DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cell phone vs Action Cam vs Gopro

Former Member

Reactions
I have to admit that Im not an action camera type of guy. In the old days, I used to tote around an SLR, but since the advent of high quality cell phone cams, I feel like my phone is more than adequate for taking pictures, taking videos with sound, and taking selfies. My S9+ is water resistant, and since its always in my pocket, its great for Kodak moments. The cam on my S9+ is outstandingly clear for a phone cam, and I dont really venture off to the beach, skydive, ride a motorcycle, or feel the need to take a camera on a rollercoaster.

My best friend, however, likes his GoPro. He gave me his old one a few years ago, but I dont even use it.

For those you who do own action cams, which one do you have and how often do you use it?

I have a 5 year old so use my Osmo Pocket a lot. My parents used to always lug around their giant video camera back in the days and I tend to do the same. Except a fraction of the size lol. I’m taking a vacation in September so have been thinking of purchasing the Osmo Action in case we do some snorkeling. Loving the Osmo Pocket though!

Reactions: Former Member
My son has a Go Pro Hero 4 that he got recently, funny thing is, he keeps asking me for ideas on what to use it for, despite him wanting it. I keep trying to tell him just attach it to anything and have fun with it.

I hear you on the cell phone vs DSLR camera though, there are many times I don't really want to lug around a DSLR (and potentially 3 different lens) when in all honesty, unless I am printing the pictures on a large scale, the camera on my phone does the job adequately (Pixel 2XL). Now, there are times when the phone camera will not do at all, astrophotography for instance, but in those cases I am only going out to take pictures and so don't mind taking the tripod, extra batteries, intervalometer, camera etc. But, kids birthday parties, family gatherings that kind of thing. unless someone specifically asks me to take pictures, 9 times out of 10 I am just using my phone. Which in some ways can be frustrating as ultimately I know the camera will take better pictures, and me leaving it home most of the time leaves that investment in the equipment un-used.

Dang it, now I feel like i should head out later with my camera just to use it some!!

I don't use action cameras handheld or any other time where I could use a dedicated camera but use them where I couldn't, mostly mounted to my bike when I want to record an event or when I'm doing a particular cycle. At the time the video feels pointless but like most photo/video I like to have the footage later on as a great memory of the ride/event.

I currently mainly use the GoPro Sessions which I feel are underrated as I find their small size and simple design makes them ideal as action cameras to stick on the bike, on a gimbal or on a helmet. I'd have really liked DJI to make a more compact rugged version of the Osmo pocket as it would play to their skills and offer something better than the rest of the market as it's a bit of a pain having to mix a gimbal and action camera both with their own power supplies and no communication to each other.

I've also been dabbling with a 360 camera, specifically the Garmin Virb 360 for its software stabilisation as my action camera gimbal setup is not weather proof. I've been disappointed with the camera though, the stabilisation is extremely impressive but once it's imported from the camera, edited and uploaded it just destroys the quality and looks like streaming video in the early 2000's when it was horribly compressed. It quickly burns through the battery and memory card as well so I've gone back to the Sessions for now.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive