DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ce to FCC query

Fang

Reactions
Hi. Newbie here. I live in Brisbane AU. I am taking my MA to Hawaii is a few weeks. My question is I am currently in CE mode. (No choice) When I arrive in Hawaii will I be prompted with location change and be able to switch to FCC mode. When I return to Australia can I remain in FCC mode if I cancel the location change reminder. Using iPad mini 4.
Thanks for any input.

Hi. Newbie here. I live in Brisbane AU. I am taking my MA to Hawaii is a few weeks. My question is I am currently in CE mode. (No choice) When I arrive in Hawaii will I be prompted with location change and be able to switch to FCC mode. When I return to Australia can I remain in FCC mode if I cancel the location change reminder. Using iPad mini 4.
Thanks for any input.

If you google "CE vs FCC" you will get plenty of links to relevant discussion forum content, but is 2.5 miles (CE limit) not far enough? I would think that, in most cases, the drone has already gone beyond VLOS before reaching that distance away from you.

Thanks for any input.

The RC will change modes automatically based on your location. You can't change it manually.

If you google "CE vs FCC" you will get plenty of links to relevant discussion forum content, but is 2.5 miles (CE limit) not far enough? I would think that, in most cases, the drone has already gone beyond VLOS before reaching that distance away from you.

That's really his business, isn't it? Your obsession with schooling people on VLOS is perplexing.

Reactions: davemorts and Starz
To answer OP: Yes. Upon return to our big brown land mass you can cancel the prompts and remain in FCC until such time you accidentally tap "OK" instead of cancel.

CE *should* be enough to get by on.
I've had a complete disconnect 140m out and 40m altitude over water in CE mode in the past. Near pooped my pantaloons.
RC prompted "Aircraft disconnected" out of no where on a second flight almost immediately after swapping out battery from the AC. Unable to resume control (didn't think of power cycling the RC at the time).

Made the change to FCC, and been flying with flawless connectivity ever since. Not that I ever test my VLOS abilities, not what I bought it for.

Reactions: davemorts and Fang
The RC will change modes automatically based on your location. You can't change it manually.

That's really his business, isn't it? Your obsession with schooling people on VLOS is perplexing.

Suggest you mind your own business. The O.P. offered thanks in advance for any input - so I asked a simple question. Your assumption that, on this occasion, I intended to "school" anyone is indeed perplexing.

To answer OP: Yes. Upon return to our big brown land mass you can cancel the prompts and remain in FCC until such time you accidentally tap "OK" instead of cancel.

CE *should* be enough to get by on.
I've had a complete disconnect 140m out and 40m altitude over water in CE mode in the past. Near pooped my pantaloons.
RC prompted "Aircraft disconnected" out of no where on a second flight almost immediately after swapping out battery from the AC. Unable to resume control (didn't think of power cycling the RC at the time).

Made the change to FCC, and been flying with flawless connectivity ever since. Not that I ever test my VLOS abilities, not what I bought it for.

That's strange because I know two guys who have never experienced "aircraft disconnect" and they have both had their Mavic Air drones for over a year and performed many flights. Some of their videos indicate that they were flying close to the VLOS limit or maybe even beyond that. In saying that I also know that they fly mostly out in rural areas well away from sources of interference.

Ok guys once again just seeking input. I’m not concerned with flying to the next city, just would like stronger, more reliable video feed. I do understand the vlos regulations and that’s fine. It’s puzzling to me that as soon as you mention wanting to go to FCC everyone thinks you want to try and get to another country with your drone. Until you have experienced the limitations and drop outs of CE you just don’t get it.

I loose sight og my mav air somewhere around 1200 ft give or take depending on altitude . Must take really good eyesight to see this little drone much further out then that. I know that at a 1000 yards a 3 foot round black circle like about the size of a quarter and a drone is a lot smaller then that so very hard to see even with a strob on it.

??
I’ve alway thought the air was a little light in the range department and could pose a problem because of that. But I knew that when I handed DJI more of my money, and fly it accordingly. A solution to that for me, was to grab one of the other DJI products that has far more range. I’ve always thought it was pretty tough for the ce folks and would not want to deal with that headache.

Last edited:
Reactions: davemorts
There's an app that enables switching to FCC mode but you need to be mindful of Warranty restrictions - the following is a post by DJI on another forum:-

"We are sorry to say that the warranty of your aircraft will be voided if there will be failure or damage caused by third-party products/software. You may also refer to After-Sales Service Policies - DJI. We highly recommend using our official application which is the DJI Go 4 app to fly your drone. Please have a safe flight ahead!"

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to change CE to FCC mode. I can recall one such app called 'Floater' from immediate memory that can be applied to both iOS and Android devices to change CE mode.

However, I would definitely pay heed to what crystal-pete alluded to. In case of a mishap, you may jeopardize your warranty (and insurance perhaps, not sure) as you will be deemed to have compromised the software and hence safe flying capability of the AC.

If you're using android platform, it's easy to do this. You can install fakegps app to load fake gps any location in US. When you log in to DJI Go4 it will make it.
If you using ios platform, you may install cracked DJI Go4 to crack for FCC mode.
The key issue to verify if you're in FCC mode that when you login to dji go4, you will find you only have 1-11 channels, missing 12-13 channels.

Ok now I’m a bit confused. I checked my djigo4 app with everything connected and powered up. Looked in the wifi settings and 2.4 is good but noticed I only have channels 1 to 11and then the 149 and upwards. I thought that 1 to 11 would only be FCC mode. Do I need a stronger coffee?51B40B91-07C2-4E27-9482-A2263B67E00A.jpeg

Reactions: calvin0512
Ok now I’m a bit confused. I checked my djigo4 app with everything connected and powered up. Looked in the wifi settings and 2.4 is good but noticed I only have channels 1 to 11and then the 149 and upwards. I thought that 1 to 11 would only be FCC mode. Do I need a stronger coffee?View attachment 67625
Yes. You are in FCC mode. If you want to further stronger signal, You have to set an powerful 5.8g Antenna.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh