DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clarification of new rules in July for UK

Yeah, the GPS covers it along with the avoidance sensors (obviously not the Mavic Mini). However, DJi drones do not transmit an ID in a way that would conform with the new regs. I highlighted the features currently missing on DJI's drones in bold.
Just for clarity.

The new EASA Regs do not call for ADS-B out as a requirement - only ADS-B in, which the new Mavic Air 2 will have.
Remote ID is simply a recognised ident which will be embedded within the data stream of the RF link. That is very easy to implement and could be done so now on existing aircraft and firmware. But of course that still wouldn’t make them compliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lastrexking
One thing I can’t find an answer for relating to A2 CofC...

As this is an EU regulation am I right to assume that anyone gaining the qualification would be covered to operate anywhere in the EU, regardless of the nation they qualified in?

One thing I can’t find an answer for relating to A2 CofC...

As this is an EU regulation am I right to assume that anyone gaining the qualification would be covered to operate anywhere in the EU, regardless of the nation they qualified in?
Yes.
And the certificates are valid for 5 years.
It is unclear at present whether there will be an additional charge or fee for renewal or a requirement for recertification.
The CAA haven’t even thought that far ahead yet - although they have been asked!

Last edited:
Can someone please clarify this for me? I've spent ages reading and reading and I think I've got myself into a situation where I'm more confused than when I started!

I bought a Mavic Mini before Christmas. In July, I need to register it with the CAA. I plan to use this to take on holiday with me and get some landscape shots. Can someone explain what certificate I need to obtain and what will the cost implications be?

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please clarify this for me? I've spent ages reading and reading and I think I've got myself into a situation where I'm more confused than when I started!

I bought a Mavic Mini before Christmas. In July, I need to register it with the CAA. I plan to use this to take on holiday with me and get some landscape shots. Can someone explain what certificate I need to obtain and what will the cost implications be?

Thanks in advance.
The Mavic Mini although under the 250g registration threshold at present will need to be registered from July 1st not because of weight but because it is fitted with a camera/data capture ability.

Thanks in advance.

For the Mavic Mini - Currently, you need nothing. From July you’ll need to register with the CAA. Firstly as a person responsible for a drone, then as a flyer.
The fee is £9 to register as a person responsible for a drone and renewable annually. To register as a flyer is free, but you need to pass an online test. That lasts for three years.

All the info is here; Drone and model aircraft registration | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Reactions: jbyork
Thanks for this - so, in July I need to register with the CAA for £9 and complete an online test. Is that all there is to it?

Yup. As long as you’re just flying recreationally.

Yup. As long as you’re just flying recreationally.
Just to be clear (again).....:)

From July, it makes no difference whether you fly recreationally or commercially (other than requiring insurance for commercial operation).
The CAA (and EASA) will not distinguish whether you are flying for gain or not.
Thats why effectively the PfCO is dead from July 1st.

If you are happy to keep standoffs at the required distance and no close proximity or congested area flights then you are free to fly for commercial gain.

Last edited:
Just to be clear (again).....:)

From July, it makes no difference whether you fly recreationally of commercially (other than requiring insurance for commercial operation).
The CAA (and EASA) will not distinguish whether you are flying for gain or not.
Thats why effectively the PfCO id dead from July 1st.

If you are happy to keep standoffs at the required distance and no close proximity or congested area flights then you are free to fly for commercial gain.

Thank you. It’s good to get this right, so I’m glad you’re on the ball. ??

Reactions: The Editor
Well, this is a useful thread. It's pretty much pointless buying any of the current DJi drones (or any manufacturer for that) as they will be classed as 'legacy' craft. I was considering buying a Zoom, but I'll hold off now.

I wish all retailers were as responsible as Heliguy and pointing out the change and how it will affect any purchase. Their guide is really helpful: CAA Approved DRONE TRAINING - A2 CofC, GVC and PfCO | HELIGUY.com

I think I'll take the A2 CotC test. I don't intend to fly commercially anymore, but I do work for friends that would require me to fly closer to their buildings.

Love the heliguy link. Thanks

so leaving aside commercial operations here and thinking of the non-commercial pilot (and ignoring the mm due to weight) This "Drones introduced to the market before July 1, 2022, will become known as legacy aircraft. So, after the Transitional Period ends, you will only be able to fly these legacy aircraft in the A3 subcategory (far from people – no uninvolved people present within the area of flight/no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas), unless you have a valid Operational Authorisation (PfCO)." basically says anything you buy before that date is heavily restricted for you (incl Mavic Air 2) ... so for the typical guy in the street does it not seem pointless to buy a drone now?

so leaving aside commercial operations here and thinking of the non-commercial pilot (and ignoring the mm due to weight) This "Drones introduced to the market before July 1, 2022, will become known as legacy aircraft. So, after the Transitional Period ends, you will only be able to fly these legacy aircraft in the A3 subcategory (far from people – no uninvolved people present within the area of flight/no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas), unless you have a valid Operational Authorisation (PfCO)." basically says anything you buy before that date is heavily restricted for you (incl Mavic Air 2) ... so for the typical guy in the street does it not seem pointless to buy a drone now?

If you don't have one already, then maybe a Mavic Mini, so that by the time they start producing certified drones, you and your skills will be ready to enter the big leagues with 1000+ euros in your pocket.

I decided to get the Mavic Mini

Edit: didn't see the "ignore the mm" part. X_X

I find this a bit confusing in that if a PfCO will no longer exist?
The A2 CofC is the effective replacement and is only a theoretical test. So would this be just like the Driving Theory test, where you only have to take a test at £23 at a test center, without needing a training course.
At the moment I can only see training courses being offered or will that likely change?

Attachments

• A2 CofC.JPG
    A2 CofC.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 14
Can someone give me a TL;DR of this? This is the first time I’ve heard of any rules changing - I fly a mavic mini recreationally, how will this affect me?

Can someone give me a TL;DR of this? This is the first time I’ve heard of any rules changing - I fly a mavic mini recreationally, how will this affect me?

Rather than rehash things again, I'll point you at some relevant links.

Firstly, the new legislation that was supposed to come in on July 1st 2020 has been delayed until November 2020.

At that point any drone over 250g OR a drone with a camera regardless of weight (like the Mini) will need to be registered via the CAA's scheme.

The transition period, which ends in 2022 (barring delays - see link above), means that ALL current drones will become members of the "Legacy" class, which means even greater limitations on where they can be operated compared to those compliant with new legislation. (Note: I have no idea if the DJI Air 2 is compliant or not). More on this, including info on the new permit scheme if you need to operate closer to people and structures than the basic "Open" category here, here, and here.

Basically, we're in a holding pattern (pun intended) until the CAA and Government decide exactly what the new CofC and GVC and associated training courses are going to look like and bring the new rules into force. In a nutshell, if you can comply with the drone code and lockdown restrictions then nothing changes for you - as a MM pilot - until November 2020, at which point you'll just need to register with the CAA. There may also be limitations on your flight that may be relevant see here (again) for a good breakdown by aircraft type.

Come 2022 (or whenever) you'll have a Legacy aircraft which probably means you'll need to keep a greater distance from people or structures than compliant aircraft, but whether that's even an issue will depend on where you fly and the exact nature of the limitations (which is still TBC). If that is an issue for you, then you might (this is still TBC as well) be able to get by with a CofC or similar waiver, but failing that will need to get a new drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiwayman
but it does look like the mm will not be classed as Legacy due to its weight (freom the other thread someone posted regarding their CofC training recently so it can fly closer than legacy craft..

but it does look like the mm will not be classed as Legacy due to its weight (freom the other thread someone posted regarding their CofC training recently so it can fly closer than legacy craft..

Yeah, current drones that are "sub-250g with camera" currently seem to have the vaguest set of limitations under the new setup. Accordining to this table they're in the "A1 Legacy" class, but don't have any operating date limitations:

caa-new-drone-categories-and-operating-areas.png

AFAICT from Heliguy's summary, what that actually *means* is that you'll still be able to fly the MM post the end of the Transition Period, but subject to the same limitations as all other drones in the Legacy class during the Transition Period, e.g. no closer than 150m from structures or recreational areas (whatever they are - beaches and national parks are kinds of recreational area, although I'm assuming it only means playing fields and the like) and no uninvolved persons within the area of flight. Those are pretty big limitations in practice, and likely to be a show stopper for many currently legal missions. An A2 CofC potentially gets you around some of that, but the details are light and the cost of getting it may make it more effective to just buy a new drone in the sub-250g class (A1/C0). Note that Heliguy does have a general disclaimer on post-2022 operation for all current aircraft though.

Take the online test and register with the CAA in November, then "wait and see" what'll need to be done in 2022 seems to be the only solid advice for the MM at present.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme