly App, it downloads just fine. However, after multiple attempts, it has become clear that this app (for whatever reason) won't even install on the 10.

This type of hassle just seems like it should be completely unnecessary. THREE DAYS is far too much time to spend trying to get this app to work. So what's the play here? Try and find a used iPad somewhere? Even though I have never owned a single Apple device, or keep trying to find an android device that may or may not work.. Advice, please....

I have had great success with the Galaxy Tab S6. It has USB C and is very fast. I have no issues using the DJI Fly app and it seems to stay bright enough for me to operate the MA2 with no issues on a sunny day.

Someone I watched on YouTube had posted links for these on Etsy for a simple cheap and secure tablet mount solution that works for the Tab S6:

Last edited:
Reactions: "Speedy"
Myself and others are using Tab A 8.0 without problems. Must be 2019 model running Android 9 Pie. My specific model number is SM-T290NZKAXAR but I think any starting with SM-T290 will work. In my case the DJI Fly app installed automatically when I synced the tablet with my Galaxy A70 phone but others have reported that they had to download the apk file directly from DJI website and execute manually instead of installing through the Play Store. -Reddit

I hate that you've had to spend so much already on getting your rig in the air but if you're able to return some or all of what you've already got, the ASUS Zenpad Z8S is what I've seen a lot of Android users have success with and it's a LOT cheaper than an iPad. They can be had for between 100-150 on eBay right now and I'd probably spend the extra few bucks on the SquareTrade warranty. Hope this helps!

I use an ASUS Zenpad Z8S for my Mavic Air 1, but it crashes everytime with the DJI Fly for my Mavic Air 2. Can't use it for the MA2. So I got an Ipad mini 4 for the MA2. So far no problems.

Planning to upgrade for an IPad mini 5 for the MA2, move the iPad mini 4 to the MA1 and sell the ASUS Zenpad Z8S .

I had noth

Would never have anything Apple over rated over priced and over here (UK)
Was Samsung for years now it's Huawei all the way.

Ok so I'm nearly certain this is the problem. The ARMv8 architecture introduces 64-bit support to the ARM architecture with a focus on power-efficient implementation while maintaining compatibility with existing 32-bit software. By adopting a clean approach ARMv8-A processors extend the performance range available while maintaining the low power consumption characteristics of the ARM processors that will power tomorrow's most innovative and efficient devices. ARM has 3 different product tiers supporting the ARMv8-A architecture: High Performance, High Efficiency, and Ultra-High Efficiency. So can't run a 64-bit app W/ a 64-bit chip on a 32-bit OS energy saver. :)

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52