DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Common sense. Wind speed for Mavic 2

Be aware that the UAV app doesn't tell you GO or NO GO ... it's you as every aspect that it tells you is & should be configured by yourself. So again into the spec sheet for the drone regarding what's the limits for everything shown in the app.

Try & hit one of those squares on the intro page in the app, take wind ... which altitude do you want to have, how strong wind can YOU allow, should gusts be included?

Just saying ...
Unfortunately, it does say “Good to Fly” and “Not Good to Fly”. Seems to accept a lot of responsibility.

I have been watching the wind at attitude for a few days. At 100 feet, the wind speed is almost always double of the ground value!
No wonder why so many Mavic mini got blown away when people fly too high

I have been watching the wind at attitude for a few days. At 100 feet, the wind speed is almost always double of the ground value!
No wonder why so many Mavic mini got blown away when people fly too high
Also noticed that UAV app is always about 7 to 15km/h higher than the weather network app. And most of the time the weather network wind speed is closer to what I can feel outside at ground level.

“Better to be on the ground, wishing you were up there vs up there, wishing you were back on the ground. If there is anything I’ve learned in 27 years of skydiving, 17833 jumps, the wind must be respected?
Blue Skies from SoCal (soon to be Idaho).

The DJI app will also give you a high wind warning and advise you to land your drone asap. You can take heed or ignore depending on your judgment, but if you're not getting that warning while flying, then you are good.

The DJI app will also give you a high wind warning and advise you to land your drone asap. You can take heed or ignore depending on your judgment, but if you're not getting that warning while flying, then you are good.
Ok. Thanks. Never got that warning so far.
So I can push my “bar” a little higher.

Can’t seem to get the ‘reply’ feature to work on my iPad. Anyway, @pelagic_one suggests “Just my humble guess, but might there be a range of max wind speeds given, depending on flying mode (cinematic to sport)?”
I think that makes sense. Anyone know for sure?

I have been using the UAV Forecast app for the past 4 months and use it daily. Setting the ‘Threshold Settings” appropriately is crucial to getting accurate “Safe to Fly” display in the app. I have Max gust at 400’ set to 24 mph (top of DJI M2P range).
I would say an app like that is a necessity for any pilot. I have seen 10 mph winds at ground and 61 mph gusts at 400’.

I've flown my MP and P4P in stronger winds than I thought possible to fly and video. Steady winds are seldom as much trouble as gusts.

One learning that I can pass along from videoing in strong wind with my P4P -- if you fly sideways into the wind, you can get to a point where the bird can handle the wind but the gimbal can't and starts bouncing around. Turn and fly forward into the wind, and it handled the same wind fine.

Bob R.

Yesterday was 17km (11miles) /hour. Mavic 2 had no problem. But I can see it was tilting to lock into position.

By your experience, at what wind speed I should stop flying. I am only 2 weeks into this hobby. Just want to be safe and aware of what other people do.

Thanks

I posted a video of what happens when the winds compromise your Mavic 2.

I flew last month in some strong winds.

In fact I had to give it full throttle to bring it back to where I was and saw the battery time go down fairly fast.

I had driven some distance from my hotel in Christchurch to the Banks Peninsula late in the afternoon. It had been cloudy for a couple of days but the weather apps. said it would clear up after 6 PM, so I drove about 90 minutes.

When I started, it was still overcast but within 30 minutes, I was getting sunlight. I used 2 of my batteries and then on the way back, I stopped at another spot, about 10 kms away. However, the wind picked up right after I launched. DJI Go app. warned to bring drone back so I tried to take as many shots as I can on my last battery and then managed to get it back to land.

Usually I would heed the wind warnings but considering the circumstances, I just wanted to use the last battery, since I'd driven a long way and didn't know when it would next be clear.

I flew last month in some strong winds.

In fact I had to give it full throttle to bring it back to where I was and saw the battery time go down fairly fast.

I had driven some distance from my hotel in Christchurch to the Banks Peninsula late in the afternoon. It had been cloudy for a couple of days but the weather apps. said it would clear up after 6 PM, so I drove about 90 minutes.

When I started, it was still overcast but within 30 minutes, I was getting sunlight. I used 2 of my batteries and then on the way back, I stopped at another spot, about 10 kms away. However, the wind picked up right after I launched. DJI Go app. warned to bring drone back so I tried to take as many shots as I can on my last battery and then managed to get it back to land.

Usually I would heed the wind warnings but considering the circumstances, I just wanted to use the last battery, since I'd driven a long way and didn't know when it would next be clear.
the max speed of Mavic 2 is 72km/h. Does it mean it can fight 72km/h wind?
Of course in which case it has no way to come back. I am just doing a simple math here.
Or in 50km/h wind, it can flight at 22km/h against the wind?

Of course in which case it has no way to come back. I am just doing a simple math here.
It would mean that it could fight the 72 Km/hr wind, but in doing so it would be up against a brick wall that it could not make headway, or even manoeuvre against. If you were able to keep the Mavic perfectly balanced and aligned directly into the [assume 'constant speed'] wind, then theoretically it would hold position - but as soon as you moved to go up, down or sideways, the change of attitude would make the drone flip out and head down-wind pretty fast.

Reactions: bonmot
It would mean that it could fight the 72 Km/hr wind, but in doing so it would be up against a brick wall that it could not make headway, or even manoeuvre against. If you were able to keep the Mavic perfectly balanced and aligned directly into the [assume 'constant speed'] wind, then theoretically it would hold position - but as soon as you moved to go up, down or sideways, the change of attitude would make the drone flip out and head down-wind pretty fast.
Yes.Just confirming my theoretical understanding. LOL.
Thanks for the “as soon as ...”. And I think I understood.

Ok I will get the app on my phone and iPad. Thanks a lot.
The "Dark Sky" app is a dab better/accurate than "UAV Forecast" but I often use both. Plus if your fold up landing pad keeps trying to blow away - it is too windy to fly a UAV that day!

The "Dark Sky" app is a dab better/accurate than "UAV Forecast" but I often use both. Plus if your fold up landing pad keeps trying to blow away - it is too windy to fly a UAV that day!
I would say UAV Forecast is not accurate about the wind speed according to my 2 weeks of experience. Most of the time it tell me that the wind speed is much higher than what I can feel and what I get from "the weather network" app.
I searched Dark Sky on my iPhone. Only thing related to weather is a $6.99 app: Living Earth - Clock & Weather.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but you also want to pay attention to wind direction. Always start your flight going against the wind since you want the wind working for you when you are trying to get the drone back to you at the end of a flight.

Reactions: Thomas B and bonmot
I don't know if this has been mentioned but you also want to pay attention to wind direction. Always start your flight going against the wind since you want the wind working for you when you are trying to get the drone back to you at the end of a flight.
Good point. A lot of good “habits” need to be established over the time.

Exactly, always start flying against the wind, check the speed. If it lower than 18km/h I land straight away.

It's very rare that the wind are more than 72km/h, but it happend once for me when snowboarding, have to land it and walk in deep snow to pick it up :)

Here's an example of gusts up to 17m/s:

Reactions: Thomas B and bonmot
Exactly, always start flying against the wind, check the speed. If it lower than 18km/h I land straight away.

It's very rare that the wind are more than 72km/h, but it happend once for me when snowboarding, have to land it and walk in deep snow to pick it up :)

Here's an example of gusts up to 17m/s:
Wow. Mavic 2 is a working horse!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne