DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compas problem or something more sinister? Help..

Sallee

Reactions
Check my picture, u can see position of the plane in relation to controler.. its not correct, what is the problem here?

0-02-0a-9b460bfc0df0a667cd76c7a2aee9a799945dae162eb6eefc7c1e17d5d422fe6d_70ffcaa4.jpg

see now how it change when i change direction on controler,
0-02-0a-46fcee8fb79c3209cdff09c6c1599bdecdac4f398d013912ecca8248f3f022d4_f08689dd.jpg

some time after 7-8 min during flight this changed to (almost but not complete) correct position as u can see here 0-02-0a-4cd1d227c9863569716d648e8bc82ab0d9fbaedc17916397281755fc5d48d618_f2fcc19b.jpg

so please help how to fix this? is this just compass calibration problem, or something more sinister?

edit: also to say couple of days ago i fly with this problem i am talking about so at 800m from me at 120m hight, this circle ( which shows position of aircraft to controler) disapierd it flashed red circle and there was no pointer of aircraft.. it hapend only once but plane fly normal and in short time when plane come closer to me all things recovered normally fly with no problem.. but it scared me

Last edited:
I also had the same problem. In the end it was phone problem, compass was not calibrated, and I even had problem to calibrate it, I tried many apps, I tried calibration from Google Maps, nothing helped, it was stuck as "low accuracy" in Google Maps. Many compass app was going wild with the pointer. After that I just did a "universal solution": I reset the phone (not factory reset, but simple reset). After that I easily calibrated phone compass, and finally compass worked fine in DJI Fly app.

P.S.
Pozdrav za Srbiju :)

I've had the same thing happen to me. Try calibrating the compass on your phone while it is attached to the controller.
How to calibrate compass on iPhone 7? Also do u know is it dangerous to fly like this?

I also had the same problem. In the end it was phone problem, compass was not calibrated, and I even had problem to calibrate it, I tried many apps, I tried calibration from Google Maps, nothing helped, it was stuck as "low accuracy" in Google Maps. Many compass app was going wild with the pointer. After that I just did a "universal solution": I reset the phone (not factory reset, but simple reset). After that I easily calibrated phone compass, and finally compass worked fine in DJI Fly app.

P.S.
Pozdrav za Srbiju :)

P.S. pozdrav druže :) pišem ti u poruci na private

Someone mentioned going into the Compass Setting on your I-Phone and turning on the "Use True North" setting instead of the "Magnetic North Setting" to help with this problem.
actually i tried that, and it didnt help it was worse.. almost 20 min was wrong pointer.. last 5 min it corrected itself but still, while i was flying i got again that ''error'' from beginning of my post and i managed to print screen it , so please can somebody tell me what is this error? and what does it mean, and is it dangerous?
it blinked only for 10-15 sec and i had a full control of plane as u can see i pointed at me and i was heading back.. couple of seconds after this print screen i got back my pointer back (which was still showing wrong direction).. flight was stable only that red thing worries me
0-02-05-0d76e02a756e2cbaacb44198f6dd1e76db06eb3a650e64816275afd71108b262_b703cea4.jpg

Last edited:
That red icon of a phone with a strike through it is supposed to mean your phone or tablet doesn't have a GPS lock. It seems to want to use your phone GPS position as well as compass to know what to display on the aircraft position indicator.

You can still fly without any issues. I personally never rely on the little indicator as it's not very reliable. The pop up map in the bottom left is much more reliable and shows more info.

That red icon of a phone with a strike through it is supposed to mean your phone or tablet doesn't have a GPS lock. It seems to want to use your phone GPS position as well as compass to know what to display on the aircraft position indicator.

You can still fly without any issues. I personally never rely on the little indicator as it's not very reliable. The pop up map in the bottom left is much more reliable and shows more info.
yes i know about that map in bottom left, so u think i can just ignore that indicator? i can continue to fly forward with no worries? just to watch on that small map on bottom left if i need to oriented myself?
do u know why this problem happend? my plane was in airplane mode i have iphone 7

Reactions: scro
I ignore the indicator and don't have any problems. On the few occasions that I've accidentally lost visual contact with the drone I've used the map to see where it is and used the red line that points back to home to bring the drone back closer until I can see it again. The mini is small, grey and easy to lose sight of against a dull grey sky.

It's not good practice to fly so far away you can't see your drone or know where it is, and in many countries this is illegal without special permission. Many people do, though.

Fly safe, have fun!

That red icon of a phone with a strike through it is supposed to mean your phone or tablet doesn't have a GPS lock. .............
I wondered what that meant thank you.
I also get a red semicircle but it's drawn in a dashed line not a solid one, do you happen to know what that means?

Reactions: scro
Possibly means your smartphone or tablet compass needs calibrating. General advice is to clip it into the controller and then wave it round in a figure of 8 pattern. Calibrating when attached to the controller helps compensate for the local magnetic fields the controller innards emit. It's not completely foolproof though.

Possibly means your smartphone or tablet compass needs calibrating. General advice is to clip it into the controller and then wave it round in a figure of 8 pattern.
i didnt quite understand what did u say when u say to wave it round? and how to calibrate compas in iphone 7 ? and do somewhere on DJI forum have something about this problem? if anyone have some link

i didnt quite understand what did u say when u say to wave it round? and how to calibrate compas in iphone 7 ? and do somewhere on DJI forum have something about this problem? if anyone have some link

Reactions: Sallee
The problem is the internal location of the compass on some phones. The sticks on the Mini remote use magnets and for some reason, they radiate a stronger magnetic field than other Dji controllers. This messes up the compass on those phones that have the compass close to the edge of the phone that butts up against the controller.

I have a Mavic Pro and the controller also affects the compass on the phone but just barely, not enough to mess it up.

I've given up trying to keep it working. I calibrate the phone compass and it's good for a bit then it gets messed up again. I never really used that function of the app anyway. It not working doesn't affect anything else. To me, it's just a convenience, not a necessity since I don't do long range flights where I lose the video feed so I just look at the video feed to get the orientation when needed.

And no, it does not mean you don't have GPS. It just means the compass in the phone isn't matching the compass in the aircraft so the app isn't going to use it.

mini app oeientation.JPG

The problem is the internal location of the compass on some phones. The sticks on the Mini remote use magnets and for some reason, they radiate a stronger magnetic field than other Dji controllers. This messes up the compass on those phones that have the compass close to the edge of the phone that butts up against the controller.

I have a Mavic Pro and the controller also affects the compass on the phone but just barely, not enough to mess it up.

I've given up trying to keep it working. I calibrate the phone compass and it's good for a bit then it gets messed up again. I never really used that function of the app anyway. It not working doesn't affect anything else. To me, it's just a convenience, not a necessity since I don't do long range flights where I lose the video feed so I just look at the video feed to get the orientation when needed.

And no, it does not mean you don't have GPS. It just means the compass in the phone isn't matching the compass in the aircraft so the app isn't going to use it.

View attachment 102345
Ok so to conclude, it is phone problem with compass who has interfirence with controller.. it does not have any affect on flying drone only if drone is beyond visual range it is difficult to set antennas of controller to target the phone but u can managed with that minimap in left corner.
do u agree with me ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead