DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

continuation of Micro USB........ thread

Turn11

Reactions
I am creating a new thread but it is a continuation of Micro USB........ thread.

I ordered a magnetic charging / data transfer cable to try. It contains a micro USB and an IOS tip and it fits securely in the RC. The magnet on the charging cable is strong. I had been worried the insert would protrude too far and become a snag hazard but at first glance it appears to be OK. Time will tell but so far it is a keeper.

cable, tip and storage for spares.jpg

End vies.jpg
Back view.jpg

I have ordered the three-pack that @dirkclod had described and will use it on my other RCs. Thanks for the listing Dirk

Reactions: dirkclod
I am creating a new thread but it is a continuation of Micro USB........ thread.

I ordered a magnetic charging / data transfer cable to try. It contains a micro USB and an IOS tip and it fits securely in the RC. The magnet on the charging cable is strong. I had been worried the insert would protrude too far and become a snag hazard but at first glance it appears to be OK. Time will tell but so far it is a keeper.

View attachment 52940

View attachment 52941
View attachment 52942

I have ordered the three-pack that @dirkclod had described and will use it on my other RCs. Thanks for the listing Dirk
Do you use the micro-USB on the side of the controller only for charging? and connect your phone/tablet to the USB 2.0 in the base of the controller?? - or use the side connection for both??

YES I only use the side port to charge. The micro USB is awfully fragile and if you insert the cable upside down it is too easy to break the tab. The intent of using the magnetic tip is to minimize the possibility of breaking the tab. Put it in and leave it in.
Additionally it is square and easy to mistakenly insert the cable wrong. IMHO

Last edited:
and isnt then risk of compass error when the strong magnet is near drone in the backpack?

..and isnt then risk of compass error when the strong magnet is near drone in the backpack?

I had both the magnetic cable and the dongle in the backpack for a week before I flew the M2P. I too was worried about the magnetic interference but it was unnecessary as there was no effect on the compass. It’s a great solution for the fragile port so no worries.

KB

Reactions: Turn11
and isnt then risk of compass error when the strong magnet is near drone in the backpack?

IMHO what @kilomikebravo said probably pretty close to correct. The magnet is in the cable end and I would not be concerned as long as it wasn't stored against the AC.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited:
I ordered to try out with extra connectors. Works so well I ordered more cables for my car.

Don't understand how you can have magnetic interference when it is plugged into the controller, not the drone

IMHO what @kilomikebravo said probably pretty close to correct. The magnet is in the cable end and I would not be concerned as long as it wasn't stored against the AC.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Are there really some of these magnetic cables where the magnet is only in the cable and not in the tip. I just purchased these from Amazon but both the cable and the tip are magnetic.

Don't understand how you can have magnetic interference when it is plugged into the controller, not the drone
The control sticks do work using a magnetic system too, however it doesn't seem to be affected and as pointed out the magnet is on the end of lead so not normally attached when you are using it.

Has anyone actually found a rectangular micro usb charging lead that fits the remote properly? I’ve been searching on amazon but they all seem to be the same standard shape. I’m presuming DJI couldn’t find any either as all mine that came with the m2p or the same as all the others

It was pointed out that Micro-USB-A is rectangular. You'll rarely find a host (PC, etc) with micro USB so you don't come across Micro-A very often.
However side port does operate as A, same as the bottom one (full size A) so it is rectangular.

Apparently female Micro USB-A can accommodate male Micro USB-B.

Don't know why it's square it is. No need to beat a dead horse.

Get a data/charging magnetic tip cable, see the User Manual on how to install correctly, put the tip in and never take it out.

Use the bottom USB port to fly.

Don’t misunderstand, I’ve been doing just that, just wondered if anyone had ever actually seen a rectangular micro usb that would fit it

I have a universal USB cable kit that has adapters that fit on either end of the cable. The kit does come with a make micro-A that is rectangular. Also has micro-B in the more familiar shape.

Tried to upload photos of the adapter, said I needed valid forum ID. How could I make this post if I didn't have a valid ID?

Last edited:
Hmmm. Looking at the photo does not detail the innards! (g) While symmetrically rectangular, it appears that it might still have an orientation that has to be correct or one could still mash the RC end of things???? Can it be inserted in either position (like a c has no up or down - insert either way)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom