DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Commercial work and a tethered drone - 107 needed?

PropSpin

Reactions
So, what if you were doing work that didn't require much altitude or maneuvering around obstacles and you had your drone on a leash. Would the FAA still require you to have your 107?
Not that I'd necessarily try it, but I am curious.

I don't think tethering is addressed in the rules. A tethered hot air balloon does not need the same requirements as a free flying balloon, at least I remember someone telling me that.

Until it's specifically spelled out as Allowed Under Part 107 it's not. If the aircraft is classified as a sUAS and it's flying in the NAS (not inside etc) it' still falls under existing rules until allowances are added for it.

I would imagine as more and more "tethered" options become available and are used we might see something written specifically about their use etc but until then they are not excluded.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The drone (classification) still falls under part 107

That is amazing. Tethering a quad would remove most of the dangers of flying a drone, no fly aways, low altitude ensured, etc.
I remember seeing a set up for sale that basically was a weather balloon, some line, & a camera mount. Filled with helium, it would allow someone to take photos of properties, without the need for any FAA approval since it was connected to the ground.

I remember seeing a set up for sale that basically was a weather balloon, some line, & a camera mount
The main difference here is that connecting a tether to a drone does not change the fact that it's an aircraft. And since it's being flown for commercial purposes, one can no longer fly it as a hobbyist.

I don't think tethering is addressed in the rules. A tethered hot air balloon does not need the same requirements as a free flying balloon, at least I remember someone telling me that.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

That only applies to lighter-than-air, unpropelled aircraft. The FAA has clarified that tethered UAVs are still UAVs, and subject to either Part 107 or, if flown recreationally, Part 101.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Question: tethered UAVs ? I really understand what you are saying, and I also understand that a drone, that is tethered would allow some control over the distance, but that would limit the drone: Do you think that would take the fun out of the drone?

I guess that why DJI came out with this NFZ on their version of GEO fencing. there are so must discussing on some of the other forums about this right now.

Question: tethered UAVs ? I really understand what you are saying, and I also understand that a drone, that is tethered would allow some control over the distance, but that would limit the drone: Do you think that would take the fun out of the drone?

A tethered sUAS has a lot of benefits in certain instances depending on the model of tethering etc.

a) Very long flight times (sometimes 10-12 hours)
b) Rock solid DATA transmission (carried via the cable instead of over the air)
c) allows for a deeper level of automation due to limited flight area

Tethered sUAS are great for Over Watch for things like games, events, and other gatherings are well as Emergency Services operations (watching over a fire etc).

In cases where you might consider tethering a drone, you would not be flying it for fun.

I agree. I can see that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23