DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Call

Come guys. This forum is not for coming down hard on pilots when they share their vids. Yes, it is duty to point their errors out for the protection of the hobby and others but again, this forum is for sharing. Let him be. Within this same forum, we have long range flights logged including mine.

To the OP, videos like this should be kept private and not posted on public forums. These types of videos can get you into serious trouble and with that being said, we should stop there.

Reactions: shb
Come guys. This forum is not for coming down hard on pilots when they share their vids.
But @Suren the problem/point is that this is at least the third out-of-control-range waypoint flight where this poster has had problems and this one was a danger to anyone on or in that roof top garden. The poster is perhaps fortunate there was no one there.

1) 02/06/2023 Waypoint mission problem Ankor Wat, Mavic 3 pro - hit a tree
2) 26/06/2023 My mavic 3 pro crash Mavic 3 Pro, crash after hitting guy-wire, you'd think he'd learn something from those

15/01/2023 posts 28, 1, 4 Out of signal range waypoint missions

Other problem flights
24/12/2017 lost magic in boracay lost mavic pro? BVLOS possible forced landing 500m away
09/01/2019 Platinum ocean crash. ... Mavic pro Platinum
post 43 Don't crash your Mavic 3 with Waypoints missions

Last edited:
But @Suren the problem/point is that this is at least the third out-of-control-range waypoint flight where this poster has had problems and this one was a danger to anyone on or in that roof top garden. The poster is perhaps fortunate there was no one there.

1) 02/06/2023 Waypoint mission problem Ankor Wat, Mavic 3 pro - hit a tree
2) 26/06/2023 My mavic 3 pro crash Mavic 3 Pro, crash after hitting guy-wire, you'd think he'd learn something from those

15/01/2023 posts 28, 1, 4 Out of signal range waypoint missions

Other problem flights
24/12/2017 lost magic in boracay lost mavic pro? BVLOS possible forced landing 500m away
09/01/2019 Platinum ocean crash. ... Mavic pro Platinum
post 43 Don't crash your Mavic 3 with Waypoints missions
I understand but hopefully he learns from all the responses on here. Sometimes we need to guide and it might take more prodding then normal to get a person to realise their mistakes.You know the old teaching - tell a child not to do something and they will do it although its wrong, let them do it and face the consequence and they learn. Hopefully he learns from all the wisdom that has been shared with him in this Forum.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I understand but hopefully he learns from all the responses on here. Sometimes we need to guide and it might take more prodding then normal to get a person to realise their mistakes.You know the old teaching - tell a child not to do something and they will do it although its wrong, let them do it and face the consequence and they learn. Hopefully he learns from all the wisdom that has been shared with him in this Forum.
For some reason I think 'facing the consequences', is going to be the only thing that might get through.

Case in point Crash on waypoint mission. just posted, another waypoint crash.
So much for learning.
It also shoots his suggestion that "OA would have saved anyone on /in the roof top garden of the Centric tower" full of holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDubyaM
For some reason I think 'facing the consequences', is going to be the only thing that might get through.

Case in point Crash on waypoint mission. just posted, another waypoint crash.
So much for learning.
It also shoots his suggestion that "OA would have saved anyone on /in the roof top garden of the Centric tower" full of holes.
What made my blood boil was the mention of crashing a drone in Angkor Wat.... a UNESCO world heritage site.

Crashing your drone once is bad luck. Twice is sods law. But five times?

Last edited:
There was no person in that tree. We are still investigating what happened but there could of been a small area of branches with no leaves on it. It would not of hit a person on that hotel.

There was no person in that tree. We are still investigating what happened but there could of been a small area of branches with no leaves on it. It would not of hit a person on that hotel.
I never said there was someone in the tree, I referred to "the roof top garden of the Centric tower" and Centic Tower is the tower with the roof top garden in Pattaye that your drone skimmed. You argued in this thread that OA would have prevented the drone hitting anyone in that garden.
Excerpts of your posts in this thread.
Post 7 "It would not of hit anything or anyone because obstacle avoidance was on."

Post 15 "No, if OA had kicked in, it would of done a RTH. Read the manual! I'm pretty sure OA is always on when you do a waypoint mission, and always does a RTH."

Post 25, "A drone with obstacle avoidance on cannot hit a person. I don't know why you continue to ignore the facts". The crash in the Luzon thread shoots hole in your arguement in this thread.

It's difficlt to know whether OA was on or off in the Luzon crash, in the opening post of the "Crash on waypoint mission" you say
" ........ The only thing I don't understand is why the obstacle avoidance didn't seem to work. There was a small area of the tree with branches without leaves, but it mainly had leaves. I had the obstacle avoidance turned off, but that shouldn't matter on a waypoint mission........."
Which, in one sentence suggests that OA was on and in the next sentence states that it was off.

There was no crash in Ankor Wat. The obstacle avoidance worked like it's supposed to.
From the "Waypoint mission thread"
Post 1 "A mission hit a tree, and did a RTH, be......" I'd bet most people consider that a crash.

In this and other threads, it seems clear that the OP is here for attention and argument rather than information and assistance.

He makes long BVLOS waypoint flights in dense urban areas despite admittedly being unable to ascertain the location and height of obstacles. He then expresses surprise when the drone strikes an obstacle.

He shows little regard for the safety of others and the regulations in the countries where he flies as an American visitor - Cambodia, Thailand, and the Philippines.

He clings to incorrect ideas about how his drone operates, ignoring or refuting those who try to enlighten him.
  • OA is on during all waypoint flights, regardless of the control setting.
  • Encountering an obstacle during a waypoint flight initiates RTH.
  • OA should prevent collisions with obstacles, even when the drone is flying at 20 mph. OA can be relied upon to prevent the drone from striking a person.
Is it time to simply ignore him?

In this and other threads, it seems clear that the OP is here for attention and argument rather than information and assistance.

He makes long BVLOS waypoint flights in dense urban areas despite admittedly being unable to ascertain the location and height of obstacles. He then expresses surprise when the drone strikes an obstacle.

He shows little regard for the safety of others and the regulations in the countries where he flies as an American visitor - Cambodia, Thailand, and the Philippines.

He clings to incorrect ideas about how his drone operates, ignoring or refuting those who try to enlighten him.
  • OA is on during all waypoint flights, regardless of the control setting.
  • Encountering an obstacle during a waypoint flight initiates RTH.
  • OA should prevent collisions with obstacles, even when the drone is flying at 20 mph. OA can be relied upon to prevent the drone from striking a person.
Is it time to simply ignore him?
Or ban him!

Not just BVLOS, but no-signal BVLOS. Hardly more than "I have no idea where my drone is or what it's doing and just hoping it comes back at some point."