DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

COMMERCE DEPARTMENT ADD DJI TO ITS ECONOMIC BLACKLIST

Actually i dont have drone. I sent to DJI and waiting for their trade up. Now I am thinking of buying it quickly.

Wonder now if it's the time to start selling my DJI gear before the big panic over this starts ?.... :confused:
Not at all. This will not affect DJI owners in the slightest. As mentioned, at worst, it could create a supply chain hiccup if they source parts from the US. And that's not going to be a large number of parts.

Not at all. This will not affect DJI owners in the slightest. As mentioned, at worst, it could create a supply chain hiccup if they source parts from the US. And that's not going to be a large number of parts.

The Smart Controller is on thin-ice unless they can get a "license" to keep using Android. Past companies on "the list" have been able to, but it's certainly one of the more obvious DJI things at risk.

EDIT: See below.

Last edited:
The Smart Controller is on thin-ice unless they can get a "license" to keep using Android. Past companies on "the list" have been able to, but it's certainly one of the more obvious DJI things at risk.
Only if DJI sources components for it from the US. I don't see this as causing any issue with Android.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Only if DJI sources components for it from the US. I don't see this as causing any issue with Android.

My mistake.

It's not just hardware components and parts, but all technology, including software and such.

That said, I believe you are correct, as my brain (incorrectly) immediately jumps to Google when I think of Android (based on my use of US Android phones) and all Google services would not be allowed without a the special license. The pure open source version of Android, without any Google apps or services would be just fine to use, and is probably what DJI is using, since there is no Play Store or other Google Apps included.

Reactions: drakkor

Won't be DJI suffering here.
All those search and rescue, professional survey companies and filmmakers who are now going to struggle to get by far the best tool for the job (and in lots of areas, where there is absolutely no alternative product) will suffer instead.

Seems somewhat idiotic to ban your own people from being able to use by far the best and often only tool for a job.

Hollywood shouldn’t mind the ban since its being done because of human rights abuses, not because of spying.

I can't imagine DJI sources many (if any) parts from the US. Maybe something stupid like screws inside the controller.

This article is not saying DJI isn't allowed to sell to the USA, it is NOT saying DJI products are going to disappear... What it IS saying though, is that if DJI uses American made parts, they will have to source them from somewhere else.

If you want to know what this means, ask Huawei.
They can't use US technology in their products now, not without getting explicit permission from the government. It also means that pretty soon, you can still purchase it, just not from any US company. You'll most likely be going straight to DJI.
But basically, it means that they became too big in the US market, and the competition found a way to slow them down. Just like the new ID rules that are about to come into play, this is all about money.

Reactions: drakkor and ecolier
Reactions: itsneedtokno
If you want to know what this means, ask Huawei.
They can't use US technology in their products now, not without getting explicit permission from the government. It also means that pretty soon, you can still purchase it, just not from any US company. You'll most likely be going straight to DJI.
But basically, it means that they became too big in the US market, and the competition found a way to slow them down. Just like the new ID rules that are about to come into play, this is all about money.
This is incorrect.

It will do nothing to the consumer purchases of any products made by companies on that list.

As mentioned earlier, at the most this will create a temporary supply chain disruption for any part that DJI uses that is sourced from the U.S. And those parts are few and far between.

I reached out to DJI yesterday and got this quote: “DJI is disappointed in the U.S. Department of Commerce's decision. Customers in America can continue to buy and use DJI products normally. DJI remains committed to developing the industry's most innovative products that define our company and benefit the world.”

Reactions: Thomas B
It also means that pretty soon, you can still purchase it, just not from any US company. You'll most likely be going straight to DJI.
How does being on the Entity List affect the sale of DJI products in the US? It only affects the export of US technologies to companies on the list.

As an aside, one of the reasons cited for putting DJI on the list is that their products have allegedly been used by the Chinese government for surveillance and other issues related to human rights. How can a commercial company be held responsible for what their products are used for after they’re sold? Would that mean that if the Chinese government bought Skydio (US manufactured) drones on the open market and used them for similar tasks affecting human rights, the US would put Skydio on the Entity List? I think not! This is a purely political move.

I’ve always wondered about the concern that the Chinese may see drone footage that might comprise secretes. After all, there’s google maps if they want to see my neighborhood, parks, or where I buy groceries. And, if the see a National Park, waterway, or beach, who has been compromised?

I think you've said this at least 5 times in this thread... So far.
And if members continue it will be said even more till I close this.
And that is coming.
I have deleted the last 2 post and issued warnings and will continue till it's stopped.
No More Political Comments
Come on guys discuss all you want but Stay Within The Guidelines.

DJI will have to ship their own LCD screens to users for free if the apps are disallowed. This will also cause issue with FAA authorisations

Being on the Entity List will not affect any apps being the Google Play or Apple App Store.

Being on the Entity List means that a company will need to apply for a license in order to obtain certain protected technologies. If they get the license, they can get the parts. It does not restrict a company from selling products and services in the US. It also has no effect on products built without items from the protected technology list.

While DJI designs and builds the drones in China, it does have US technology in it. If you take the Air 2 as an example, the battery processor is a TI chip, the H6 processor chip may be from Ambarella (the source for the Mini's H6), the radio amp IC is from Qorvo. These are all US companies.

While the battery and radio IC's are probably not on the protected technologies list, the H6 probably is. They could source the H6 from a Chinese company, but that would mean that they would have test everything in the drone against a SoC from another vendor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav