DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Color space Mavic 2 Pro

Nico.Capy

Reactions
Hey guys!

I bought the Mavic 2 Pro a while ago, and part of the reason I chose that drone was the camera quality, being a bit of a photographer. I'm really happy with the drone, I'm having a blast, and the photo quality is amazing. There's just one thing I've been wondering: what color space is it using? sRGB? Adobe RVB? The only info I can find is about dlog-m10 for filming. I've been exporting all my photos in sRVB up to now, but it would be a shame not to use a wider range of colours if available.

Thanks,

Nico

Hey guys!

I bought the Mavic 2 Pro a while ago, and part of the reason I chose that drone was the camera quality, being a bit of a photographer. I'm really happy with the drone, I'm having a blast, and the photo quality is amazing. There's just one thing I've been wondering: what color space is it using? sRGB? Adobe RVB? The only info I can find is about dlog-m10 for filming. I've been exporting all my photos in sRVB up to now, but it would be a shame not to use a wider range of colours if available.

Thanks,

Nico
With RAW it doesn’t matter so just shoot in RAW and you can do whatever you want in post.

I’m sure jpeg is sRGB to answer your question more directly.

The world is getting color management smart little by little. Newer versions of browsers and the markup languages try to support better-than sRGB color space. But still, your best bet for publishing your photos is sRGB to be sure your images display fine for everyone (so the world ain't there yet). Even professional photo hosting sites that use more than one lab for prints advise you to use sRGB.

But that's for your final output. For capturing and editing, it's best to use the highest gamut available. This is wise for those of us that do any significant post-processing, to retain the highest color fidelity throughout the process until we're ready to hit the export button (converting to sRGB just before or during). On the other hand, not all of the Mavic photographers here will be concerned for fine art quality. And to be sure, color management within editing platforms can still be a learning curve, so sticking with sRGB is a lot easier.

So for those that are just shooting for fun or personal prints / posting to social media, sRGB all around is just fine.

For those of us interested in a higher standard and will possibly put the prints though a heavier post-processing layer of steps, using AdobeRGB makes sense, for those that want to bother with all of that.

Yes, if you shoot RAW only, you can change it later. But there's a setting in the camera for a reason. Set it there if you plan on using it, so you don't forget to set it in your editing suite.

Chris

The world is getting color management smart little by little. Newer versions of browsers and the markup languages try to support better-than sRGB color space. But still, your best bet for publishing your photos is sRGB to be sure your images display fine for everyone (so the world ain't there yet). Even professional photo hosting sites that use more than one lab for prints advise you to use sRGB.

But that's for your final output. For capturing and editing, it's best to use the highest gamut available. This is wise for those of us that do any significant post-processing, to retain the highest color fidelity throughout the process until we're ready to hit the export button (converting to sRGB just before or during). On the other hand, not all of the Mavic photographers here will be concerned for fine art quality. And to be sure, color management within editing platforms can still be a learning curve, so sticking with sRGB is a lot easier.

So for those that are just shooting for fun or personal prints / posting to social media, sRGB all around is just fine.

For those of us interested in a higher standard and will possibly put the prints though a heavier post-processing layer of steps, using AdobeRGB makes sense, for those that want to bother with all of that.

Yes, if you shoot RAW only, you can change it later. But there's a setting in the camera for a reason. Set it there if you plan on using it, so you don't forget to set it in your editing suite.

Chris
Thanks! I don't have any big plans for my photography quite yet, so I'll keep exporting them in sRGB. I was wondering if there was a setting on the drone because I know I switched my camera from sRVB to Adobe RVB, but since the best use I have of my photos is printing them for myself, it's no biggie if I stay in sRVB.

I think you'll find that most printers and labs prefer sRGB. Like others are saying, shoot RAW, edit and Export as sRGB.
Start to learn about ICC Profiles. (International Color Consortium). ICC is the world standard on color.
If you get serious about color, you can profile your monitor to an ICC Profile. That way the monitor is color corrected. XRite sells a device called a i1Display or I!Studio, formerly know as Colormunki. These devices will profile your monitor, the i1Studio will profile your monitor and printer.

Xrite also sells a ColorChecker, This is inexpensive and comes with an Adobe Lightroom Plug-in. You can quickly color correct hundreds of photos at a time. It applies an ICC Profile to you photos.

By doing all of this, your monitor, printer and digital files will all match and when you order photos online, they will also match.

Colorchecker is very handy with the M2 - it gets rid of the hugely oversaturated green and blue on the DNGs and so on.
I use a custom profile as a default import before i start editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada