DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error

like holy crap. I read all 4 pages of this conversation and it sounds like you guys are on the bridge of 1701-D talking I didn't understand a word but it was fascinating and glad we know what happened.

Reactions: FL AV8R
like holy crap. I read all 4 pages of this conversation and it sounds like you guys are on the bridge of 1701-D talking I didn't understand a word but it was fascinating and glad we know what happened.

It's just an illustration of how something seems complicated when you haven't studied it. This stuff is not particularly complicated - but it looks impressive until you dive into it.

Reactions: FL AV8R
It's just an illustration of how something seems complicated when you haven't studied it. This stuff is not particularly complicated - but it looks impressive until you dive into it.
Speaking of which, @clackey hooked it up and now we can embed these Power BI modules for everyone to see and use.

These are fully interactive so you can play around with the data, hover over to see the raw data, and drill down etc. Click the full screen button at the bottom right of the module to see the data viewer full screen and scroll over the top right of any visual and click the box with the arrow to focus on a single visual.

Slide the slider at the top to adjust the time dimension to hone in on the time frame you are interested in. Click on any data point and it will adjust the other visuals to show only the data that corresponds to the data you have selected. There are a few pages so check em out.

Last edited:
I still think it's a artificially magnetized section of the ship that caused it. Simplest usually is the case. But keep working boys, OP will appreciate any help!

Speaking of which, @clackey hooked it up and now we can embed these Power BI modules for everyone to see and use.

These are fully interactive so you can play around with the data, hover over to see the raw data, and drill down etc. Click the full screen button at the bottom right of the module to see the data viewer full screen and scroll over the top right of any visual and click the box with the arrow to focus on a single visual.

Slide the slider at the top to adjust the time dimension to hone in on the time frame you are interested in. Click on any data point and it will adjust the other visuals to show only the data that corresponds to the data you have selected. There are a few pages so check em out.

I like the interactive capability but I find those graphs difficult to read. The ordinate seems too compressed to be useful - it would be better if it could be expanded and rescaled.

Thats something I have to keep in mind. Avoid large metal structures. Seeing that the compass is usually to blame for these crashes, it's better to avoid getting close.

I like the interactive capability but I find those graphs difficult to read. The ordinate seems too compressed to be useful - it would be better if it could be expanded and rescaled.
They can be resized. First to get the best view go full screen 69769
Then hover over the visual you want to focus on and a box will appear in the upper right corner. Click that to focus in69770
And now you can see it a lot better

BTW, anyone noticed posting graph and opening the page on a mobile device makes it crawl?

I still think it's a artificially magnetized section of the ship that caused it. Simplest usually is the case. But keep working boys, OP will appreciate any help!
Artificially magnetised?
It's steel - that's all that it takes.
A small bolt can do it if it's close enough to the compass.
Try descending toward a steel roof sometime and watch the magic happen.

Yeah... Like running a magnetic field to metal. Its magnetism stays for a period of time. Power boxes or any large voltage component will do it. Maybe he ran into one of those?

Yeah... Like running a magnetic field to metal. Its magnetism stays for a period of time. Power boxes or any large voltage component will do it. Maybe he ran into one of those?
Read post #70 again
There's no need for any "artificially magnetised" anything to explain what the data shows.
Just getting close to 100, 000 tons of steel is all that's required.

Reactions: brett8883
Something odd the front sensors seem to stop working right before he hits the thing

I don't think your visualization software is processing the data properly. This is what OA and pitch look like:

As far as I can see, all systems were behaving nominally.

Op, what has your experience been after that accident? Has it flown perfectly normal? Another thing, any mods beside the guards?

I don't think your visualization software is processing the data properly. This is what OA and pitch look like:

View attachment 69773

As far as I can see, all systems were behaving nominally.
You are right. I didn't account for the .txt log and the .dat log being different lengths which is obvious now. Well nice thing about remote directs is they can changed retroactively. I'll fix it tomorrow but for now I just turned OA off.

I know you have your system and it works for you but as a data guy you might enjoy just messing around power bi. I'm getting this Microsoft certification that requires I learn this so this has been an exercise for me to learn how to use this program while working with data I know and care about but its a free windows program Power BI Desktop—Interactive Reports | Microsoft Power BI anybody can get it and use it. If you publish to web theres no cost for Microsoft to host the database on their server.

Reactions: sar104
You are right. I didn't account for the .txt log and the .dat log being different lengths which is obvious now. Well nice thing about remote directs is they can changed retroactively. I'll fix it tomorrow but for now I just turned OA off.

I know you have your system and it works for you but as a data guy you might enjoy just messing around power bi. I'm getting this Microsoft certification that requires I learn this so this has been an exercise for me to learn how to use this program while working with data I know and care about but its a free windows program Power BI Desktop—Interactive Reports | Microsoft Power BI anybody can get it and use it. If you publish to web theres no cost for Microsoft to host the database on their server.
Sorry, but the posts showing Microsoft BI graphs cause problems for viewing using an IPad that I don’t get with other graphs. Those posts lock up the forum for minutes at a time. Can’t even scroll past them!

Sorry, but the posts showing Microsoft BI graphs cause problems for viewing using an IPad that I don’t get with other graphs. Those posts lock up the forum for minutes at a time. Can’t even scroll past them!

Sorry I think that when the Mavic Pilots system started recognizing what they were and how they work it went back and changed all my past posts that had links to them into interactive reports too so I’ve deleted those links and folded the data sets that weren’t needed any more. Sorry bout that!

Sorry I think that when the Mavic Pilots system started recognizing what they were and how they work it went back and changed all my past posts that had links to them into interactive reports too so I’ve deleted those links and folded the data sets that weren’t needed any more. Sorry bout that!
Thanks! As someone who used data extensively in previous jobs I understand the power of visualisation.

OK guys I have deleted some post from this . Please try staying to the topic and not being rude or arguminitive .
Thanks.

dc

Reactions: Trollistika
This compass error has been the Acheleas heel I think. I wonder if the latest firmware touches it. I think it would be a nightmare of a problem when it suddenly pops up on any sUAV. Op, it's not the first time this has happened. There's a few post out there where the compass error pops up and the YAW gets thrown off making the drone do circles. No one knows why it happens. Being in the I.T field we call these gremlins. Just can't explain them since something they are random. Personally I lean towards artificially created magnetic fields or a actual hardware anomaly directing to a future failure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18