DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Initial impressions: Costco US$1299 MPP+goggles

What type of recreational flying matters most to you?

• FPV "flight seeing", simulated flying experience, above trees and structures

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Sports uses, e.g. active tracking while biking, racing, around trees and obstacles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Video creation, montages, dronies

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
@benz0 I'm glad my post was relevant for you -- though I had to go search "FTW" for this context, because I've only known it's *other* abbreviation! :-O
Ha ha, yes: "For The Win!".
Got out for first flights in the backyard this weekend - so fun! baby steps though - lots to learn. Did play around a bit with the goggles. A friend would wear while I flew - was a great way to include someone in the fun. What goggle mode(s) / setups have you found to be the most fun when sharing the goggles?

Small wrinkle in the 90 day return policy plan; need to decide on purchasing DJI Care Refresh ($129) tonight before the 48 hour eligibility ends. Is this program generally understood to be a good value? If I end up returning to Costco (MP2 announce or whatever really) might not feel too smart o_O.

Last edited:
...Small wrinkle in the 90 day return policy plan; need to decide on purchasing DJI Care Refresh ($129) tonight before the 48 hour eligibility ends. Is this program generally understood to be a good value? If I end up returning to Costco (MP2 announce or whatever really) might not feel too smart o_O.
You can get Refresh after the 48 hour period, you just have to make a video for DJI to prove that it works. Instructions are on the DJI web site.

@benz0, I purchased DJI Care Refresh, which is cancellable if you return the aircraft.

However, I've since regretted purchasing it, after learning State Farm offers $1,300 of personal article protection for $39 annually, with $100 deductible, which covers replacement in the event of loss, damage, theft, even "mysterious disappearance". I just purchased that today as well.

Note, there are many threads on this forum debating whether a claim against that type of personal article policy might affect your homeowners/fire policy rates down the road. My State Farm agent insists it is a totally separate policy, and as such would not be a factor relative to homeowners insurance rates, either with them or any other insurer.

Reactions: twood20
Updating this post with some relevant news and observations about my Mavic Pro Platinum and DJI Goggles purchase, since my original post a month ago:

Costco price protection: As mentioned above, Costco customer service desk credited me $100 during DJI's limited time June promotion, two weeks after my original purchase. (That promotion ended June 17th, 2018, but keep an eye out for it to return around July 4th US holiday, perhaps.)

Costco return policy: After DJI online support helped me diagnose a faulty remote controller causing close range aircraft disconnections, I was able to return the entire MPP/Goggles bundle back to my Costco for exchange under their 90-day satisfaction guarantee. New gear working flawlessly so far. Extremely thankful I didn't need to go through the DJI warranty return/repair process to resolve.

Noise: As hoped, the lower noise MPP has me much less self-conscious about flying in parks and neighborhoods, people who've heard other drones have even commented on how surprisingly quiet it is.

Size/Portability: Easily took my full bundle (MPP, RC, goggles, spare batteries, chargers, etc.) on a long weekend airline trip, in just my carry-on wheelie and backpack. No issues at TSA, they just want the electronics and batteries to go thru x-ray machine separately vs. in suitcase or back pack. Naturally, it's the DJI Goggles that are the bulkiest, but still very manageable in DJI's well designed Sling Bag that comes in the Costco bundle.

State Farm insurance: My entire bundle is protected from damage, loss, and theft by State Farm's $39 annual personal article protection -- $1300 coverage, $100 deductible -- so I'm no longer interested in DJI Care Refresh.

DJI Goggles: Love them, my preferred way to fly, definitely gives a sensation of flight, and the big virtual screen reveals much more detail than a smartphone (esp. in daylight). I prefer gimbal-only head tracking, to keep flight control fully independent from looking around. I enjoy going back to view recorded flights in DJI Goggles, then I notice details -- animals, people, landmarks, etc. -- I didn't catch when I was multitasking for safe piloting.

Having friends try the DJI Goggles with gimbal head tracking while I pilot from DJI Go 4 app continues to be a lot of fun, still a scenario only available on Mavic Pro/Pro Platinum. (That said, someone on this forum reported Mavic Air now supports equivalent FPV head tracking as Mavic Pro/Pro Platinum, contrary to my original post above, but I haven't read that elsewhere yet.)

Fixed Wing Mode: Seems clever, but so far not as enjoyable since its tradeoff is substantially restricted FPV -- even regular pilots can look out the windows without steering the plane! :)

Last edited:
FWIW, here's my own custom accessories bundle, purchased separately from Amazon, total cost $226 including sales tax. After my $100 price adjustment from Costco's promotion (available til 6/17), my total gear cost is US$1,549.

That's $150 savings vs. $1,698 for DJI's MPP+Goggles Fly More combo, and I wound up with more and better accessories, incl. DJI sling bag (fits goggles + MPP + batteries), prop guards, landing pad, 64GB microSD (U3 speed class), sunshade, and four filter set.

Note, these are third party batteries, a $60 savings for two vs. DJI brand.
What's the latest review of the accessories you bought for your MPP?

@twood20 thanks for asking, here's the list (US prices paid on Amazon, before tax):

Powerextra intelligent batteries (2), $118
Rcharlance charging hub, $17
IRCTek 6A car charger, $17
Arzroic gimbal sunshade, $10
Powerextra UV filter, $14 (four filter set)
Loc8tor Lite RF tracker

All's going well so far, including those Powerextra Mavic Pro batteries, with each now having over 10 charge cycles and flights on them. I had a combined flight time of 22 min yesterday with one of those, landing with 29% remaining, so that puts it pretty squarely in the 31min duration potential, same as the DJI battery.

Only glitch I've observed is that the IRCTek car charger doesn't seem to work with the charging hub. I also haven't had many opportunities to use the car charger, to comment on its reliability.

Compared to the $1,698 DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo with Goggles, I estimate a savings of $182, apple-to-apple. Plus, I quite like the DJI Sling bag that comes with the Costco bundle, I don't know if the bag in DJI's combo can fit the goggles.

Reactions: twood20
@twood20 thanks for asking, here's the list (US prices paid on Amazon, before tax):

Powerextra intelligent batteries (2), $118
Rcharlance charging hub, $17
IRCTek 6A car charger, $17
Arzroic gimbal sunshade, $10
Powerextra UV filter, $14 (four filter set)
Loc8tor Lite RF tracker

All's going well so far, including those Powerextra Mavic Pro batteries, with each now having over 10 charge cycles and flights on them. I had a combined flight time of 22 min yesterday with one of those, landing with 29% remaining, so that puts it pretty squarely in the 31min duration potential, same as the DJI battery.

Only glitch I've observed is that the IRCTek car charger doesn't seem to work with the charging hub. I also haven't had many opportunities to use the car charger, to comment on its reliability.

Compared to the $1,698 DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Fly More Combo with Goggles, I estimate a savings of $182, apple-to-apple. Plus, I quite like the DJI Sling bag that comes with the Costco bundle, I don't know if the bag in DJI's combo can fit the goggles.
Thanks for the update! You get a lot of flying in compared to me! I need to dedicate more time to getting up in the sky!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo