DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Call

shb

Reactions
I was flying an out of signal range waypoint mission in Pattaya, Thailand. When editing, I thought I was going to hit this high rise building, and do a RTH, but I just barely missed it. It happens at about the 3 minute mark of the video.

This is an excellent example of why BVLOS is so tricky, and this reminds me of the Pilot that had his entire family with him in the plane he was flying an accidentally crashed into a mountain killing everyone just a few weeks ago. UGH !

Had you been in control of the drone this would have been a daring move but the fact that you lost signal and had no control makes a perfect example of why BVLOS is Governed so hard ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water, and Keep your eyes open for signal loss.

"I was stepping out of the luxurious high rise to enjoy the fountains and the beautiful surroundings of Pattaya when I thought I heard a bunch of bees...WHACK!!!"
🥴🤕.

You forgot, "it was a drone, after hitting me it crashed, I recovered it and my lawyers are now trying to find the pilot, that will be a nice little compensation earner."

Last edited:
It would not of hit anything or anyone because obstacle avoidance was on. Maybe thin wires. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted all my waypoint missions during the trip so I can't review the mission. I have another close call I will post if I can find it.

It would not of hit anything or anyone because obstacle avoidance was on. Maybe thin wires. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted all my waypoint missions during the trip so I can't review the mission. I have another close call I will post if I can find it.
Not being judgmental or anything since I have gone out for a distance test to 2 miles, but in your mind that's all ok that you didn't have control of the drone or that it wasn't within LOS as long as you had obstacle avoidance on? flying illegally is flying illegally, and if anything did happen you would be 100% responsible. Not worth if for me

Last edited:
Obstacle avoidance obviously didn't kick in, or it would have detected the railing, wall, and/or the fountain water, and made an obvious avoidance change of course, which it clearly didn't in the video. Cool, serendipitous flyover, but it should never have happened if your mission was planned properly.

Obvious question is how did you so badly miscalculate both the height of the building (and its rooftop radio antenna!), and the width of the building, to where your mission flew the drone over a balcony inside the exterior of the side of the building and below the top of the building and its antenna?

Safety zone is outside the green outline depicted in the photo below! You flew into the area circled in red, within inches of the railing, the oscillating water fountain stream, the open door, and the empty bench and trimmed bushes! Good thing their Xmas lights weren't up on the balcony yet!
IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I
Obstacle avoidance obviously didn't kick in, or it would have detected the railing, wall, and/or the fountain water, and made an obvious avoidance change of course, which it clearly didn't in the video. Cool, serendipitous flyover, but it should never have happened if your mission was planned properly.

Obvious question is how did you so badly miscalculate both the height of the building (and its rooftop radio antenna!), and the width of the building, to where your mission flew the drone over a balcony inside the exterior of the side of the building and below the top of the building and its antenna?

Safety zone is outside the green outline depicted in the photo below! You flew into the area circled in red, within inches of the railing, the oscillating water fountain stream, the open door, and the empty bench and trimmed bushes! Good thing their Xmas lights weren't up on the balcony yet!
View attachment 170935

View attachment 170932

View attachment 170936

View attachment 170933

I was not withing inches of anything. Obstacle avoidance usally kicks in when your over something by 5 or 10 feet. When you plan a mission, there's no way to know exactly how high buildings are and google maps isn't exact in the horizontal direction either. Since I accidentally deleted the mission I can't say exactly what is was. But it ended up being a successful flight.

Maybe you need to READ the manual!!! You really are a danger to society. If OA HAD detected something, you would have lost another drone.Screenshot 2023-12-11 7.31.02 AM.png

The regulation aside... (as those are obvious & rather easy to understand why they are in place).

But what do you get out of all these BVLOS & out of control range automated flights... & posting about all the close calls?

Fond of playing Russian roulette... " I just barely missed it", "Obstacle avoidance usually kicks in", "When you plan a mission, there's no way to know exactly...", "maps aren't exact", "I have another close call I will post if I can find it"

...or are you just naive, blindly hoping for "It would not of hit anything or anyone because obstacle avoidance was on"

As this isn't the first post from you over the same subject... maybe you get amused over all the squabbling in your threads?

Slow learner

If OA HAD detected something, you would have lost another drone.
No, if OA had kicked in, it would of done a RTH. Read the manual! I'm pretty sure OA is always on when you do a waypoint mission, and always does a RTH. Hover in Place and avoid are not options when you're flying a waypoint mission I'm pretty sure. You'd have to be pretty dumb to set it to hover in place when your out of signal range.

No, if OA had kicked in, it would of done a RTH. Read the manual! I'm pretty sure OA is always on when you do a waypoint mission, and always does a RTH. Hover in Place and avoid are not options when you're flying a waypoint mission I'm pretty sure. You'd have to be pretty dumb to set it to hover in place when your out of signal range.
Read the first point in the photo I posted. And maybe get someone to explain it to you.

Reactions: rwilliam99
I think you overflew the 44th storey of Centric Sea Pattaya Tower A, Pattayasaisong Road. Estimating 3m per storey that is in excess of 132m.

Various websites, including DJI, Thailand - Flying Tips - DJI,
1) list the maximum legal height limit as 90m
2) state that keeping the drone in sight is a requirement
3) state "Do not fly within 30 m of people, buildings, or vehicles"

Last edited:
I was flying an out of signal range waypoint mission in Pattaya, Thailand. When editing, I thought I was going to hit this high rise building, and do a RTH, but I just barely missed it. It happens at about the 3 minute mark of the video.
Your reckless disregard for basic safety and the welfare others is notable.

Do you realize how lucky you were that there were no people on that balcony? Your drone flew through an outdoor living area at face height. You could have blinded someone and been subject to severe criminal prosecution as well as civil lawsuits from the victim.

We'll call your youtube video Exhibit 1. Even without a human injury, the owners or tenants in that apartment decide to go after you for reckless endangerment.

Screenshot 2023-12-11 123940.jpg
A

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_