DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused on whether I can fly or not?

tmartin89

Reactions
I live within 5 miles of an airport but on Airmap when I zoom in to my house it says no advisories? I also have the Drone Buddy app and it says I am in a no fly zone. I haven’t even bought a drone yet but these are things I want to know before I buy.

The airspace that surrounds your airport could be considered "Class E." It is controlled when you get to 700 ft. and up or 1,200 ft. and up, depending on which airport it is. If you let us know what airport it is, someone can check the sectionals for you.

Also have a look at the geo zone map here to determine whether you are in an authorization zone (requires additional steps to fly) or restricted zone (cannot fly without custom unlock): Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI.

Currently if you are flying under recreational rules you need to notify any airports within 5 miles before flying. They will just want to know your rough location and anticipated maximum altitude.

The airspace that surrounds your airport could be considered "Class E." It is controlled when you get to 700 ft. and up or 1,200 ft. and up, depending on which airport it is. If you let us know what airport it is, someone can check the sectionals for you.

Also have a look at the geo zone map here to determine whether you are in an authorization zone (requires additional steps to fly) or restricted zone (cannot fly without custom unlock): Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI.

See, this is where I get confused. On the DJI map it shows sectionals, whereas as the other apps like Airmap show a radius for every airport. Is it safe to just follow the DJI Go App?

I've attached a picture of roughly my location.

IMG_3399.jpeg

AirNav: KMDD - Midland Airpark

If it were me I would submit a planned flight with either AirMap or through LANCC. KMDD does not have a tower, so the best FAA to call would be Ft Worth. And use common sense. Dont fly within those approach and departure paths.

Reactions: Thomas B
Use AirMap to formally submit a flight request via LAANC. Answer is official, and returned in seconds. It will even show temporary restrictions like police actions, special events, etc. Works great. After Kittyhawk finishes the revamp/incorporation of B4UFly there will be another way to do it.

Why doesn't DJI show a radius as oppose to the flight paths? The airport isn't listed on the LAANC list of airports.

Use AirMap to formally submit a flight request via LAANC. Answer is official, and returned in seconds. It will even show temporary restrictions like police actions, special events, etc. Works great. After Kittyhawk finishes the revamp/incorporation of B4UFly there will be another way to do it.

He can't submit via LAANC unless he's flying under Part 107 with a Part 107 remote pilot certificate. The currently enforced regulations require him to call the tower/airport operator and notify them of the upcoming flight.

Why doesn't DJI show a radius as oppose to the flight paths? The airport isn't listed on the LAANC list of airports.

DJI is concerned about actual safety to flight paths and doesn't necessarily show legal airspace. That's why they updated their map to show extended paths coming off each runway.

Reactions: Thomas B
On AirMap I get no advisories. Would I still need to contact the airport? It's a regional airport.

You appear to be about 3 miles from Midland Airpark, and comfortably in Class G airspace. Flying recreationally, under the current FAA regulations, you just need to notify the airport operator, since it is has no tower. Under the upcoming new regulations that requirement will go away since recreational flights will also be regulated by airspace, not proximity to airports.

The DJI GO app has already (prematurely) ditched the 5 mile notification requirement circle in favor of somewhat arbitrary, but possible sensible, warning zones on the runway extended centerlines, but those are not based in current US regulation.

1552659714455.jpeg

Reactions: cyeung and Thomas B
On AirMap I get no advisories. Would I still need to contact the airport? It's a regional airport.

If you are flying for fun (aka, Section 336 / recreational flight), and if the airport is within 5 miles of your flight location, you are legally required to contact them and notify them (you aren't actually asking for permission, just giving them a notification). If you have AirMap set to Recreational flight mode, it should display a list of airports within 5 miles of you.

This process will change soon after the FAA implements the new law that passed last fall. But for now, those are the rules.

If you are flying for fun (aka, Section 336 / recreational flight), and if the airport is within 5 miles of your flight location, you are legally required to contact them and notify them (you aren't actually asking for permission, just giving them a notification). If you have AirMap set to Recreational flight mode, it should display a list of airports within 5 miles of you.

This process will change soon after the FAA implements the new law that passed last fall. But for now, those are the rules.

I have AIrMap on recreational, I didn't have the optional AirMap recommended guidelines checked, only the required.

It seems the advisory is yellow on AirMap.

I have AIrMap on recreational, I didn't have the optional AirMap recommended guidelines checked, only the required.

I think AirMap might have jumped the gun and implemented the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 changes in their app too early, so they don't correctly list all of the airports within 5 miles of you now when you are in "Fly for fun" mode. You can download the FAA's B4UFLY app which should actually list the nearby airports.

Another question. What if there are 2 airports within 5 miles, do I need to call both and notify them?

Flying recreational he must notify any airports within a 5 mile radius of his flight. If the airport does not have a tower, he must notify the airport manager.

He can't submit a flight plan since he does not have a part 107 or contact any tower about flight authorization.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000