DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging Batteries with solar power packs

The specific solar charger you are showing only works with USB devices. It would successfully charge your drone's controller but not the main drone batteries which need a lot more power. Watch out for the very low output of these solar panels. They will work but might take an extremely long time (like many, many hours under full light) to charge.

The Fly More pack includes a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter, so if you could find a solar charger with that output, you might be able to get it to work. Check the power output of these devices versus the Mavic Pro battery specs. I don't think there is any specific output requirement for the cigarette lighter cable and a solar unit might have extremely low power, especially at the low end.

If you give solar a try, I'm sure we'd appreciate hearing what you used and how well it worked.

The specific solar charger you are showing only works with USB devices. It would successfully charge your drone's controller but not the main drone batteries which need a lot more power. Watch out for the very low output of these solar panels. They will work but might take an extremely long time (like many, many hours under full light) to charge.

The Fly More pack includes a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter, so if you could find a solar charger with that output, you might be able to get it to work. Check the power output of these devices versus the Mavic Pro battery specs. I don't think there is any specific output requirement for the cigarette lighter cable and a solar unit might have extremely low power, especially at the low end.

If you give solar a try, I'm sure we'd appreciate hearing what you used and how well it worked.
You brought up an obvious point I failed to consider - step 1: Connectivity. DUH me! Ok so I don’t have a cigarette lighter charger but I do have a small 200W inverter I can plug the regular charger into. The inverter plugs into a 12V socket. Stay tuned and thanks for reply. ?

Misunderstood: The inverter works off the 12V outlet in my vehicle. It converts that to 120 VAC and I can plug my regular battery charger into the inverter just like I would at home. ?

Reactions: David Dennis
The Fly More pack includes a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter
I don't think there is any specific output requirement for the cigarette lighter cable

The DJI 12v charger needs 13.0v input, even in a vehicle, won't work properly unless the vehicle is running, and alternator charging at usual high 13v - 14v +.
This is for my M1P 12v charger, others might manage ok at low 12v, like my Spark 12v charger is ok at that.

There are ways around it, like the OP with an inverter and using the mains charger, or using a step up converter for the 12v charger.

Reactions: David Dennis
An inverter should be a pure sine wave type. Just understand that in most cases you'll have to run the engine while using the DJI brick charger and the inverter or you might end up stranded with a dead starting battery trying to recharge a single Mavic Pro type battery. Had a buddy look for a jump when his kid tried charging a Spark battery. Those little solar panels (as mentioned) are for little batteries such as in cell phones and tablets. My van has 270 watts worth of solar on the roof, 420AH aux batteries on the undercarrige, and a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. Overkill but I can heat up a burrito in the microwave and charge 3 Mavic Pro batteries at the same time. YMMV.
DJI_0294.JPG

Can't miss that landing pad !!

Nice set up, I just have a 110ah 2nd battery for camping trips, charges via the car or have 300w solar if needed for staying more than a day somewhere.

Cool looking van, Maxtrax and all :)
Is it 4WD ?
Wow Oz, 300 watts is a pretty large setup, great for off grid camping. I suspect you have a nice 12v fridge?

Yes my van is a 4x4.
051P.jpg
Some of my older adventures can be found HERE if you're interested. Actually my off roading is why I bought a Mavic Pro.

I sure would like to take the van over to your neck of the world. I helped a guy from Perth (?) build a van here in CA then he shipped it home and converted it to right hand drive $$$

For those thinking those little tiny panels can charge Mavic batteries, they should set up a system like yours that uses a portable panel of at least 50watts, a reasonable sized spare battery, and good inverter that can handle the load. But just a good spare battery with a battery separator such as a blue sea 7622 would give you (along with an inverter) enough to charge a few batteries w/o the chance of killing your starting battery.

Wow Oz, 300 watts is a pretty large setup, great for off grid camping. I suspect you have a nice 12v fridge?

Yes my van is a 4x4.
View attachment 99006
Some of my older adventures can be found HERE if you're interested. Actually my off roading is why I bought a Mavic Pro.

I sure would like to take the van over to your neck of the world. I helped a guy from Perth (?) build a van here in CA then he shipped it home and converted it to right hand drive $$$

For those thinking those little tiny panels can charge Mavic batteries, they should set up a system like yours that uses a portable panel of at least 50watts, a reasonable sized spare battery, and good inverter that can handle the load. But just a good spare battery with a battery separator such as a blue sea 7622 would give you (along with an inverter) enough to charge a few batteries w/o the chance of killing your starting battery.

Nice van Dave, we don't have 4x4 like that here*, and the aussie that brought that over would have paid a sweet number for the RHD conversion.
*Iveco Daily 4x4 3.0lt turbo is about closest, but got to build a rear for this (cab chassis only), big bucks, no change from around $140k all set up.

Took a look through the site, the build on the Sportsmobile looks great, didn't realise it's a Merc, Ram, Ford, whatever you want converted !
There are those here no doubt, saw a few Aussies of the Sportsmobile forum too.

Mojave Trail is my kind of trip, though love the high country too, it's all good !

Couple of the folding solar blankets (150w and 100w) and a small 50w panel on roof of ute cab, permanent to main battery for safety, thinking soon I'll upgrade this to 100w or 120w, the thin flexible type, urethane on top, 10 or 15 amp controller respectively.

For the OP . . .

The solar is REALLY ideal to charge a 2nd battery, as you say.
For the OP, this might be the best thing if he's camping.

A small AGM battery around 80amp/hr . . . or if $ are no object LITHIUM, as they are sooooo light.
Small battery box, that's fused, with some usb outlets and 10amp cigarette lighter sockets.
I'd suggest a 100w or 150w folding solar blanket, this is the 150w I have, the 100w is one less row of solar . . .

Looks like they are finally being cleared out :(
The 100w are no longer available.

These are available worldwide, Projector is another brand, think they have a 120w, but a lot more costly, and these Ridge Ryder ones I have couldn't fault them.
Reliable and the output is just over what they spec.

I'd say minimum 100w, as the sun is never 100% reliable or on such a panel for a short time, weather conds etc.
I usually set up the Ranger facing the sun, put panel over windscreen, it shades cabin and gets good angle to morning or afternoon sun.
Only really need one panel, and usually before a trip I'll decide on what one to take.
Only good (or needed) if camping more than a few hours in the afternoon sun, or camping one place without driving more than a full day.
Usually I don't need solar if camping just 14 to 15 hrs or so daily, the batteries (main and 2nd) charge as I drive.

I run a 45lt fridge, and have an 11lt freezer I can take on trips where it's of benefit, always fun to take an ice cream out of there in the middle of the Simpson Desert, ha ha ?
Only other needs are some led lighting, and recharging usual things in camp.

When I'm travelling, this is what I need to charge the Mavic batteries with the 12v charger . . .

Safe travels, hope the battery / solar info helps others.

Reactions: dronerdave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clabu