DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging Batteries in Car?

robgallo

Reactions
Anyone else having problems charging ANY DJI batteries in the car? They don't want to charge unless the engine is RUNNING.

Tried multiple car chargers, over 2 cars, one with a brand new car battery. Even tried a 12v/120v power inverter.

Tried Mavic Air Batteries and now my new Mavic Pro 2. No dice.

The only way my batteries charge is if I keep the engine running which is not practical.??

tried many including the official dji one

I own 3 chargers, 2 DJI and 1 offbrand that charges faster than DJI. The DJI charges are solid, no problem charging using a cheap 100w converter. Bought a 300w converter for the offbrand and couldn't get it charging effectively, not enough juice coming off the battery + alternator. The 300w converter worked fine for DJI chargers though. You need to research power requirements for your offbrand and DJI chargers then find out what your car is putting out, not all cars produce equal amounts of power. Good luck!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek here, and I could not get the DJI car charger to work reliably while the engine was running or not. It works perfectly in a friend’s older model Jeep. I use an inverter in the Suby which plugs into the Aux power port, and I only charge when vehicle is running since it would be happy to drain my car battery and leave me stranded in the field...o_O...

If you have problems, get hold of a step converter to boost the ~ 12.7 resting volts, to 13.8v output.

I made this using suitable dual core cable, an inline fuse, and a heavy duty M & F cigarette lighter plugs . . .

step_converter.jpg

It will charge my drone when I'm off grid from any of my heavy duty ciggy sockets in the 4wd, even down to low 12v on the 2nd battery.

An example I just found on ebay, ex China . . .

Edit - PS. the 12v DJI car charger has my M1P batteries charged far faster than the mains power charger.
This seems the same with a lot of things though, like my Ryobi One tools, those batteries charge up noticeably faster on the 12v charger too.

Can you charge other devices when the engine is not running ?
In some vehicles the charging port is connected to the ignition so doesn't work unless the ignition is on, some care audio systems are the same, it stops things draining the battery if antecedently left on when the vehicle is left unatended.

What I found is the DJI charger needs a bit more power than the normal rested 12v car battery delivers.
WIthout the step converter, mine will charge after turning off the vehicle engine for about 5 mins, before the volts settle to 12.7 / 12.8 or so.

The M1P mains charger at least outputs 13.05v, which is not enough from a 12v resting vehicle battery.
13.8v step up does the trick.

Of course one can use their mains charger and a decent inverter, I've just always liked 12v off grid, and as I have found it is faster too.

Many vehicles, especially North American ones, have the power shut off when the ignition is not engaged or not vehicle not running.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Personally, I wouldn't want it to. If I need to, I charge on the car battery while driving between shoot locations.

If I need to charge from batteries while not driving, I use a battery separate from the car battery. Currently, I'm using a Goal Zero Yeti 400 (with an additional battery chained to it). I typically only use this for road trips though, as anything I do closer to home usually gets done with the 5 Mavic batteries and the occasional charge from the car battery while driving.

Chris

Reactions: mereflyer
Anyone else having problems charging ANY DJI batteries in the car? They don't want to charge unless the engine is RUNNING.

Tried multiple car chargers, over 2 cars, one with a brand new car battery. Even tried a 12v/120v power inverter.

Tried Mavic Air Batteries and now my new Mavic Pro 2. No dice.

The only way my batteries charge is if I keep the engine running which is not practical.??
I have no problems using my Hanatora charger in my Taurus. It is also able, at home, to charge 4 M2P batteries in about 90 - 100 minutes. Charges controller too.

I have a 750watt inverter wired directly to the battery on my Ram 2500 pickup! I used 4 gauge wire for the run to the battery. I can charge as fast as if the charger is plugged into the ac at home! I often am charging a Phantom battery and three or for mavic batteries and my tablet and phone all at the same time! Works more than great! It has yet to cause any drain down of the batteries, (diesel x2 batteries). Causing a non start of the truck.0A28182D-942D-4E9B-890F-74AC5FE53147.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
The problem with the DJI charger is it's cutoff voltage, the voltage right out of the car battery, and car wiring. The DJI batteries need a lot of current to get the needed watts to charge the battery. The higher the current, the more susceptible to voltage drop in wiring resistance.
DJI charger draws 6.5A once the battery begins charging. To lose as much as 1V in the car wiring from car battery to charger you only need 0.15 ohms in the wiring.
V=IR or R=V/I.

Hi, I read the majority of responces but not all, so I hope I don't give a repeat response.

It's the make of your vehicle. Some vehicles the DC outlets are on with ignition off, others the DC outlets are off with ignition off.

For example, I have a Ford Ranger and can charge with ignition off. But I would never charge more than one battery for fear of draining my trucks battery.

My girlfriend has a Toyota Highlander once ignition is off all DC outlets are off and can't charge anything. You can turn ignition to on and DC outlets are on. But you run the risk of draining your vehicles battery.

Also, plan ahead. I never go out without three charged batteries.

Have fun, fly safe.?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato