DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Condensation in the camera

rod goslin

Reactions
Taking my mavic pro out for a spin, after a long lay off ( The UK summer has not been that good, whatever the weather men insist), I was a bit disconcerted to find the returns from the camera were extremely blurred. It was rather like being in a thick fog, rather than a sunny morning. Looking at the camera lense, with a magnifier,an area of condensation exactly centred of the lens proper, covered the inside of the glass lens cover. Turning all off the condensation disappeared, but on switching on again, it soon reformed . Even warming the whole of the drone, did not work. As soon as it was up in the air , the fog returned. Why the camera should have become damp is a puzzle. All the kit is kept in a room in the house and dry. Has anyone any idea How the get the damp out of the camera, and a reason why the condensation collected exactly where it would have the maximum disruption, would be welcome

Reactions: Gazmg
Taking my mavic pro out for a spin, after a long lay off ( The UK summer has not been that good, whatever the weather men insist), I was a bit disconcerted to find the returns from the camera were extremely blurred. It was rather like being in a thick fog, rather than a sunny morning. Looking at the camera lense, with a magnifier,an area of condensation exactly centred of the lens proper, covered the inside of the glass lens cover. Turning all off the condensation disappeared, but on switching on again, it soon reformed . Even warming the whole of the drone, did not work. As soon as it was up in the air , the fog returned. Why the camera should have become damp is a puzzle. All the kit is kept in a room in the house and dry. Has anyone any idea How the get the damp out of the camera, and a reason why the condensation collected exactly where it would have the maximum disruption, would be welcome
Hi Rod - loads of threads here with regards to lens fogging up. Not much you can do really except change the lens - you can get them @ Amazon. I ( along with loads more folks ) tried taking off the lens barrel which is where it contains the moisture & putting it with silica gel / or in a bag of dried rice but it really doesn't solve the issue. Some guys swear that putting it in the sun will get rid of the fogging but as you take off it fogs right back up.
I keep my Mavic in a dry atmosphere/environment as I live in the tropics but flying on a vacation trip to Scotland last year in foggy weather seemed to have led to the fogging.
I ended up buying a new camera lens & it solved the problem
Good luck

I wouldn’t bother with rice, all you’ll do is introduce dust. Fresh or freshly dried silica gel is what is needed. Best to use is indicating silica gel. A colour change shows when it’s wet and you can dry it out in a warm electric oven.
Best way to combat moisture is constant use and a few precautions. Try to let the drone cool down after use in a dry atmosphere, inside a sealed bag with dry silica gel would be best. The same when moving between temperatures, ie. from warm to cold and cold to warm. Seal in a bag until the drone is the same temperature as it’s surroundings.

For the moment, I've sealed the whole thing inside a poly bag with a re-vitalised silica gel drying canister. I'll give it a day or so inside the bag, then try again. It's odd that the condensation only appears when the Mavic is powered on, and vanishes when the power is turned off. Perhaps something in the camera warms up, driving the moisture out to condense on the glass immediately in front of the lens assembly. Pity there seems no way of removing the cover glass to allow the damp to get out.

Reactions: Gazmg
For the moment, I've sealed the whole thing inside a poly bag with a re-vitalised silica gel drying canister. I'll give it a day or so inside the bag, then try again. It's odd that the condensation only appears when the Mavic is powered on, and vanishes when the power is turned off. Perhaps something in the camera warms up, driving the moisture out to condense on the glass immediately in front of the lens assembly. Pity there seems no way of removing the cover glass to allow the damp to get out.
Before I ended up changing the lens I did actually break the glass with a center punch but unfortunately dust from the broken glass got inside the sensor & although in theory it worked (as I have filters to cover the open lens) in practice if I were to do it again I would take the lens off & tap the glass with the lens facing DOWN! carefully take the glass away & use an ND filter.
Hope it doesn't come to that & the condensation clears for you - I still don't understand how the lens gets moisture in it in the 1st place because that little sucka is a real ***** to get off & seems pretty well sealed against the elements!

The dessicant can seems to have worked. Taking it out for the local circuit, no fogginess was seen.I'll order a couple of dessicant packs, from Amazon and slip one into the Mavic's carry case. I suppose it's the change of barometric pressure when ascending and descending that drives damp air into the camera. Later there's no real change in pressure, so the damp tends to stay inside.. It's a bit of a relief that it's something fairly simple. I was getting worried about camera problems, and cost

Cheers

Great, glad that worked. Don’t forget to reactivate (dry) the silica gel regularly. Even in a sealed container it can absorb enough moisture to stop working.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone