DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Collision avoidance between two DJI drones?

Lailert

Reactions
If I fly my DJI Mavic Pro at the same time as my friend’s DJI Phantom 3 Pro will it automatically avoid collision between each other? And will it work in Sports mode as well?

Yeah but it would be a stroke of luck more than an intended behavior... Obstacle avoidance typically needs a relatively large/solid body to retect reliably.

Anyway the P3P doesn't have obstacle avoidance, so he was most likely thinking of another method. If both went at each other and the Mavic saw the P3 it wouldn't back off so the P3 would smash it anyway.

Collision avoidance is simply what the two forward facing cameras see. If they can see an object, they will attempt to avoid it. You can check the specs but this is about a 45 degree angle in most directions. The Mavic is small but if right in front of another Mavic, it will show up and collision avoidance will kick in. But speed of either drone will diminish this ability. I've hovered my P4 in front of the Mavic and it sees it just fine.

Keep in mind, the Mavic only has collision avoidance toward the front of the drone.

You may be asking as you want to fly the Mavic's close together and have collision avoidance prevent them from colliding. This would _not_ be a good idea and you are putting them both at risk.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan