Condensation inside lens ?

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by Robin, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

Just watched a youtube review.

Said he had condensation on inside of lens, seems odd, never had that with any other drone.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you have a link to the review?

3. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

It was a few minutes in.

4. TheLightSpeed!

TheLightSpeed! Well-Known Member

He's an idiot. Looks like he doesn't know how to work the camera settings

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

eroeeroe likes this.
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aha.. That video.

He did not focus (forgot to tap).

mstampfli and eroeeroe like this.
  6. Anthony

Anthony Well-Known Member

Also odd that when he talks about this in the "Review" and I use that word loosely ..... he didn't show the gopro flying in the same location ....

7. m0j0

m0j0 Well-Known Member

He was leaning GoPro which there is no way I would go that way. It's just unstable. No thanks

8. chippie

chippie Well-Known Member

Most biased review I have seen to date. Supposedly a professional who clearly had no idea about what he was using!

9. JakeS

JakeS Well-Known Member

Camera settings aren't the only thing he didn't know how to work. He states that Karma has orbit mode and Mavic can do that just not automatically. That statement shows he didn't dig very deep into what Mavic can do...

10. LuPo

LuPo Member

There is note about condensation in review below as well (09:05 min)

11. CAPTAINDRONE

CAPTAINDRONE Well-Known Member

I think the numpty left the protective dome on over the lens early in the morning.

12. Nano559

Nano559 New Member

There is another video on YouTube that actually shows condensation within the lens. I have actually been having trouble with my drone with that exact issue. Also the vision sensor keeps giving me errors from time to time.

13. Gordon Styles

Gordon Styles New Member

I bought the Mavic Pro in Zhongshan China 4 weeks ago. It is excellent. This morning was a particularly cold morning for Zhongshan, about 10C. I took the drone up and wondered why everything looked foggy. I brought the drone down and noticed condensation on the lens. I wiped the outside of the lens and the condensation was still visible right at the centre of the lens on the inside. I am a 52 year-old highly experienced engineer in the product development field; so as a professional in that field I can confirm that this really is an issue. I need to know how to fix the problem. If there is no fix, I will take the unit back to the shop and ask them to replace it. Hope someone can help.

14. Flawless

Flawless Well-Known Member

If you had the Mavic inside where it was warm, and immediately took it outside, that's why condensation formed. In future, leave it in a cold place, in the bag or your padded case of choice (or wrapped in a towel) so that it will change temperature slowly (the bag contains foam padding, and will insulate it, allowing a less abrupt change). May take an hour or two, depending on how warm it was inside.

To fix it, you'll want a large plastic ziplock bag and some Silica gel packs (or loose silica gel granules, but wrap the mavic in paper towel first).

Don't put it anywhere too warm, and leave it for at least a day (preferably two). Take it out, and remember not to subject it to any drastic temperature changes.

Slayerstwin likes this.
  15. Slayerstwin

Slayerstwin Well-Known Member

She's cute nice a$$ too

16. Gordon Styles

Gordon Styles New Member

Thank you for the response. I could understand this if the unit is not fully sealed, but if it is sealed, and has dry air inside, why then would it condensate? I assume therefore that the unit is not properly sealed. Sealed or otherwise: The advice about acclimatization is good. I will make sure I keep the unit stored outside the main house always, but in a sealed bag with silica packs. That way it is dry, but always at the outside temperature. I can see the logic in that. Good idea.

17. Flawless

Flawless Well-Known Member

It may be unintentionally unsealed - the camera should be a sealed unit as far as I'm aware, but shipping or a defect in manufacturing may have resulted in it not being correctly sealed.

It may also be sealed but through a manufacturing error still contain a tiny amount of moisture. Regardless, I'd contact DJI and ask if it's supposed to be a sealed unit. If the answer is yes, return it.

Remember that glass will contract and expand at a different rate to plastic and metal, such that if it is exposed to a drastic change in temperature it can still cause a seal to be breached (even momentarily).

18. AlanTheBeast

AlanTheBeast Well-Known Member

Food dehydrator at 60-65°C for 12 hours should dry it out.

dewster and Bunny Too like this.
  19. AlanTheBeast

AlanTheBeast Well-Known Member

A camera with moving parts (such as the roll compensation and portrait mode) is probably not airtight so moist air could get in and condense. I don't know that to be fact - call it a hunch.

20. ZenQuest

ZenQuest Member

I have been having this problem with fog on the inside of the lens. I just took the mavic to the China Shenzhen repair centre and they said it's a known manufacturing fault. They will replace the mavic at no cost here in China. So maybe the best thing is just to take it back to DJI.