Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Christmas gift delivery with Mavic 2 Zoom

jeryslo

Reactions
Site
www.dronecontrol.co
Hello!

This year I'm planning something special for my 3 years old niece. Together with my brother we're planning to deliver a Christmas gift via Mavic 2 Zoom drone. The special part will not be just delivery, but also how the drone will look like. Drone will be "dressed" in a reindeer skin with reindeer headbands. Let's see step by step how we are going to achieve all this.
  1. First we need a payload delivery dropper. I've come across Eago RC Airdropper Drone Clip. The gift weighs 450g, which is just below the maximum limit of the device and also how much can Mavic 2 actually lift.
  2. Then we need a special reindeer skin, we decided on this one. See below for a couple of pictures on received skin and final drone look:
  3. A Christmas reindeer headband, something along these lines.
We've already made a test flight with complete package, though we had to stabilize the headband as the updraft from the propellers was making them move too much. All in all it works fine, the gift weight was also tested with a water bottle weighing at 450g, i.e. the same as the final gift. See videos below for a test fly & delivery drop run.

Above mentioned pictures:
reindeer_skin.jpgskinned_drone_reindeer_1.jpgskinned_drone_reindeer_2.jpgskinned_drone_reindeer_3.jpg

Sounds like a great plan and the Mavic looks brilliant.

Hope you get good flying conditions and everything works right on the big day!

Thanks! Yes, unfortunately the weather forecast does not look good for tomorrow, might have to postpone it for a day or two :(
Well better safe than sorry. There's a recipe for disaster awaits if you take too much risk.

The day will come I'm sure.

Santa's 10th reindeer will fly!

Reactions: jeryslo
I'd be very careful I did something like this with my 4 year old Nephew and he ran and tried to grab the drone when it got close to the ground , luckily I got it up before he could get it.

I'd be very careful I did something like this with my 4 year old Nephew and he ran and tried to grab the drone when it got close to the ground , luckily I got it up before he could get it.
There will be other adults to supervise the situation, plus I don't intend to land the aircraft at the spot, it will just drop the gift on the ground and then fly away.

With a bit of delay, I present you two videos of the whole delivery process. One is from drone perspective, while other is from the perspective of my niece parents. Unfortunately there was an issue with drop delivery mechanism, due to cold weather it decided (probably batteries issue) that it would not drop the gift so I needed some help from the participants on the ground :(.

And a picture from a test run:
20201226_101849.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78