DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Encounter with Manned Aircraft - Flight Log Link

My son is new to drones and also getting his private pilots license in Tennessee. His concern, especially in the mountains, is drones. They actually teach drone avoidance now. Not a concern getting mine in the 70’s when we were excited just to have CB’s and walkie-talkies. Hi tech. Back when Drone was a verb, not a noun. Lol

Reactions: ven and dawgpilot
My son is new to drones and also getting his private pilots license in Tennessee. His concern, especially in the mountains, is drones. They actually teach drone avoidance now. Not a concern getting mine in the 70’s when we were excited just to have CB’s and walkie-talkies. Hi tech. Back when Drone was a verb, not a noun. Lol
I am actually surprised by his concern. As an ex Private Pilot I was taught that altitude is your friend and when you are flying in an area without obvious emergency landing sites you should even be higher to ensure you could glide to a safe place to land. In addition, winds are much trickier in the mountains So again, higher altitude. Personally, I would much more concerned over congested areas.

I am actually surprised by his concern. As an ex Private Pilot I was taught that altitude is your friend and when you are flying in an area without obvious emergency landing sites you should even be higher to ensure you could glide to a safe place to land. In addition, winds are much trickier in the mountains So again, higher altitude. Personally, I would much more concerned over congested areas.
Certainly true if everybody played by the rules. Obviously they don’t. Many takeoff from a height already well above 400’ ground level below. They either don’t know or follow the 400’ ground rule in mountains. Avoiding the new drones will be easier and safer for fixed wing. And my son.

As a commercial rated pilot, both fixed wing, and rotary wing, drones are about the very least of my concern.
Easy to say with time and confidence. My kid just got his shirttail cut off this week. Lol
I cant give him any advice cuz in all my years of piloting, I never flew in any mountains. Looked all over Florida and never found one. ?
Had enough close calls with manned aircraft to make me hang it up. Beech (low wing) landed on top of my Cessna (high wing) on final to unmanned airport. He never was in radio contact. All survived but that was it for me. Sun-N-Fun (cancelled this year) was not so fun that year.

Easy to say with time and confidence. My kid just got his shirttail cut off this week. Lol
I cant give him any advice cuz in all my years of piloting, I never flew in any mountains. Looked all over Florida and never found one. ?
Had enough close calls with manned aircraft to make me hang it up. Beech (low wing) landed on top of my Cessna (high wing) on final to unmanned airport. He never was in radio contact. All survived but that was it for me. Sun-N-Fun (cancelled this year) was not so fun that year.

That happened at the airport here a few years back. It seems so ridiculously improbable, but it happens. Two Bonanzas. One pilot was not on the correct CTAF. They never saw each other until contact.

1591309163156.png

Are there any restrictions for manned aircraft when flying over residential areas in terms of height?

I remember that one. In mine, (edited for length) we just kissed inappropriately and unexpectedly for a few seconds in the sky. I touched down first and he landed in front of my prop. People screamed and others applauded. Oh well, it’s a good one to tell the grandkids and great grandkids. They probably don’t believe a word Papa says anyhow. Stay safe all. And don’t forget to look out above.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

Sorry to hear that Capt KO.
I live in BC so mountain flying is basically every time I fly. After Afghanistan, all flights seem calm, nobody trying to shoot me down here. Weather, and other pilots in actual manned aircraft are my main concerns. Birds are a lesser concern, but still a concern, so many birds in my area.

Reactions: sar104 and Capt KO

So as a drone pilot flying above my house at say 200ft, there is a reasonable chance that an airplane could fly at that height. The reason why I ask is I plan on taking sunset timelapse at around 200ft above my house. I live close to an airport, but just outside the airspace. I know I should always be on guard for other aircraft, I just like to know the likelihood of that happening. I assumed that there was a rule on how low manned aircraft can fly above houses and buildings. Just as drones cant fly above 400 AGL.

I remember that one. In mine, (edited for length) we just kissed inappropriately and unexpectedly for a few seconds in the sky. I touched down first and he landed in front of my prop. People screamed and others applauded. Oh well, it’s a good one to tell the grandkids and great grandkids. They probably don’t believe a word Papa says anyhow. Stay safe all. And don’t forget to look out above.

So a real mid-air collision. You were lucky. The one here happened as the lower aircraft landed.

That happened at the airport here a few years back. It seems so ridiculously improbable, but it happens. Two Bonanzas. One pilot was not on the correct CTAF. They never saw each other until contact.

View attachment 103664
I thought they were mating!

• Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one
That observation may have been made by a few people. Well nearly everyone who saw it in fact. There were lots of baby Bonanza jokes at the time.
No new little Musketeers in the area?

Reactions: sar104
Are there any restrictions for manned aircraft when flying over residential areas in terms of height?
Yes there are laws. Also common sense dictates that if we are going to transit any distance, that we climb up to a reasonable altitude. For example if I take off at 2300' msl and will be going 200 nm, and the terrain that I will be going over has a maximum msl of 6500', I would likely climb up to 8500 or 9500 msl. But weather plays a factor in my altitude choice, so lets say that at those altitudes i could be in clouds, I would likely then file IFR and climb on top of the clouds. If the cloud tops are too high, and I am only in my helicopter, then it isn't possible as its not pressurized, nor do i carry oxygen in it, and its illegal for me to fly at whatever altitude I wish, because hypoxia is a legitimate threat. Generally if I am flying over an area with any homes at all, unless just taking off or landing, I want to be a minimum of 3,000 feet above them, its just my personal preference, not law. I'm very fortunate to live in a region where probably 0.00000001% of the land has a home on it.

Reactions: Ars3nal3432
So as a drone pilot flying above my house at say 200ft, there is a reasonable chance that an airplane could fly at that height. The reason why I ask is I plan on taking sunset timelapse at around 200ft above my house. I live close to an airport, but just outside the airspace. I know I should always be on guard for other aircraft, I just like to know the likelihood of that happening. I assumed that there was a rule on how low manned aircraft can fly above houses and buildings. Just as drones cant fly above 400 AGL.
Not likely at all. Fly your drone to 200 ft and look how close that is. I consistently take my to 400 ft to get those pictures. Only thing I watch for is the police choppers. They sometimes are cruising around.

Unfortunately that is not how the law is written. All kinds of manned aircraft operate legally at low altitude, especially helicopters, which don't even need an airport to land, and sUAS are required to yield to all of them.
This is so true with helicopters. I live near the ocean and love to fish. The fire dept. Heli does a lot of low level (well under 100') flights at high speed that hug the shoreline. There is one spot that I fish that you can hear it coming but the homes and terrain block your visual view of it. 3 seconds later it's right in front of you blazin by.
Should my drone been under 100' high and 200' out in front off me who knows what would happen???

Much depends on where you're flying. I'm in a rural area...crop dusters all over the place. I just make sure I'm legal (correct airspace) where I fly and do my best to make way of manned aircraft when necessary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent