DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Color grading DLOG

So I got the Mavic 3 and shot in DLOG H.265 4k30 and used the film poet LUTs and love the results, does anyone else have these luts?

I purchased the Poet's LUTs about 2 months ago. I have tried numerous times with various LUTs to color grade the M2P footage shot in 4K D-log but so far, the colors are terrible. All I get are weird yellows and reds and warm colors. I have tried all of the LUT's on my footage and I usually wind up deleting them and going back to my regular grading with Premiere Pro. I definitely do not know how to use them.

As far as your footage, I am definitely not impressed. Sorry to say, but those orange trees and washed out colors are flat looking with no zip or any semblance of reality. Just my honest opinion.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: MaxamillianStudio
I use the Mavic Pro D-Log to Rec709 for most of my footage. My trick is to enter the LUT in the Creative tab in Lumetri Color, and hit auto in the Basic Correction tab after... then work around that as a base. You can adjust the intensity, etc to get the look you're going for in Adobe Premiere.

Reactions: Coadyd
I use the Mavic Pro D-Log to Rec709 for most of my footage. My trick is to enter the LUT in the Creative tab in Lumetri Color, and hit auto in the Basic Correction tab after... then work around that as a base. You can adjust the intensity, etc to get the look you're going for in Adobe Premiere.
Confused by your post. Could you explain Rec709.
I have uploaded the Poet LUTs in the uploads folder and have to go there to use them. I'm not really good with Lumetri color wheels.

Confused by your post. Could you explain Rec709.
I have uploaded the Poet LUTs in the uploads folder and have to go there to use them. I'm not really good with Lumetri color wheels.
Sorry, I can see where that may have been confusing. It's just a variant I came across (and can no longer remember where I found it) of the original DJI Lut.

It is the appropriate base LUT to use for Mavic D-Log footage to Rec.709.

Explanation of Rec.709 on wikipedia: Rec. 709 - Wikipedia

Sorry, I can see where that may have been confusing. It's just a variant I came across (and can no longer remember where I found it) of the original DJI Lut.

It is the appropriate base LUT to use for Mavic D-Log footage to Rec.709.

Explanation of Rec.709 on wikipedia: Rec. 709 - Wikipedia
OK- thanks for the rapid reply. I'll search around for it next time I am editing.

I purchased the Poet's LUTs about 2 months ago. I have tried numerous times with various LUTs to color grade the M2P footage shot in 4K D-log but so far, the colors are terrible. All I get are weird yellows and reds and warm colors. I have tried all of the LUT's on my footage and I usually wind up deleting them and going back to my regular grading with Premiere Pro. I definitely do not know how to use them.

As far as your footage, I am definitely not impressed. Sorry to say, but those orange trees and washed out colors are flat looking with no zip or any semblance of reality. Just my honest opinion.

Dale
Miami
it was cloudy and everything is dying here since winter is around, as to the orange trees that was the only thing with color.

also i was getting the same results with the poet luts like you were and i asked why he told me to play with the highlight color wheel if you wanted a cooler effect.

Has DJI put out a new LUT for the M3?

I downloaded the one they put out for the M2P.

The normal mode from the M3 is really good.

From D-Log you can recover well from shadows. When I record in D-Log I always record in +.07 Exposure.
Little over but not too much to lose data. Then I color grade back to the correct exposure.

Normal just looks great IMH.

While I was creating my Lut collection, designed for Mavic3, there was no other similar lut pack around. I still can't find any. Film poets make nice luts, but their so called mavic3 lut pack, is actually a renamed mavic2pro pack. It even says "for dlog-m" that is mavic3pro's type of log. Mavic 3 uses the much flatter log type "d-log" . Check out the true mavic3 lut collection here Mavic 3 LUTs - Cinematic colour grading for everyone

From D-Log you can recover well from shadows. When I record in D-Log I always record in +.07 Exposure.
Little over but not too much to lose data. Then I color grade back to the correct exposure.

Normal just looks great IMH.
Why I always fly with a histogram up. and will adjust the EV to compensate. You can not catch anything that is not on the sensor. Right?
Yes I must say I agree, normal looks spectacular. Hard to imagine colour grading in D-Log will produce superior results.

it is very very good. I had the same thought as well. But if You are going for a different look or you want to pull in the shadows, etc. it's much easier to use DLOG. Also, if you view color correction as an art, it's a blank canvas!

you can bring up your video editors color scopes and see that the normal footage will press up against the highs and lows of the color space. so you are losing "something". But honestly if you'd like that look and you're not a professional, or a perfectionist, it's really really good. Same goes for shooting 4:2:2 more data better detail... but it is subtle.

Why I always fly with a histogram up. and will adjust the EV to compensate. You can not catch anything that is not on the sensor. Right?

it is very very good. I had the same thought as well. But if You are going for a different look or you want to pull in the shadows, etc. it's much easier to use DLOG. Also, if you view color correction as an art, it's a blank canvas!

you can bring up your video editors color scopes and see that the normal footage will press up against the highs and lows of the color space. so you are losing "something". But honestly if you'd like that look and you're not a professional, or a perfectionist, it's really really good. Same goes for shooting 4:2:2 more data better detail... but it is subtle.
I used to make the mistake of not flying with the histogram, lost lots of footage due to being over exposed. Learning to trust the histogram took time, but now I won’t fly without it. As for pro res, it’s pointless for anyone who presents their work on YouTube. Id pretty much say the same for D-Log. The overwhelming majority of people watch a drone video on a tablet, most people don’t spend their leisure time sitting behind a desk. So using D-Log and spending a lot of time colour grading is something only you yourself are going to appreciate. D-Log is more about pride then anything else.

I’ve received about 100 000 views for all my drone videos combined, not once as anyone ever commented about colour grading or anything of that nature. I know that’s not what you want to hear but it’s true. Of course I don’t market my videos to other drone users, I market them to people who like nature and landscapes. People want to see proper exposure and good focus, and flying that won’t make them dizzy... and interesting subjects and composure. If you can get all that in one video that has colours that appear natural, and match it to suitable music even an 80 year old can enjoy then you’ve got a decent piece most people will like.

That’s just my two cents.

Reactions: zeusfl
I’ve received about 100 000 views for all my drone videos combined, not once as anyone ever commented about colour grading or anything of that nature. I know that’s not what you want to hear

That’s just my two cents.
100,000 views and I bet 80+% of them watch it at 1080P or less. Most people watch things on their phone or tablet. Most of this fuss over color grading and 5K HD just goes to waste. It is no surprise to me.

One of my most popular videos on YouTube looks like it was shot on a potato!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpknight