DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compulsory registration and new powers to seize an illegally operated UAV

twoheadlines

Reactions
Is the New Zealand government keeping up with other countries, or trying to get ahead of the pack when it comes to "cracking down" on what proposed new laws would classify as grounds for the seizure of an "illegally operated drone". This item appeared on a Radio New Zealand news feed earlier today:

Personally, I don't have a problem with requirements such as NFZ - as long as 'Fly Safe' authorised access processes are managed fairly and in a timely manner.
Personally, I don't have a problem with compulsory registration; so long as the policing of such a system is managed fairly across all UAV operators, whether they are registered but conducting aerial activity that puts other AGL users at risk, or a "weekend jock" who thinks it will be okay to sneak a vid' of that crowded beach scene because the surf and sand look great while being oblivious to all the rules and laws being broken, then pleading ignorance when facing a potential confiscation of gear!

Can the post be transferred!

Took care of that for you.

If you need anything just PM someone on staff and we can do this type of stuff easily for you.

Allen

Reactions: twoheadlines
Yeah, lots of countries are getting onboard with registration. US had has their scheme up for a while, and it seems most of the EU countries either already have it or are working on it. Hopefully, some good will come of it in that if you have a certificate for Country X then you will only need a formality to get operational in Country Y (the EU's scheme is supposed to work this way), but right now it seems like travelling with a drone is still an exercise in jumping through hoops and taking a chainsaw to red tape. Especially when the country in question doesn't even *try* to make it easy for people who don't speak the language...

Yeah, lots of countries are getting onboard with registration. US had has their scheme up for a while, and it seems most of the EU countries either already have it or are working on it. Hopefully, some good will come of it in that if you have a certificate for Country X then you will only need a formality to get operational in Country Y (the EU's scheme is supposed to work this way), but right now it seems like travelling with a drone is still an exercise in jumping through hoops and taking a chainsaw to red tape. Especially when the country in question doesn't even *try* to make it easy for people who don't speak the language...
We can only hope your thoughts around portability of a registration/license will eventually be seamless across international borders. I probably won't have a formal NZ registration before visiting China again next February, but I would like to think the only problem I have experienced in the past, when leaving China, was having to remove an extra but forgotten M2P Lipo battery from checked luggage, will be the only sort of problem I might experience in the future. Hopefully I won't be stupid enough to put Lipo batteries into my checked luggage again! :rolleyes:

I am guessing here; but formally trained pilots who hold commercial ratings possess a near universally accepted qualification - subject to validation - so why can't the same principles apply to the holders of an internationally uniform UAV registration, with a similar privilege?

Last edited:
A while back I asked the forum if anyone had any experience with flying a drone in Madagascar. Never heard a single answer. I went on line to a commercial agent who registers people for foreign country use for the country and they were unable to help me also. I wrote repeatedly to the aviation authorities in Madagascar ( on line, in English since I do not speak French) and never heard back from them. So now I am going there in a month. My dilemma is, should I pack my little Mavic Air in my camera bag?It's in its case which looks like a lens case, along with all my other camera bodies and lenses. I think the worse case scenario is confiscation at customs.

This page seems to align with some cursory investigation I did for Madagascar a while ago - recreational use outdoors is not allowed, but you can fly indoors. Commercial use is permitted, but you need all the paperwork. If you can track it down, it night be worth taking a look at the form mentioned and running it through Google Translate to help you fill it in and try your luck.

Since private drone ownership is permitted and you don't need a permit to fly indoors I doubt you'd have it confiscated, but it would still be a bit of a roll of the dice. Flying without a permit would obviously be a much bigger roll of the dice.

FWIW, I often transit through countries where permits are required and I won't have one because I don't intend to fly for whatever reason. My planned argument if stopped is to immediately make it clear I know the local rules and only have the drone in my bag because I wanted it in another country on my trip. A smile, a "hello" (ideally in the local tongue), and being courteous also goes a LONG way with making encounters with customs and immigration officials go smoothly in my experience (yes, even the TSA).

Dear Zocalo:

Thank you so much for taking the time to address my issue. Yes, I totally agree with you. Prior to Madagascar, I will be coming in from a photo safari in Zambia and flying into Madagascar from Johannesburg. I actually had planned that very excuse you offered- e.g.: "I was using it in another country and do not plan to use it here." I've tried the official application from my 4 years of French (2 high school, 2 college). But never heard from them. Agree totally with proper behavior with authorities- which I always do as a matter of my own behavior and from years of world travel.

Reactions: geevee
It seems as though every new item is viewed as a control and tax revenue opportunity by the government. They never want freedoms exercised without the ability to somehow control or tax.
First, manditory registration
Second, required licensure
Third, limited use areas
Fourth, confiscation.
Sounds like a familiar refrain doesn’t it?

They want to get out front of the drone issue before 10 million folks care how they are licensed, taxed, and limited.

Hold on to your chair... the next few years could be a bumpy ride.

It seems as though every new item is viewed as a control and tax revenue opportunity by the government. They never want freedoms exercised without the ability to somehow control or tax.
First, manditory registration
Second, required licensure
Third, limited use areas
Fourth, confiscation.
Sounds like a familiar refrain doesn’t it?

They want to get out front of the drone issue before 10 million folks care how they are licensed, taxed, and limited.

Hold on to your chair... the next few years could be a bumpy ride.
".... bumpy ride" I'm wondering whether that will be because of air the turbulence created by all the paperwork flying around from would-be UAV pilots needing to be filled in, to be registered and licensed, or from collective bureaucratic flatulence, as governments the world over try to reign in their errant citizens who dare to enjoy themselves ! :eek:o_O

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr