DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class G airspace and Class E

Reactions
So, technically in Class G airspace you are allowed to fly however you want as long as you go by the VFR rules right? And also does the DJI Go App account for altitude when showing warnings for Class E airspace because it shows no warnings about class E in my area and i know that class e starts at 1200AGL

Reactions: AMann
You're not allowed to fly over 400 feet AGL, so airspace at 1200 AGL wouldn't be an issue. While you don't need permission to fly in Class E airspace, you do need permission to fly in Class E Surface.

For sUAS there are only Part 107 Rules and Hobby Rules. As a hobbyist you are allowed to fly in Class G so long as you follow all of the hobby sUAS rules.

The DJI Go App only knows how high the aircraft is in relation to it's Take Off Point. It has no idea what the height is anywhere else unless you took off and flew straight up.

It "might" show a warning zone when you're flying under Class E but the database doesn't take Altitude into consideration only Lat/Lon IIRC.[/QUOTE]

For sUAS there are only Part 107 Rules and Hobby Rules. As a hobbyist you are allowed to fly in Class G so long as you follow all of the hobby sUAS rules.

The DJI Go App only knows how high the aircraft is in relation to it's Take Off Point. It has no idea what the height is anywhere else unless you took off and flew straight up.

It "might" show a warning zone when you're flying under Class E but the database doesn't take Altitude into consideration only Lat/Lon IIRC.
[/QUOTE]
Can you fly over 400ft AGL in Class G as long as you are aware of surrounding airspace?

No. You must also be able to see the drone with your eyes (fly VLOS).

Hobby has NO allowance for flight over 400' AGL what so ever right now. 400'AGL is a hard limit.

Last edited:
Hobby has NO allowance for flight over 400' AGL what so ever right now. 400'AGL is a hard limit.
Do you know about the military BUQ-1 course? I have a certification for that given by DOD since I just passed the training course over the summer since I'm in a military program. Andwe have acquired knowledge to fly 1200AGL and below. This isn't hobbyist, so im pretty sure I can fly over 400ftAGL

Last edited by a moderator:

Only when flying for the DOD.
Otherwise it’s 400’ or less depending on class of airspace and proximity to airports, etc.

All pilots really should know this answer before they start flying a drone.

well OK, pass ticket given with respect since a real drone pilot can fly over 400’ agl ;)

But really, I was also confused about that 1200’ of G airspace lurking below E airspace too, and just stayed out of it until I studied up and got my 107. As mentioned, 400’ AGL. It also includes 400’ directly above terrain, so if you are flying up a hill, you can be higher than 400’ above you as long as you are flying less than 400’ above the top or sides of the hill, and still be in the G airspace. Confusing, yes?

Reactions: MA Drone Pilot
hey, come on, it was a misunderstanding, and plus show some respect to a military UAS pilot.
Oh yeah, it is confusing, but I'm just so used to flying for training, cause we fly Group 1 UAVs that don't really follow civilian airspace, but we still understand the classes of airspace. I was just clarifying, that's why i made this post.

Unless you're flying in a MOA or some "Restricted" airspace you follow FAA rules. It doesn't matter if you're flying a Mavic or a Predator when you're in National Airspace you fly by the same rules. Thank goodness we don't have various sets of rules for the same airspace because then conflicts can not be avoided.

Unless you're flying in a MOA or some "Restricted" airspace you follow FAA rules. It doesn't matter if you're flying a Mavic or a Predator when you're in National Airspace you fly by the same rules. Thank goodness we don't have various sets of rules for the same airspace because then conflicts can not be avoided.
yeah, i understand now. were you air force?

No sir I was an idiot... I didn't serve. I went to college then to work. Looking back... I totally missed a great opportunity and I deeply regret it.

For the record, I am just a civilian with a deeply rooted fascination for Aviation and Emergency Services type work. I have been fortunate enough to have been around aviation on various levels my whole life.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and Carb63
No sir I was an idiot... I didn't serve. I went to college then to work. Looking back... I totally missed a great opportunity and I deeply regret it.

For the record, I am just a civilian with a deeply rooted fascination for Aviation and Emergency Services type work. I have been fortunate enough to have been around aviation on various levels my whole life.
as long as you are doing something for your community or country, you are doing the right thing and deserve the highest respect. The military is just another path.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78