DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Call

Obviously, he didn't bother to read the snippet I provided. ;)
The passage you quoted also exists in the 1.2 manual
"
5. Perform a Waypoint Flight
• Check the Obstacle Avoidance Action settings in the Settings > Safety page of DJI Fly before
performing the Waypoint Flight. When set to Bypass or Brake, the aircraft will brake and
hover in place if an obstacle is detected during the Waypoint Flight. The aircraft cannot
sense obstacles if the Obstacle Avoidance Action is disabled. Fly with caution.
• Observe the environment and ensure there are no obstacles on the route before
performing Waypoint Flight.
• Make sure to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) with the aircraft. Press the flight
pause button in an emergency situation.
• When the signal is lost during flight, the aircraft will perform the action set in On
Signal Lost.

"

BUT both versions say "When the signal is lost during flight, the aircraft will perform the action set in On
Signal Lost.".
From at least one youtube that appears to be incorrect
EDIT hmmmmm. It seems I misjudged the manual, just found this "On Signal Lost The behavior of the aircraft when the remote controller signal is lost during flight. It can be set to RTH, Hover, Land, or Continue." on page 39 of the manual.
So, to be fair the manual may be out of date.

Last edited:
One thing I would like to know is, if this entire video is a way point flight, why are the turns so blooming ragged and quite frequently in the wrong direction?
It's awful control.

Last edited:
The passage you quoted also exists in the 1.2 manual
"
5. Perform a Waypoint Flight
• Check the Obstacle Avoidance Action settings in the Settings > Safety page of DJI Fly before
performing the Waypoint Flight. When set to Bypass or Brake, the aircraft will brake and
hover in place if an obstacle is detected during the Waypoint Flight. The aircraft cannot
sense obstacles if the Obstacle Avoidance Action is disabled. Fly with caution.
• Observe the environment and ensure there are no obstacles on the route before
performing Waypoint Flight.
• Make sure to maintain visual line of sight (VLOS) with the aircraft. Press the flight
pause button in an emergency situation.
• When the signal is lost during flight, the aircraft will perform the action set in On
Signal Lost.

"

BUT both versions say "When the signal is lost during flight, the aircraft will perform the action set in On
Signal Lost.".
From at least one youtube that appears to be incorrect
though I do not know if the drone flown in that video is a Mavic 3 or a Mavic 3 Pro. So, to be fair the manual may be out of date.
As bad as his flight is, it would probably crash into something before making it all the way home.

I wouldn't be surprised if the video as stated is fake and not a single waypoint flight with the "close call" section edited in after being set up and test flown a few times.

You could have blinded someone
A drone with obstacle avoidance on cannot hit a person. I don't know why you continue to ignore the facts. Send me a video of you flying your drone, with obstacle avoidance on, and you're able to hit a person.

I just did a test for setting the obstacle avoidance action. The only three options are brake, avoid and off. RTH isn't even an option. But I've probably had 20 obstacles detected while flying waypoint missions, and it's always done a RTH. So I think that is automatically set by DJI. The obstacle avoidance setting you see don't apply to waypoint missions.

A drone with obstacle avoidance on cannot hit a person. I don't know why you continue to ignore the facts.
By that logic, a drone with OA enabled could not hit a static building, utility pole, bridge, or tree. Yet, it happens. And people don't always remain static, either.

Send me a video of you flying your drone, with obstacle avoidance on, and you're able to hit a person.
That's more your style than mine.

A drone with obstacle avoidance on cannot hit a person. I don't know why you continue to ignore the facts...
Are you kidding... It's you that are ignoring facts!

Around 20 mph.
That's around 9m per sec...

The distance marked below might differ slightly to what I'm estimating... but it would take roughly 1sec from that the drone enters the balcony until it reaches places where people can suddenly turn up from inside the apartment or coming down the stairs.

Your drone will NOT come to a standstill with a speed of 9m/s during 1sec... it will crash into them during braking.

1702366326979.png

The distance marked below might differ slightly to what I'm estimating... but it would take roughly 1sec from that the drone enters the balcony until it reaches places where people can suddenly turn up from inside the apartment or coming down the stairs.

Your drone will NOT come to a standstill with a speed of 9m/s during 1sec... it will crash into them during braking.

View attachment 170953
Call me an old cynic, but this video (like a lot of others posted quite recently featuring similar antics) is nothing more than clickbait to boost the posters stats. And.... no: I didn't watch it. I try hard to avoid supporting anything that gives ammunition to all the bureaucrats who want to rid the airspace of recreational drone users.

View attachment 170953
I guess you don't know how obstacle avoidance works. It views object from a considerable distance and when it determines a need for action, it starts slowing down well in advance of any collision. In this case it determined, rightly, that no collision would occur, so it didn't slow down. It's funny how all these "experts" have decided that obstacle avoidance doesn't work. I guess it's just a marketing ploy!

I guess you don't know how obstacle avoidance works. It views object from a considerable distance...
You're just trolling... what ever you say or think you know, the truth is simple... you're a menace to others with flights like this.

What if that human obstacle enters the balcony suddenly... not giving the OA a chance to... views object from a considerable distance.

Last edited:

View attachment 170953
The internet is wonderful, lol, an approximate floor plan for the 44th floor

It's a pity it doesn't have dimensions because it takes the drone 48 frames at 30fps to cross the roof top garden.

I guess you don't know how obstacle avoidance works. It views object from a considerable distance and when it determines a need for action, it starts slowing down well in advance of any collision. In this case it determined, rightly, that no collision would occur, so it didn't slow down. It's funny how all these "experts" have decided that obstacle avoidance doesn't work. I guess it's just a marketing ploy!
Please enlighten us all by flying your drone at 20 mph (your estimate) toward a brick wall, hold the throttle steady, and allow OA braking to stop the drone. Report back here with video and flight log.

I'm kind of new here, been lurking, but I would have thought a forum like this would be promoting good flying techniques, safe piloting, legalities of the flight, shared experiences, etc... I would also expect this forums number one purpose is to promote such flight in order to keep the hobby as safe as possible by correct information . Allowing a posting like this to continue as long as it has seems to suggest, or give credence to the kind of flight shb posted. This kind of flight should not be promoted or allowed to be used as clickbait for a YouTube account.
Like I said, I am kind of new here so I will go back to lurking, and flying safely and following the rules.

I'm kind of new here, been lurking, but I would have thought a forum like this would be promoting good flying techniques, safe piloting, legalities of the flight, shared experiences, etc... I would also expect this forums number one purpose is to promote such flight in order to keep the hobby as safe as possible by correct information . Allowing a posting like this to continue as long as it has seems to suggest, or give credence to the kind of flight shb posted. This kind of flight should not be promoted or allowed to be used as clickbait for a YouTube account.
Like I said, I am kind of new here so I will go back to lurking, and flying safely and following the rules.
By all means, jump into the conversations here. Thoughtful inputs are always welcome.

I agree with you about the proper objectives of the forum. But I can't see that the OP's flight has been promoted or given credence. The comments have been uniformly negative and supported by facts and sound observations.

I have another close call I will post if I can find it.
Maybe the next one will cost you the drone or land you in deep .......
You have already had problems with at least one other waypoint flight that was beyond control range

Reactions: JDubyaM
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2