DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error, magnetic interference

wco81

Reactions
Using a drone for the first time overseas.

Every time I start it up, the app. displays mag. interference and prompts to recalibrate. So I do that, rotate horizontally and vertically.

Now the times I've started it up on this Italy trip, I was far away from each previous location, maybe a few hundred kilometers in distance.

Is this a common thing? I don't mind doing it each time I start it up in a new location.

Just want to make sure while I'm still in the warranty period.

Reactions: Jaspar
Using a drone for the first time overseas.

Every time I start it up, the app. displays mag. interference and prompts to recalibrate. So I do that, rotate horizontally and vertically.

Now the times I've started it up on this Italy trip, I was far away from each previous location, maybe a few hundred kilometers in distance.

Is this a common thing? I don't mind doing it each time I start it up in a new location.

Just want to make sure while I'm still in the warranty period.

30 miles from the previous calibration location or 30 days and it prompts.

The original firmware did this, then stopped through a few updates but does it again now on the latest ones.

Reactions: micron
I had the same problem.

I discovered that magnetic locks, speakers, stepper motors, magnetic mounts, also lens filter cases with magnetic closure generate strong magnetic influences. I had a box, containing a cheap drone used as a start base. The rotor motors caused the strong magnetic interference... When I removed this box and started from the natural ground, or a proper landing platform, the problems were blown away.

Keep all magnetic items 5m away from the drone!! Even inconspicuous things such as cases with magnetic closure can cause such interference

Bicycles, cars, and other non-magnetized steel objects do not disturb the compass function. only strong magnets (even small ones), disturb the compass.

Cars certainly can. They contain large chunks of ferrous metal in places in addition to wires and electrical currents.

No, that's not correct. I often start my M2Z from the car roof and have never had a compass error!

The cabling in the car is so complex that it does not cause any external magnetic effects. Only the speakers in the vehicle have a strong magnetic effect. These are shielded by the car-body to the outside.

Many YT videos show that the pilots launch their copter right next to the vehicle and never have a problem with it.

The self-magnetism of cars is so low, that it is insignificant for the drone's compass.

No, that's not correct. I often start my M2Z from the car roof and have never had a compass error!

The cabling in the car is so complex that it does not cause any external magnetic effects. Only the speakers in the vehicle have a strong magnetic effect. These are shielded by the car-body to the outside.

Many YT videos show that the pilots launch their copter right next to the vehicle and never have a problem with it.

The self-magnetism of cars is so low, that it is insignificant for the drone's compass.

The fact that you have done that without a problem is not evidence that it is universally not a problem. It depends on the vehicle, as you can easily demonstrate by approaching with a compass. The steel may or may not be magnetized. My three vehicles all change the local magnetic field significantly between 45° and a full 180°, over a range of 0.5 – 1 meter.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Plenty of youtube videos (and posts here) of drones crashing ot developing compass issues being launched from cars.

The engine block contains large chunks of ferrous metal. It does and will distory a magnetic field. Wiring and electrical currents will distory a field.
Even small steel clips can do it.

You might get lucky, move it 3 inches from there and you might not get lucky.

Using a car as a launch platform can and has cost people drones.

Reactions: sar104 and Mavic 57
I agree with sar104 100%. My Honda Pilot magnetically interferes with this Mavic Pro pilot frequently. My wife suggests it's my magnetic personality...but the magnetic influence disappears once I move away from my Honda...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190