DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CE Version of Mavic Mini. Big disadvantages in UK and EU.

Reply from DJi on an FCC mini used in CE zone;

We do apologize for the delayed in response,

We have received a new update from our facility.

If your Mavic Mini is the FCC version, then you can fly it in countries and regions of FCC and SRRC, as well as 5.8 GHz-supported CE countries and regions. In an unobstructed environment free of interference, the FCC Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 4 km in the FCC countries and regions,can reach 2.5 km in the SRRC countries and regions, and can reach 500 m in 5.8 GHz-supported CE countries and regions.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The main question is where do you intend to fly ?

To summarize again the two most important points:
1. In and around built-up areas (with microwaves, lots of wifi hubs, etc), use 5.8 Ghz - it's a less "busy" band, but has short range.
2. Outside of built-up areas, or unobstructed environment free of interference use 2.4 Ghz - it has a longer range.

I'll stick with my CE Mini for now. It's totally OK for VLOS.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Well today has been lovely weather this morning so I took the bird out for a few flights. After I was happy that everything was okay after it kissed a wall I did a few flights on 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz and in the open 5.8ghz is more than enough. Around the houses its also more than enough unless you're right above yourself which is never good to start with. The trees REALLY knock out 5.8ghz compared to 2.4ghz as I was testing it in some wooded areas. I also tested it with a big clump of trees that I flew over and then behind. With 2.4ghz the signal remained solid at a ~200m (and behind the trees), the same can not be said about 5.8ghz.

I then decided to see if I could hit the maximum distance claimed by DJI for the CE version. I did. It was actually quite easy and I still had complete control over it without too much glitching. It was actually worse closer to home! I dont feel any need to do any more distance tests now until I get some parabolic covers for the antenna just to see the difference but 2047m then return to home is more than enough on this little guy.

As a note I was doing a fair bit more flying before I went out to that distance. Whilst I'm at 55% battery I came back and landed with over 25 and probably more like 30% so I wasn't pushing it on battery thats for sure. This was also my only bit that was actually NEAR to houses. The whole journey was over fields and I decided to spin back at this point as I didnt want to suddenly have an issue at that distance AND over someones house.

77431109_527612234750784_708283335956234240_n.jpg

Reactions: old man mavic
Well today has been lovely weather this morning so I took the bird out for a few flights. After I was happy that everything was okay after it kissed a wall I did a few flights on 5.8ghz and 2.4ghz and in the open 5.8ghz is more than enough. Around the houses its also more than enough unless you're right above yourself which is never good to start with. The trees REALLY knock out 5.8ghz compared to 2.4ghz as I was testing it in some wooded areas. I also tested it with a big clump of trees that I flew over and then behind. With 2.4ghz the signal remained solid at a ~200m (and behind the trees), the same can not be said about 5.8ghz.

I then decided to see if I could hit the maximum distance claimed by DJI for the CE version. I did. It was actually quite easy and I still had complete control over it without too much glitching. It was actually worse closer to home! I dont feel any need to do any more distance tests now until I get some parabolic covers for the antenna just to see the difference but 2047m then return to home is more than enough on this little guy.

As a note I was doing a fair bit more flying before I went out to that distance. Whilst I'm at 55% battery I came back and landed with over 25 and probably more like 30% so I wasn't pushing it on battery thats for sure. This was also my only bit that was actually NEAR to houses. The whole journey was over fields and I decided to spin back at this point as I didnt want to suddenly have an issue at that distance AND over someones house.

View attachment 86832
I completely agree, it’s proving to be very capable. The only challenge now is keeping the hands and feet warm while burning through three batteries.

/\ and keeping the gimbal warm. I have just done a flight test to check my earlier footage against some taken just now and I have a lot of jello effect on the COLD flights but I left the bird near a radiator before I just took it out for a 1min flight from my house and the cold footage is wobby, the warm footage is silky smooth.

Reactions: TDZHDTV and WooZie
I don't know if this helps but your takeoff location is just as important as flight path .
IE. If you fly over ocean and drone is free from interference but you are stood in a high wifi interference area , your remote will get interference and effect connectivity to drone .
You must launch from as close to zero wifi interference as possible , even your car will have the chance to interfear with controller .
Hope this helps you get better distance .
Most of the videos of people flying 1500+m are standing in a very remote area . If your house was on the beach and you flew from your front door and your and your neighbours houses had a lot of wifi signals it will reduce your distance

I'm standing about 100m from my house when I fly it and I'm on the edge of a small housing estate. I would share the location but not too keen on making my location obvious. I have increased my range since disabling a couple of high power access points in my attic as I was still picking up interference from them in the field.

The way you've got to imagine it is stand in a large hall with no one else in it. Someone whispers and you can hear them from the other side of the room.
Now stand in that same room and get someone to stand next to you humming. You wont hear the person whispering.

glad you had a successful day, i have been out all day up the Brecon Beacons flying flew 7 batts 3 in the MM and 4 in the MPP, had a good day all back in one piece, only down side once you were out of the sun it was rather cold on the old bones i will review my vids later on

glad you had a successful day, i have been out all day up the Brecon Beacons flying flew 7 batts 3 in the MM and 4 in the MPP, had a good day all back in one piece, only down side once you were out of the sun it was rather cold on the old bones i will review my vids later on

I'm interested to hear how much wobble you got due to the cold on the gimbal. I'm not certain if it was the cold as i did a re-calibration too but whilst really chilly I had too much wobble to be happy with the videos.

I should have flown more but I had this thing called "work" I needed to do :(

Reactions: old man mavic
I'm interested to hear how much wobble you got due to the cold on the gimbal. I'm not certain if it was the cold as i did a re-calibration too but whilst really chilly I had too much wobble to be happy with the videos.

I should have flown more but I had this thing called "work" I needed to do :(
nothing to be concerned about in terms of wobble to be honest ,i only video in 10-80 at 30 fps on both my drones as i dont do editing or go on youtube or any web sites, i find that is the best for me ,as my equipment can handle it, i have also been using C mode when i video with the MM ,it gives a much smoother yaw and flight in general

Reactions: scooot
Reply from DJi on an FCC mini used in CE zone;

We do apologize for the delayed in response,

We have received a new update from our facility.

If your Mavic Mini is the FCC version, then you can fly it in countries and regions of FCC and SRRC, as well as 5.8 GHz-supported CE countries and regions. In an unobstructed environment free of interference, the FCC Mavic Mini’s max image transmission distance can reach 4 km in the FCC countries and regions,can reach 2.5 km in the SRRC countries and regions, and can reach 500 m in 5.8 GHz-supported CE countries and regions.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

So, for a newbie like me, can someone explain what exactly will happen if I fly a US bought Mini in the EU? Will it be limited to 500m?

I have no Video prof (my phone crashed so I lost my recorded screen) but today I tried to rangetest my CE spec MM.

I was standing on a hill. Almost no wind. Hight aprox 50 meters.

First in auto I reached around 950 meters.

Second I put it in manual and to 2,4Ghz. That time I reached (with almost no inteferance at all) around 2050 meters! Then I got some message that I was not allowed to fly longer. The MM stopped and I could not go further. So it got the range that Dji say it has.

BUT! When I turned the MM to go back I lost the signal. And efter that there where all kind of strange messages. One time I even thought the MM had gone in to auto landing? Did not get a signal back untill I reached 600 meters!! I think it is pretty strange that the MM have perfekt reception when it is facing away from me but really bad reception when it is facing towards me?

There is actually some weird stuff going on with the MM. It’s reception is so different from time to time? It brakes up in strange ways. The other day I flew behind a house down a slope and got perfect reception? That was a typical place where my other drones never could have been able to go. And an other time I got a brakeup just close to me and with no house for several kilometers?

It is almost like Dji have tried to put the range down with pure software? So the drone is not using it’s full potential? If that is the case I guess Dji should do some more work on it [emoji2369]. A range of stable 2000 meters is more than enough to make this drone worth every penny! As it is now it is ok but it makes me a little unsure. I don’t get the feel of what the drone can handle [emoji2369]

Last edited:
Guess so... Can you even see it at 1600’ away?

I don't really care about it being in vision. This is for absolutely remote hiking destinations, where there is probably no human being for kms

Last edited:
I have no Video prof (my phone crashed so I lost my recorded screen) but today I tried to rangetest my CE spec MM.

I was standing on a hill. Almost no wind. Hight aprox 50 meters.

First in auto I reached around 950 meters.

Second I put it in manual and to 2,4Ghz. That time I reached (with almost no inteferance at all) 2050 meters! Then I got some message that I was not allowed to fly longer. The MM stopped and I could not go further. So it got the range that Dji say it has.

BUT! When I turned the MM to go back I lost the signal. And efter that there where all kind of strange messages. One time I even thought the MM had gone in to auto landing? Did not get a signal back untill I reached 600 meters!! I think it is pretty strange that the MM have perfekt reception when it is facing away from me but really bad reception when it is facing towards me?

There is actually some weird stuff going on with the MM. It’s reception is so different from time to time? It brakes up in strange ways. The other day I flew behind a house down a slope and got perfect reception? That was a typical place where my other drones never could have been able to go. And an other time I got a brakeup just close to me and with no house for several kilometers?

It is almost like Dji have tried to put the range down with pure software? So the drone is not using it’s full potential? If that is the case I guess Dji should do some more work on it [emoji2369]. A range of stable 2000 meters is more than enough to make this drone worth every penny! As it is now it is ok but it makes me a little unsure. I don’t get the feel of what the drone can handle [emoji2369]

I'm annoyed at myself for turning round at 2047m and not pushing that bit further.
I wasn't glitch free at that distance as I was FAR too close to a built up RF Noisy environment and I dont have any time to go and try it elsewhere. I'm rather fortunate to be able to do these sort of range tests a minute walk from my house.

Reactions: bebbe

View attachment 86832
If you will test it with parabolic covers please post here the result. From what i have seen there are no infos about this on the net.

I'm annoyed at myself for turning round at 2047m and not pushing that bit further.
I wasn't glitch free at that distance as I was FAR too close to a built up RF Noisy environment and I dont have any time to go and try it elsewhere. I'm rather fortunate to be able to do these sort of range tests a minute walk from my house.

For me it was not possible to go further. The drone did not reply on the stick movements.

If you will test it with parabolic covers please post here the result. From what i have seen there are no infos about this on the net.
You might want to google a little more...
There's a youtube vid where the guy only gets about 50m extra with parabolic cover, but gets more with foil.

You might want to google a little more...
There's a youtube vid where the guy only gets about 50m extra with parabolic cover, but gets more with foil.

Also with the CE it seems like there is a limit in around 2000 meters? So if all is like mine it will not go past that even if it has full signal [emoji2369]

But if the cover gives you better signal without brakeup they will be worth the money. Would have been greate to have 2000 meter with reliable signal.

As I said earlier mine where stable untill I turned the drone towards myself. Efter that it was impossible to get the signal back. Just after the 1000 meter mark it started to show the camerafeed again.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis