DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Connecticut

It depends on the airport. You living in Wethersfield are most likely in the class D airspace of Brainard Airport. Unless you are flying commercially, all you have to do is notify the airport, an email would suffice. You can also call the airport manager, his number is publicly posted online. You probably won't get him on the phone, but you could leave a voicemail. The airspace surrounding Bradley does not affect you. As always, common sense prevails.

I don't think there is an advantage at this point. In the future there may be an advantage though. It is my hope that the FAA will grant 107 lic. holders more freedom.

Danbury flyer.. It sucks there are so many airports (er landing strips), not to mention the heliports around this area! What's a responsible flyer to do? Seems like everywhere I look it's restricted airspace on some level. But I'm trying to follow the rules...

Any advantage (as a hobby flyer) to getting the 107 license?

Well, the main one for a hobbyist with a Part 107 who is flying for non-commercial purposes would be that you wouldn't be subject to the "5-Mile" rule. And, BTW, that five miles is measured between the center of the airport field (not the edge of its airspace) and the drone's location.

This assumes that you wouldn't be entering the airport's airspace extents.

Theo

Well, the main one for a hobbyist with a Part 107 who is flying for non-commercial purposes would be that you wouldn't be subject to the "5-Mile" rule. And, BTW, that five miles is measured between the center of the airport field (not the edge of its airspace) and the drone's location.

This assumes that you wouldn't be entering the airport's airspace extents.

Theo

Would I still have to contact the tower letting them know I intend to fly within the 5-mile radius (not on the airport proper of course)? I had started another thread on this very topic, but thanks for answering it here.

Would I still have to contact the tower letting them know I intend to fly within the 5-mile radius (not on the airport proper of course)? I had started another thread on this very topic, but thanks for answering it here.
In holding a Part 107 certificate, it is acknowledged that you are completely aware of all the safety considerations and best practices for proper sUAS operations. Therefore, as a Part 107 pilot, the only time you would need permission for operations near an airport would be if those operations involve the sUAS crossing into the airport's airspace extents.

As a Part 107 pilot, if you DO plan to enter the airport's airspace extents, Section 107.41 advises:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

In this case, "prior authorization" comes in the form of a waiver (Certificate of Waiver) to that specific CFR Section. Waiver applications are made to the FAA and may or may not be granted based on a number of airport operations factors and on the merits of your proposed plan for safe sUAS operations under the waiver status.

Subpart D—Waivers

§107.200 Waiver policy and requirements.
(a) The Administrator may issue a certificate of waiver authorizing a deviation from any regulation specified in §107.205 if the Administrator finds that a proposed small UAS operation can safely be conducted under the terms of that certificate of waiver.

(b) A request for a certificate of waiver must contain a complete description of the proposed operation and justification that establishes that the operation can safely be conducted under the terms of a certificate of waiver.

(c) The Administrator may prescribe additional limitations that the Administrator considers necessary.

(d) A person who receives a certificate of waiver issued under this section:

(1) May deviate from the regulations of this part to the extent specified in the certificate of waiver; and

(2) Must comply with any conditions or limitations that are specified in the certificate of waiver.

To summarize:
  1. If you are a Part 101/AMA pilot NOT holding a Part 107 Certificate, you must notify the tower of any controlled airport whose geographical center is located within 5 statute miles of your nearest sUAS flight extents. Crossing into the airport's airspace extents is NOT allowed.

2. If you are a Part 107 certified pilot, you DO NOT need to notify the tower. In addition, a Part 107 pilot *may* be allowed to conduct operations that cross into the airport's airspace extents, but only if prior written approval has be granted in the form of a waiver to Section 107.41.
For references to other Part 101 and Part 107 regulations, go to the electronic CFR HERE. IMHO, it's a handy site to bookmark on the device you use for sUAS flight.

Theo

So I tried to do a shoot to cover my sister's wedding last Saturday and on reviewing the footage, was kinda shocked at how bad my skill was as a videographer!

If anyone is interested, how bout a meet up somewhere and learn some flying skills from each other

That'll be awesome! I'm in orange.

Danbury flyer.. It sucks there are so many airports (er landing strips), not to mention the heliports around this area! What's a responsible flyer to do? Seems like everywhere I look it's restricted airspace on some level. But I'm trying to follow the rules...

I fly Danbury at the beach across from the PAL. I get a message that I am in an area but it says fly with caution. I stay under the 400 foot limit and it seems to be fine. Planes are well above 400 feet at that radius from the airport.

We can hook up and fly at the beach if interested. Off season there is nobody there. Nice open space.

Mike

I fly Danbury at the beach across from the PAL. I get a message that I am in an area but it says fly with caution. I stay under the 400 foot limit and it seems to be fine. Planes are well above 400 feet at that radius from the airport.

We can hook up and fly at the beach if interested. Off season there is nobody there. Nice open space.

Mike
Hey Mike,

For now I'd prefer to stay outside the 5 mile radius of the airport, I'm going to go for Part 107 Certification soon to give me a lot more freedom around town. And the heliports around here are another matter altogether!

Ruck

Hey Mike,

For now I'd prefer to stay outside the 5 mile radius of the airport, I'm going to go for Part 107 Certification soon to give me a lot more freedom around town. And the heliports around here are another matter altogether!

Ruck

Part 107 does not give you authorization to fly in controlled airspace, what was written above is not accurate.

Part 107 does not give you authorization to fly in controlled airspace, what was written above is not accurate.

Not sure to which post you are referring. I don't believe I indicated that a Part 107 certificate allows you to fly in controlled airspace. However, what I specifically indicated is that In the case of a Part 107 pilot, they can apply to the FAA for a waiver to the airspace regulation (107.41) for a particular operation. Of course, approval is not guaranteed and all safety contingencies should be a part of the proposed waiver.

Sorry for any confusion,

Theo

Mine is to arrive Tuesday. Hoping everything is okay. I am heading up to White Mountains next weekend. Hoping to get some good shots of Flume Gorge and Kancamanagus Hwy.

Is there an ETA when should get your replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Oz24, I am new Mavic owner and planning on taking it on a motorcycle trip to the Kank as well. Where about is Flume Gorge? Did you get some great shots?

So I went over to walnut Beach yesterday in milford and flew over to Charles Island. Great flight! Farthest I've been with my new Mavic! She was awesome.

So I went over to walnut Beach yesterday in milford and flew over to Charles Island. Great flight! Farthest I've been with my new Mavic! She was awesome.

My buddy has a beach house there, and I was invited down yesterday. Would of been nice to run into you and your Mavic. I stayed home unfortunately.

Reactions: Montypaks
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost