DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap and Easy FPV?

Reactions
Good morning all.

Thought I would share a solution to Cheap FPV for the Mavic. I'm sure there may be simpler options out there and if so please Respond. I am always looking for anything that can lighten the load when taking the MP out that doesn't break the bank. There isn't much in the way of information that I could find in FPV so this is what I was able to come up with on my own.

Dragon Touch V10 Tablet: Has HDMI out and GPS Amazon @ 99.99
Flysight SpeXman Two (SPX02) FPV Goggles Amazon @ $267.00
Tripp Lite High Speed Mini-HDMI Cable, Digital Video with Audio (M/M) 6-ft. (P572-006) Amazon @ $14.35

So far I have not had any issues with this set up. Very little latencency and the goggles are fantastic. Will post a video for those who may be interested when the rain decides to stop and I can get away form the wife and go fly.

Cheers

Good morning all.

Thought I would share a solution to Cheap FPV for the Mavic. I'm sure there may be simpler options out there and if so please Respond. I am always looking for anything that can lighten the load when taking the MP out that doesn't break the bank. There isn't much in the way of information that I could find in FPV so this is what I was able to come up with on my own.

Dragon Touch V10 Tablet: Has HDMI out and GPS Amazon @ 99.99
Flysight SpeXman Two (SPX02) FPV Goggles Amazon @ $267.00
Tripp Lite High Speed Mini-HDMI Cable, Digital Video with Audio (M/M) 6-ft. (P572-006) Amazon @ $14.35

So far I have not had any issues with this set up. Very little latencency and the goggles are fantastic. Will post a video for those who may be interested when the rain decides to stop and I can get away form the wife and go fly.

Cheers

You had me until the goggles you listed cost $267...There are cheaper alternatives available with an HDMI input. Take a look at the Fatshark Transformer for example. Your total without tax and shipping is $381 dollars. You can find used DJI Goggles for less than that all day, in fact I just got a $100 Dollar off coupon, making them $349, brand new, out the door from DJI directly.
I appreciate your solution, but unfortunately cheap it is not.

You had me until the goggles you listed cost $267...There are cheaper alternatives available with an HDMI input. Take a look at the Fatshark Transformer for example. Your total without tax and shipping is $381 dollars. You can find used DJI Goggles for less than that all day, in fact I just got a $100 Dollar off coupon, making them $349, brand new, out the door from DJI directly.
I appreciate your solution, but unfortunately cheap it is not.
Neebles,

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of the DJI goggles just not their size. Much too large for me to lug around. The fatshark goggles would be great but that's like having a brick on my face. I like the Flysight because of the picture in picture and I'm still compliant with the LOS. Thank you

Reactions: KostasNK
Neebles,

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of the DJI goggles just not their size. Much too large for me to lug around. The fatshark goggles would be great but that's like having a brick on my face. I like the Flysight because of the picture in picture and I'm still compliant with the LOS. Thank you

No problem, I wasn’t trying to bash your idea, so I apologize if it came off that way. If you look into the fatshark Transformer SE and like them, let me know as I have a pair I’m going to list shortly. They are still box style, but not enormous.

Reactions: christopher1979
No problem, I wasn’t trying to bash your idea, so I apologize if it came off that way. If you look into the fatshark Transformer SE and like them, let me know as I have a pair I’m going to list shortly. They are still box style, but not enormous.
Not at all, I am always looking for new ideas and love to learn. Thanks for your input.

I've been considering a set of Moverio's. With the PIP feature this looks possibly better and definitely more affordable. I'm looking forward to see results of your further testing!!

This is the cheapest setup you can get 11/2 yard of black cotton material a few minutes with a sewing machine. It makes my Ipad2 screen look like a high def TV and no sun glare I can still see through the material to see if anybody is sneeking up on me I might look like a dork but man it works.

This is the cheapest setup you can get 11/2 yard of black cotton material a few minutes with a sewing machine. It makes my Ipad2 screen look like a high def TV and no sun glare I can still see through the material to see if anybody is sneeking up on me I might look like a dork but man it works.

I have considered putting my jacket over my head to block glare, but I didnt want to look like a dork. :D
I suppose if I get myself a little rape van like that, I could just close the doors and sit in it to avoid the glare. But, then again, rape van........ :D

Reactions: genesimmons
Christopher1979 - in your research did you came across a 7 inch tablet that had HDMI out, even the more expensive models? I'm not sure I want the mounting complications of a 10 inch.

Neebles,

No, I don’t believe you will comply with VLOS...as that must be by unaided vision...you will essentially be using ‘synthetic vision’ as the only thing the FAA allows between your eyes and the sUAS is the lenses of your eyeglasses.

That’s for Part 107 compliance at least...dunno where you live or if you are commercially licensed.

Fly safe!

I actually had the same problem but then I picked up a cheep google card board for $14 dollars from Best Buy. Then I got this app called drone VR it supports the Mavic and other DJI products. For $3 you can then fly the mavic in fpv with your phone. Just put your phone in the googles and connected to the drone. It has no latency and even moves the gimbal when you move your head.

You should go check it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: christopher1979
No, I don’t believe you will comply with VLOS...as that must be by unaided vision...you will essentially be using ‘synthetic vision’ as the only thing the FAA allows between your eyes and the sUAS is the lenses of your eyeglasses.

That’s for Part 107 compliance at least...dunno where you live or if you are commercially licensed.

Fly safe!
You are absolutely correct. It doesn't comply with LOS.
Christopher1979 - in your research did you came across a 7 inch tablet that had HDMI out, even the more expensive models? I'm not sure I want the mounting complications of a 10 inch.
No Sir, I haven't come across anything smaller than the 10"

Then I got this app called drone VR it supports the Mavic and other DJI products. For $3 you can then fly the mavic in fpv with your phone. Just put your phone in the googles and connected to the drone. It has no latency and even moves the gimbal when you move your head.

You should go check it out.[/QUOTE]
Which drone VR app?There's only like 10 in the app store.

Then I got this app called drone VR it supports the Mavic and other DJI products. For $3 you can then fly the mavic in fpv with your phone. Just put your phone in the googles and connected to the drone. It has no latency and even moves the gimbal when you move your head.

You should go check it out.
Which drone VR app?There's only like 10 in the app store.[/QUOTE]

It’s drone vr

Here is a picture
c18d8f7c99314d83c369a3e7b6ba57af.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member