DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Controlled crash" landing

Some could care less, but "drifting" slightly off in the world of Droning can cause serious problems and it is probably a good thing that DJI Go recognizes the problem and prevents you from using those functions and thus avoiding an unwanted consequence of a "drifting", or not 100% GPS lock with the controller.
But sometimes it would not matter at all, so I wish they could give me an informed choice.

I am in Norway, so no AT&T. We have very good 4G coverage. (You americans would be envious if you saw our speeds and prices. :) )

Except for when this sudden loss happened, I consistently have full GPS bars and 17-19 satellites showing on the controller. The iPhone positioning works perfect with any other app, but seems to always be too weak for DJI's Follow Me mode. Which makes the function rather useless, IMO.
ThorH, it makes me wonder if your phone also uses the Intel Modem that is used in the AT&T iPhones. Would be very interesting to find out.

I am in Norway, so no AT&T. We have very good 4G coverage. (You americans would be envious if you saw our speeds and prices. :) )

Except for when this sudden loss happened, I consistently have full GPS bars and 17-19 satellites showing on the controller. The iPhone positioning works perfect with any other app, but seems to always be too weak for DJI's Follow Me mode. Which makes the function rather useless, IMO.
I have a used iPhone 6S Plus that I now use for my dedicated Mavic Pro use, and Follow Me mode works every time without issue.

except for the fact that smartphones do use cell connection to help get a GPS Lock

?????

Funniest thing I have read this morning.

Is there a way to to see that?
There is no way that I know of to see it directly. You may be able to look at your model number and then look on the internet and see if it is the same as the AT&T model number. I know for the US, they only have about three models, but I am not sure about international markets. If it helps, the model of my iPhone 7 on AT&T is MN9N2LL/A. Since yours is a non-US phone, not sure if that will tell us much.

except for the fact that smartphones do use cell connection to help get a GPS Lock

?????

Funniest thing I have read this morning.
Do some studying..... smartphones are constantly pinging the nearby cell towers and using triangulation, and therefore know your approximate location. When you open an app that uses the GPS module, the phone already knows pretty closely where you are and this aids the GPS in knowing what satellites to look for and acquiring a GPS lock very quick.

I pay $30/month for unlimited LTE coverage per month. I use around 7-15GB per month.

Using the cell towers has nothing to do with GPS lock.
Nothing????? This is from an article in GPS World:

GPS as used in smartphones is basically a way to speed this up--instead of just GPS satellites sending you their "GPS almanac and ephemeris", your cell company gets it from their OWN (continuously running) GPS receivers--and transmits this to your phone based on what cell you're closest to.

In essence, your local cell tower says "OK, here's the GPS satellites I'm seeing, here's my list of the ephemeris and almanac tables". And usually cells for cell towers are fairly small, so it's reliable enough that your smartphone can use this as a "kick start" to find those satellites and get a fix faster.

New member here. Just adding I live in Australia and have never been able to connect to "follow me mode" as weak signal flashes on the screen.. I phone 7 bought new from Apple in Australia...not AT&T... Active track & everything else works well... I took it to New Zealand and there are many drone shots here...even following my motorcycle...
I would like to use Follow me as I can get more altitude...
See it here in first part of video....
. Parott Bebop 2 following me in Romania with third party app on wifi following my phone on my handlebars .
Any suggestions..?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25