DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casey Neistat under FAA investigation

Mavic Ray

Reactions
During his vlog about the DJI Spark he very briefly mentions it at 1:35. Someone said in the comments section that people were reporting him to the FAA and referencing his videos. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Last edited:
That is the type of clown that gets us regulated right out of flying. Maybe I have to drive 15 miles to fly in an unrestricted zone. So be it. A seagull brought down a huge jetliner in the Hudson. The Mavic is a hell of a lot harder than a seagull.

Reactions: MavicScot
Yep seen it too, And I concur its about time. Dude probably thought he was above the law. He has enough money to pay the fine, but he might have to serve some time, But yes it was long overdue, he should of got a warning from them a long time ago at-least.

That is the type of clown that gets us regulated right out of flying. Maybe I have to drive 15 miles to fly in an unrestricted zone. So be it. A seagull brought down a huge jetliner in the Hudson. The Mavic is a **** of a lot harder than a seagull.

Must of missed that one with the seagull bringing down a huge jetliner, but do recall one going into the hudson after the engines injested a large flock of -several times bigger than a seagull - Canada geese; -)

Do agree with that people doing stupid things with drones then having the stupidity to post them should be banned from flying anything more than a paper airplane for life, no exceptions

I belive Commercial Aircraft engines are designed to handle (push trough) medium sized birds, at least take that into count when you guys predict Armageddon. And I solely belive that mavic pro wouldn't even be considered medium sized bird.

Aren't you guys amazed to wake up each morning and that world was not swallowed by a black hole or someone decided not to start a nuclear war last night? All those years and none of your darkest, horrible predictions have happen?
Really, cause I am really amazed by it....

.... Amount of negativity, gosh.!!!

Odd... many people on this forum think it's perfectly fine to break the law as long as you are not "hurting" anyone. Then there are threads like this... where someone has not "hurt" anyone but people think they should be fined and thrown in jail. Only difference... one person is famous.

How many people above who were critical have _ever_ flown beyond VLOS? Ever flown over a group of people? Ever flown within 5 miles of _any_ airport for hobby use and not called them?

Truth is, there are a TON (thousands, hundred's of thousands) of people on YT who post similar videos. Neistat just tends to be a much larger target because he has a huge following. He's also posted in a prior video that he was going to become more safe when flying drones (and in other aspects of his life).

Do I condone what he does with a drone? Not 100%. I think 99% of what is done is just fine.

Me! I play by rules. Just like I use to obey all the editing rules in all the photography contests I am enlisting my DSLR pictures (otherwise I would be immediately disqualified), I would never enlist a video where I have clearly used my drone against the law; yet look how many videos are getting money from shots taken above massive crowds etc. Go visit AirVuz for example, and see how many award winning videos are nominated there, shot obviously over National Parks in the USA! So yes, of course I get pissed when I see guys like Niestat acting the way he did before getting questioned by the FAA.

Reactions: Matchlock
Odd... many people on this forum think it's perfectly fine to break the law as long as you are not "hurting" anyone. Then there are threads like this... where someone has not "hurt" anyone but people think they should be fined and thrown in jail. Only difference... one person is famous.

How many people above who were critical have _ever_ flown beyond VLOS? Ever flown over a group of people? Ever flown within 5 miles of _any_ airport for hobby use and not called them?

Truth is, there are a TON (thousands, hundred's of thousands) of people on YT who post similar videos. Neistat just tends to be a much larger target because he has a huge following. He's also posted in a prior video that he was going to become more safe when flying drones (and in other aspects of his life).

Do I condone what he does with a drone? Not 100%. I think 99% of what is done is just fine.
You do realize there are a ton of airports and heliports around, not to mention millions of people on the ground, flying out of line of sight in most cases in the country isn't as dangerous as what he's been doing, flying out of line of sight is against the guidelines but flying so close to many heliports and airports could be considered ignorance and malice.

You do realize there are a ton of airports and heliports around, not to mention millions of people on the ground, flying out of line of sight in most cases in the country isn't as dangerous as what he's been doing, flying out of line of sight is against the guidelines but flying so close to many heliports and airports could be considered ignorance and malice.

Isn't there any mention in the forum guidelines about starting posts with "you do realize...."?

I thing it should be punished by lifelong ban at minimum, even jailtime.

You do realize thow many people's perfectly fine evening is completely ruined because of knowitalls who commit such communication crimes?

(Find this arrogant reply I made? I'm just schooling you and teach you how to act. Just the way you are schooling people on how to fly and how not to.....)

Me! I play by rules. Just like I use to obey all the editing rules in all the photography contests I am enlisting my DSLR pictures (otherwise I would be immediately disqualified), I would never enlist a video where I have clearly used my drone against the law; yet look how many videos are getting money from shots taken above massive crowds etc. Go visit AirVuz for example, and see how many award winning videos are nominated there, shot obviously over National Parks in the USA! So yes, of course I get pissed when I see guys like Niestat acting the way he did before getting questioned by the FAA.

So just wondering... what is the furthest you've ever flown any drone?

So you are also just as mad about the tens of thousands of people that have done the same as Neistat?

My point... to start a thread (not you) pointing out that he mentioned an FAA investigation is interesting. However, to have people say how mad they are at him directly and how he's the devil for flying like he does is really obnoxious. It's being done because he's very well known and successful. Why not the outrage against everyone else? Why are some people on this form okay with people flying in national parks around people but think someone's the devil when they fly as Neistat does? Heck, Neistat is being investigated... no actual charges at this time. Yet, we clearly see people in violation of known laws and people seem not to care. Odd how that works.

Yes and yet another Casey thread which is going to OT now
and if it gets disruptive then ...You Know :)

You do realize thow many people's perfectly fine evening is completely ruined because of knowitalls who commit such communication crimes?

"You do realize there are a ton of airports and heliports around, not to mention millions of people on the ground, flying out of line of sight in most cases in the country isn't as dangerous as what he's been doing:

It did not take long for someone to show my point. What _they_ do illegally is perfectly fine. When someone else does something illegal with a drone (as long as they are famous) they should be stoned. After all, they are so different then the posters here.

Reactions: The_IanN
@tcope: I am flying my drone as my local laws allow & regulate it. And for example if my country's laws require aircraft registration (which by the way cost 90 (ninety!) EUR), then I did that too, although many people told me that I am a fool for doing this; since "nobody will know whether your drone up in the sky is registered or not; nobody will call the police, nobody will know that the flying drone belongs to you etc. etc.". I have a lot of good, money earning ideas regarding drone usage in the cities, yet for I am not allowed by my country's laws to fly my drone within city limits, well, then I obey them and simply don't fly there. Not because I don't want to earn money, but because my reputation and fear of a serious conviction is worth more than the money I would earn by doing illegal stuff.
In my opinion, earning money or winning prizes by shooting photos or videos taken under illegal conditions, just under the cover of: "OH, BUT LOOK HOW NICE THE FOOTAGE IS!!" - simply does not work for me. It's just like ignoring the fact that Lance Armstrong took drugs to win all those 7 Tour de France rounds ("OH, BUT WHY DO YOU PICK ON HIM, JUST BECAUSE HE IS FAMOUS!")- and yet that's exactly what Neistat & the likes of him did.

"You do realize there are a ton of airports and heliports around, not to mention millions of people on the ground, flying out of line of sight in most cases in the country isn't as dangerous as what he's been doing:

It did not take long for someone to show my point. What _they_ do illegally is perfectly fine. When someone else does something illegal with a drone (as long as they are famous) they should be stoned. After all, they are so different then the posters here.

You've misunderstood my post completely if you came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with you. I can't stand all the perfect guys telling everyone what to do, making every single Glenn thread in The forum go haywire.

I am a law abiding citizen. That said, I have driven over speed limits, smoked illegal substances when I was younger, and I have flown my drone over people, far out of Los, upto 500m height and doing all that with my drone I didn't break as much as one law unless I have parked my car illegally.
Someone saying that he's always under all circumstances inside the law and regulations in life is simply a Liar, nothing more. Law abiding citizen tries to stay inside the laws, not even Jesus managed to do that with 100% success.

It's the schooling other people and thinking you are better than they that I despite. It's some kind of power trip those guys go on, without having any power at all. That's not just rude and arrogant, it's stupit and pretty pathetic in my opinion.

I belive Commercial Aircraft engines are designed to handle (push trough) medium sized birds, at least take that into count when you guys predict Armageddon. And I solely belive that mavic pro wouldn't even be considered medium sized bird.

Aren't you guys amazed to wake up each morning and that world was not swallowed by a black hole or someone decided not to start a nuclear war last night? All those years and none of your darkest, horrible predictions have happen?
Really, cause I am really amazed by it....

.... Amount of negativity, gosh.!!!

So you REALLY think a mavic would just blow through a turbine without hurting said turbine?

I'm not saying people should do it but I don't see many people posting such dangerous actions like flying in the middle of NYC either. Just comparing what he did to what others are doing.

I don't see others flying near heliports and airports.

You've misunderstood my post completely if you came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with you.
You are correct. I was reading a bunch of stuff at the same time and very quickly. I needed to have focused on the end of your post, which I did not.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000