DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

COMMERCE DEPARTMENT ADD DJI TO ITS ECONOMIC BLACKLIST

This means that DJI drones may not be used by the U.S. Government including the Civil Air Patrol. CAP had already listed DJI as "may not use."

I was under the impression that a DJI product such as the phantom could be used in CAP as long as it ran the kittyhawk software instead of Chinese software.

This means that DJI drones may not be used by the U.S. Government including the Civil Air Patrol. CAP had already listed DJI as "may not use."

That's not what it means to be placed on the Entity List. It literally states the following:

Bureau of Industry and Security said:
The Entity List identifies foreign parties that are prohibited from receiving some or all items subject to the EAR [Export Administration Regulations] unless the exporter secures a license.

While the CAP and other agencies may be prohibited from using DJI products, that is not connected to being on the Entity List.

Reactions: nhgill960
The people at autel are probably smiling right now
Why. They get parts from China, Japan and not sure where else.
They are assembled in the U.S. and headquarters are here. ?‍♂️

The crazy thing is, this is not because of anything they have done, but only because of where they are located. Seems utterly ridiculous to me. I hope some day we return to normal.
It appears that they were added to the list because of a deal for DJI to supply drones to the public security bureau of Xinjian. These drones were then used for surveillance of the Muslim minorities in Xinjian. SInce 2017, more than a million Muslims have been placed in concentration camps.

It appears that they were added to the list because of a deal for DJI to supply drones to the public security bureau of Xinjian. These drones were then used for surveillance of the Muslim minorities in Xinjian. SInce 2017, more than a million Muslims have been placed in concentration camps.
If manufacturers were blamed for what their products were subsequently used for, most of them would be out of business in no time. Would you ban a cutlery manufacturer if one of their table knives was used in a murder? A camera manufacturer if one of their cameras was used for taking illegal photos?

Last edited:
Why. They get parts from China, Japan and not sure where else.
They are assembled in the U.S. and headquarters are here. ?‍♂️
Because they're not the ones on the blacklist. Therefore having a strategic advantage.

It all depends if the mfr knew how the product would be used.
The U.S. government doesn’t even use that “knowledge” factor to regulate U.S. companies. Doubt if it’s a factor.

Wonder if the Chinese government even offered options to any of the DJI companies. I suspect if anything, the government there just dictated to DJI.

But that would require them to ask everyone who bought one of their products what they intended to use it for (in detail) both now and at some indeterminate time in the future. How could the manufacturer possibly be expected to police this?

Wonder if the Chinese government even offered options to any of the DJI companies. I suspect if anything, the government there just dictated to DJI.
I highly doubt that DJI operated the drones they sold to the Chinese government. I don’t imagine for a moment that they were even told what the drones would be used for after they were sold.

Reactions: Thomas B
Not by the rules in place for being placed on the Entity List. If that was the case, Toyota would be on the list because of all of the terrorist groups in Africa and the Middle East that rely on Toyota Hilux.

Not true..., example: baseball bats have been used to assault and are sometimes kept for just that reason... mfr is not responsible for end user actions. If they were all traffic citations would be sent to car manufacturers for payment, etc.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I doubt mfrs of baseball bats made sales to entities that knowingly would be using or be sold to be used for violence.

I might not be explaining it clearly for some to understand what I'm getting at. But I figure some do get it but don't want to admit it.

Not by the rules in place for being placed on the Entity List. If that was the case, Toyota would be on the list because of all of the terrorist groups in Africa and the Middle East that rely on Toyota Hilux.
I doubt Toyota intentionally sells directly or indirectly to terrorist groups.

Remember the term intent?

I cannot find the article with the associated discussion afterwards, but someone stated that it wasn't just DJI selling the products, but the contract also included training and data analysis for the Xianjian Police forces.

Anybody hear anything like that or is it fake news?

If something like that is true where active DJI employees were on scene in some way contributing, then yeah I can totally see why they are on this list.

What about how this could affect Remote ID, does anyone have any thoughts?

That was my point.

I cannot find the article with the associated discussion afterwards, but someone stated that it wasn't just DJI selling the products, but the contract also included training and data analysis for the Xianjian Police forces.

Anybody hear anything like that or is it fake news?

If something like that is true where active DJI employees were on scene in some way contributing, then yeah I can totally see why they are on this list.

What about how this could affect Remote ID, does anyone have any thoughts?
I haven't seen any articles that document that DJI staff were on the scene or otherwise involved. There was a single news release on the DJI site (since removed) that stated they had signed a "Strategic Cooperation" agreement with the Public Security department of Xinjiang to supply drones. The Chinese government and China-based companies toss around the term "Strategic Cooperation" a lot. By itself, it's just flowery prose.

I was under the impression that a DJI product such as the phantom could be used in CAP as long as it ran the kittyhawk software instead of Chinese software.
I do not remember the exact rules, but certainly "Do Not Use" for any missions paid for by the U.S.A.F. That means, in practice, do not purchase by CAP. As I understand it, CAP will be going to the Skydio X2D drone in limited numbers. Currently, the Arizona Wing has purchased five Skydio 2s.

Reactions: nhgill960

I’m sorry but I can’t work out what you’re getting at here. Are you saying that DJI sold their products knowing that they would be used for human rights abuses?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31