DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibrating

CornerGuy

Reactions
Seemed to take a long time to calibrate the compass on my new CrystalSky today, like 10 min of spinning before it took.
I was far away from any metal structures, no phone, keys, watch on me. Does it usually take this long?

How close was your controller/CS? Don't forget that anything you're carrying/wearing can also cause interference (although your zippers are probably fine - no need to run around in your underwear spinning your drone).

Reactions: Timster1973
I didn’t have the controller with me.
Spinning in underwear... Good one!

It shouldn't take long, either way. Have you tried both methods (holding flat while turning yourself, and turning it in-hand while keeping it flat)?

Did you have a problem that required you to calibrate it ??

I only ask as I have never done mine yet.

I was holding it flat and turning the CS only, tried different speeds and directions.

No problems or notifications with the CS, but I know when we get new drones the compass should be calibrated, so figured same holds true for a CS.

Reactions: Aussievette
@CornerGuy I have the exact same problem.

Nine times out of ten, it just fails completely.

No idea why...

Out of interest, do you have a bracket or mount attached while doing this?

I have the tiny little metal plate from the DJI quick release attached, I was wondering if this tiny bit of metal might be causing it some confusion?

I do have a small DJI mounting plate attached but it and the screws are non ferrous so shouldn’t affect compass.

Ok, that rules out the only idea I had then :rolleyes:

Each time I have tried to calibrate, I have been indoors. Same with you? Would a lack of GPS signal prevent the compass from calibrating?

Let's see if others have this same issue.

That's me out of ideas then mate :(

Wonder if this problem is unique to one of the three models, and not the other two? Which do you own?

Talking about compass calibrating.

I never do that. BUT... I live in The Netherlands and on holiday now in the Seychelles. So bit far from home... My first flight the bird took of and was not hovering but flying backwards........ And there was not a lot of place to do that kind of "funny" things by itself.

Lucky me he reacted fine on foreward stick en i had enough control to land it.

Quickly thinking and i thought that it could only be the compass. So i calibrated the CS Ultra en the bird. And from that moment everything was fine.

So, what we all knew and i know now, CALIBRATE on a new location.

Peter

I just tried CS compass calibration again and think I hit on something. I let it sit outside for 10 minutes before I ran calibration and calibration took less then 30 seconds.
Maybe it takes a while with clear view of sky for GPS to lock on, or internal compass (does CS even have one?) to settle down???
Hope this helps.

Reactions: Hollow Dog
I was holding it flat and turning the CS only, tried different speeds and directions.

No problems or notifications with the CS, but I know when we get new drones the compass should be calibrated, so figured same holds true for a CS.

I used to do my bebop like that but the Mavic is easier. Stand at attention. Bring your arm and pro to 90 deg ,parallel to ground. Slowly turn around once maybe twice, then you will be prompted to flip drone parallel to your body and keep turning. On the *** end of the Mavic u should see a green light after maybe 3 turns. I calibrate every time I change locations. If it takes more than 2 or three minutes, you ain’t got it. Turn off everything start over. That’s what I do anyway and I get a Success! Every time. Yeah bebop used to wear my arm out ha. Dug a hole in the street!

let it sit outside for 10 minutes before I ran calibration and calibration took less then 30 seconds.

Yeah I was wondering if a good GPS signal was a requirement.

I'll try outside tomorrow and see if my CS calibrates just as quickly Thumbswayup

Reactions: zorr0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15