DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Care Refresh question

whazzup

Reactions
Having ordered the new Mini 3, my attention turns to Care Refresh. I tried to find a specific thread addressing this, to no avail.

I expect to use the drone over water, mostly brackish, but possibly some salt water. I have read about the sensors misinterpreting water and the drone not operating appropriately. So the question is: if I fail to properly land the drone (for whatever reason) and it falls in the water and is irretrievable, is that covered as a "flyaway" event? Or is it not covered and I should consider an alternate, third-party insurance plan? Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: Rchawks
See Meta4's response (#3) . . .

I would say it is not covered, you 'can not' retrieve it so straight forward care refresh is out. It did not fly away, it crashed and was lost so flyaway is out......perhaps unless it lost connection whilst airborne.

There is a recent thread, either here of on the DJI Forum, where the pilot flew the drone into trees on a steep side of an Indonesian Island, the drone could not be recovered. I do not know if the matter was resolved.

Whoops.......the thread I was thinking of is the one in Skywatcher2001's post#2.

Last edited:
Thanks for that reference I see the thread and just waiting to hear if it was covered. Are scenario. Lost at sea, not technically a “fly away” with lost communication. I believe the following covers pilot error crash, lost at sea or in the trees. It merely states “… drones lost during flight…”

Happy to hear feedback from others.

==============
What Does DJI Care Refresh Include?
DJI Care Refresh covers multiple scenarios, including drones lost during flight, water damage, collisions and drops. You also get additional services from DJI such as express option, free shipping, priority service and support.

I thought it mean if you cant recover your drone, pay the replacement fee and you get another one. No?

I thought it mean if you cant recover your drone, pay the replacement fee and you get another one. No?
Yes, if you recover the drone it’s the lower fee.
Care Refresh also covers flyaway or even pilot error issues, water damage etc, with a higher fee payable.
For that you don’t need a ‘body’, just a flight log showing it blowing away, flying off, or crashing into the sea of other inaccessible place.
This is for Care Refresh and the extended Care Refresh Plus if taken up for year 2.

Reactions: oztx
Yes, if you recover the drone it’s the lower fee.
Care Refresh also covers flyaway or even pilot error issues, water damage etc, with a higher fee payable.
For that you don’t need a ‘body’, just a flight log showing it blowing away, flying off, or crashing into the sea of other inaccessible place.
This is for Care Refresh and the extended Care Refresh Plus if taken up for year 2.
@chong67 @whazzup @MAvic_South_Oz @Yorkshire_Pud

Any advice on how I should respond to this email regarding my claim? I just filed it yesterday. Last night flyaway coverage was rejected. Over the weekend of the 4th I lost my new 2S into a lake. Unrecoverable…

I have had two drones with the DJI insurance since 2017 and have never made a claim.

For your case XXXXXX, we have finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode in this flight.
2. Flight Time T=00:54 , Relative Height H=0.4 m, Distance to Home Point D=129.7 m, the pilot pulled down the throttle stick and pushed forward the pitch stick, the aircraft crashed into the water when it was flying forward while descending.
3. Incident coordinate: 43.5616095, -86.4759071

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by pilot's misoperation.

If you could not recover the product and consider purchasing another one, we can offer you a 15% off discount for DJI AIR 2S without the charger and remote controller. Please kindly send us the following information if you would like to accept the offer:

It would probably be best to post the log here so that Slup etc. can analyse it.
But and assuming DJI's analysis is correct and you flew the drone into the lake then according to my understanding of the Flyaway insurance you have no claim. Sorry.
Of course if my understanding is incorrect I welcome correction.

I can't comment on care refresh plus, I know nothing of it. My 'knowledge' of the working of Flyaway cover comes from a few posts I have read here or on the DJI forum and a couple of read throughs of the Flyaway FAQ, it may well be outdated.

I thought the Flyaway and the drone cannot be found, if it is pilot error, it is $700+ to replace. I have the M3.

Just had to check it out to refresh my memory, no pun intended.

It's plain old Care Refresh, or Care Refresh +.

The mini 3 pro example . . .

Care Refresh

Buy DJI Care Refresh 1-Year Plan (DJI Mini 3 Pro) - DJI Store

This supposedly covers "collision, water damage, flyaway, natural wear, and other accidental damage".
Sort of covers everything, yes ?
2 replacements in the year, slightly more for a second Care Refresh replacement if needed.

If you don't have the 'body' you pay an even higher replacement fee.

Care Refresh + is exactly the same, except if covers 2 years from the outset, and you get 3 replacements in that time.
(2 of those can be flyaways, again for the much higher replacement fee.)

Buy DJI Care Refresh 2-Year Plan (DJI Mini 3 Pro) - DJI Store

So either option seems to cover a lot more with the higher fee payable, BUT maybe for all cases except the flyaway situation, you are expected to get the aircraft body back to them ?

I expect this is the case with the OPs analysis and explanation of not being covered.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
I thought Care Refresh Plus covered almost all incidents without a ‘body’ ?
I’ve read posts here about simply paying the higher fee in the Care programme.
Or do you have to take out Plus as well as an option ?
Same

I am wondering what the coverage is for if the drone is lost and they quickly shut down your claim citing pilot error. I updated the firmware twice that morning. Person with me says a bird may have forced it down. Can they remotely pull images (assuming no since the drone is lost)

Attachments

• DJI Flyaway FAQ lost or stolen.png
    DJI Flyaway FAQ lost or stolen.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 11
see the attached from DJI Care Refresh - DJI

It would also be worth having a look at the Terms of service https://terra-1-g.djicdn.com/851d20f7b9f64838a34cd02351370894/DJI Care Service Term/DJI Care Service Term-HG703/Terms of Service of DJI Care Refresh.pdf

I think 2.4.2 6) needs careful assessment

Stolen I can understand, and often that can be included in your home contents 'portables' cover . . .
But that text is very confusing, isn't it ?

Care Refresh can't be used if 'accidentally lost' (what, as in misplaced ?)
But is covered if an 'accident' occurs ?

An accident, that's what the OP seems to have had happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu