DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Casting DJI Fly to the Epson BT-300

lannes

Reactions
Just been experimenting with casting to the Epson Bt-300 from a Ipad Mini 4 (using airplay) while running DJI Fly
Have both your glasses and the ipad connected to the same wireless network

Here are the instructions

On the Epson BT-300
  • Through the web browser sideload via apk the AirPlayMirror demo app and install.
  • (demo version is 15min, but I haven't worked out how to get the paid version on to the Epson glasses as they don't support the Google Play store)
  • then open the app

On the ipad mini 4
  • slide diagonally down from the top right of screen to open the command center
  • tap on "screen mirroring" and select "EMBT3C" which is the Epson glasses.
  • Run DJI Fly as you would normally

Latency might not be good enough for flying, but as a third party viewer it works well
Latency might be improved by selecting a lower " quality of mirroring"
  • In the settings of the AirPlayMirror app (selected while you are in mirroring view - small arrow to the left of screen, tap the left of the epson screen to bring up the small arrow)
  • Select the "cog wheel" and then "quality of mirroring", try low for less latency but there is the quality comprimise, I find medium works the best for me

In the field I use Netgear Nighthawk M1cellular mobile router to provide the wi-fi network needed, I find it works better than the phone and you can select 5.8ghz for greater bandwidth

Last edited:
I found another way to do it that doesn’t require any additional apps using an Android device.

I just bought a DJI Magic Air 2, so the DJI Go app in the Moverio BT-300 glasses won’t work.

I am an iOS guy, but for $60 I bought a refurbished Verizon Asus Zenbook z8s to use with the drone and the glasses. The tablet runs Android Nougat 7.0, so it is definitely out of date!

I tried sideloading different mirroring apps onto both the tablet and the glasses and couldn’t find one that didn’t require an internet connection to the World Wide Web. I had no problems connecting the Moverio glasses to the tablet at home when both were connected to the same wifi network using AirDroid/AirMirror (the paid versions) or the Miracast native apps (free!) already installed in both devices.

I finally figured out that you don’t actually need to be connected to the Web to connect them using the native Miracast, they just needed to be on the same internet connection/network. Great! I figured I could connect them both to my iPhone hotspot and then connect them to each other! That probably would have worked except the tablet just will not connect to my hotspot. ? If you have a device with a hotspot that your tablet and glasses will connect to, easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy just follow what I did below using your mobile hotspot instead of a camera.

I finally realized that I do have a device with it’s own wifi network - my GoPro!!! I use my GoPro Hero 7 Black for this, but it also works on my Hero 9. It might work with any camera with a built-in wifi network.

Step One:
Turn on the GoPro. Swipe down and tap on Preferences to access the settings. Select Connections. Go into your “Wireless Connections” and turn them ON. Then select “Camera Info” to see the camera’s name and wi-fi password.

Step Two:
Turn on your Android device that will be connected to the DJI controller and go into the settings. Select “Wi-Fi” and find your GoPro. Select it and enter the camera’s password. Your tablet is now connected to the GoPro even though there is no internet connection to the Web.

Step Three:
Turn on your Moverio glasses, enter the “Wi-Fi” menu, select the GoPro and enter the camera’s password. Your glasses are now connected to the GoPro even though there is no connection to the World Wide Web.

Step Four:
Now that your tablet and your Moverio glasses are on the same wifi network, you can use the native Miracast functions in both devices to connect!

In your glasses, go into the Settings menu and then the Display settings. At the bottom of the list select “Receive Screen” and the Miracast screen will open.

In your Android device, go into the Wireless & Networks section and select “Play To (Miracast)” and select your Epson BT-300 glasses.

Your Android device will now be mirrored on your Moverio glasses through each device’s respective wi-fi connections!

Start the DJI Fly app and go! Of course the tablet has no internet connection so you don’t have access to anything requiring the Web (no maps, etc.) unless you have previously downloaded them to your Android device’s local storage.

At this point you can turn off your GoPro. I get a pop-up on my tablet notifying me that my network is not connected to the internet, do I wish to remain connected? Answer yes, you want to stay connected.

I imagine this process will work with devices other than GoPros - anything that has a native wireless connection that both your glasses and Android control device can connect to should be able to follow this process. The OP uses a Netgear Nighthawk to provide the wireless network.

I still have not been able to figure out how to connect my iPhone or iPad to my glasses. iOS does not have native Miracast capabilities and all the Miracast/screen mirroring apps in the Apple App Store have lots of negative reviews, so I’m not willing to pay for a crappy app that won’t work.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I found another way to do it that doesn’t require any additional apps using an Android device.

I just bought a DJI Magic Air 2, so the DJI Go app in the Moverio BT-300 glasses won’t work.

I am an iOS guy, but for $60 I bought a refurbished Verizon Asus Zenbook z8s to use with the drone and the glasses. The tablet runs Android Nougat 7.0, so it is definitely out of date!

I tried sideloading different mirroring apps onto both the tablet and the glasses and couldn’t find one that didn’t require an internet connection to the World Wide Web. I had no problems connecting the Moverio glasses to the tablet at home when both were connected to the same wifi network using AirDroid/AirMirror (the paid versions) or the Miracast native apps (free!) already installed in both devices.

I finally figured out that you don’t actually need to be connected to the Web to connect them using the native Miracast, they just needed to be on the same internet connection/network. Great! I figured I could connect them both to my iPhone hotspot and then connect them to each other! That probably would have worked except the tablet just will not connect to my hotspot. ? If you have a device with a hotspot that your tablet and glasses will connect to, easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy just follow what I did below using your mobile hotspot instead of a camera.

I finally realized that I do have a device with it’s own wifi network - my GoPro!!! I use my GoPro Hero 7 Black for this, but it also works on my Hero 9. It might work with any camera with a built-in wifi network.

Step One:
Turn on the GoPro. Swipe down and tap on Preferences to access the settings. Select Connections. Go into your “Wireless Connections” and turn them ON. Then select “Camera Info” to see the camera’s name and wi-fi password.

Step Two:
Turn on your Android device that will be connected to the DJI controller and go into the settings. Select “Wi-Fi” and find your GoPro. Select it and enter the camera’s password. Your tablet is now connected to the GoPro even though there is no internet connection to the Web.

Step Three:
Turn on your Moverio glasses, enter the “Wi-Fi” menu, select the GoPro and enter the camera’s password. Your glasses are now connected to the GoPro even though there is no connection to the World Wide Web.

Step Four:
Now that your tablet and your Moverio glasses are on the same wifi network, you can use the native Miracast functions in both devices to connect!

In your glasses, go into the Settings menu and then the Display settings. At the bottom of the list select “Receive Screen” and the Miracast screen will open.

In your Android device, go into the Wireless & Networks section and select “Play To (Miracast)” and select your Epson BT-300 glasses.

Your Android device will now be mirrored on your Moverio glasses through each device’s respective wi-fi connections!

Start the DJI Fly app and go! Of course the tablet has no internet connection so you don’t have access to anything requiring the Web (no maps, etc.) unless you have previously downloaded them to your Android device’s local storage.

At this point you can turn off your GoPro. I get a pop-up on my tablet notifying me that my network is not connected to the internet, do I wish to remain connected? Answer yes, you want to stay connected.

I imagine this process will work with devices other than GoPros - anything that has a native wireless connection that both your glasses and Android control device can connect to should be able to follow this process. The OP uses a Netgear Nighthawk to provide the wireless network.

I still have not been able to figure out how to connect my iPhone or iPad to my glasses. iOS does not have native Miracast capabilities and all the Miracast/screen mirroring apps in the Apple App Store have lots of negative reviews, so I’m not willing to pay for a crappy app that won’t work.

I've used this method to cast DJI Fly from my S9 to the BT-300 previously but I don't like the small screen size of the S9.
The reason I started to these threads is to find solution to use the BT-300's with DJI Fly.
My Nighthawk is acting in the same way as your gopro.

It's a pity that latest version Litchi is not compatible with BT-300 so we can use it with the MM1. It works with the Android 5 on the Crystalsky.

Why don't you see if you can get this solution working, then we won't need to cast at all.

Last edited:
The BT-300 is rather underpowered so I don't think you'll be satisfied having it run the 'control' app. It can't run Fly.

Yes, the BT-300 will never run the 64bit DJI app as it's on a 32bit architecture, but the MM compatible version of Litchi is running on 32bit android devices but it just doesn't want to run on the BT-300

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929