DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller intermittently not connecting to tablet - any suggestions?

Yepyep

Reactions
Hi folks, I have a new MA2 and am having intermittent issues with the DYI Fly app saying the controller is not connected to the tablet. About half the time everything connects fine and I get in a couple good flights. The other half the time it says that the controller is not connected at all and I try unplugging and replugging, turning off and turning on, etc. many times with no luck and can't get it connected to fly. I'm hoping you wise people have a few good thoughts or suggestions to share.

Specifically:
* Is the DYI Fly app buggy or sensitive to which stage of the app is open when you connect or the particular order in which you turn devices on connect them?

* I am using an Amazon Basics USB-C 3.1 cable that is 1ft long ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7S91ZN ) instead of the DJI cable so that it can reach the tablet's usb-c port. (The plastic casing at the head is a little thicker than the DJI cable, so I have to shove it in pretty well.) Any thoughts on whether this might be an issue with a faulty cable, even thought it does work part of the time?

* Does anyone know which version of USB-C that DJI cable is (e.g., 2.0, 3.1, etc.), so that I can try to match that if I buy another cable? Does anyone have recommendations for cables that have a head with a similar thickness as the DJI cable?

* I am using a tablet not on the DJI Fly app's supported list of devices (installed via the android apk file; I didn't know the the DJI Fly app was so limited when I got the tablet). When the controller does connect to the tablet, the drone flies fine without lag or any other issues. (Its a Lenovo Tab 4 plus 10" tablet - Amazon.com : Lenovo Tab 4 Plus (WiFi+4G LTE) 10" Android Tablet, 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon, 2.0GHz, 32GB Storage, 2GB RAM, Black, ZA2X0000US (Renewed) : Computers & Accessories ). Could the intermittent connectivity issue be from using a tablet not on the supported devices list?

Thank for your insights!

Hi folks, I have a new MA2 and am having intermittent issues with the DYI Fly app saying the controller is not connected to the tablet. About half the time everything connects fine and I get in a couple good flights. The other half the time it says that the controller is not connected at all and I try unplugging and replugging, turning off and turning on, etc. many times with no luck and can't get it connected to fly. I'm hoping you wise people have a few good thoughts or suggestions to share.

Specifically:
* Is the DYI Fly app buggy or sensitive to which stage of the app is open when you connect or the particular order in which you turn devices on connect them?

* I am using an Amazon Basics USB-C 3.1 cable that is 1ft long ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7S91ZN ) instead of the DJI cable so that it can reach the tablet's usb-c port. (The plastic casing at the head is a little thicker than the DJI cable, so I have to shove it in pretty well.) Any thoughts on whether this might be an issue with a faulty cable, even thought it does work part of the time?

* Does anyone know which version of USB-C that DJI cable is (e.g., 2.0, 3.1, etc.), so that I can try to match that if I buy another cable? Does anyone have recommendations for cables that have a head with a similar thickness as the DJI cable?

* I am using a tablet not on the DJI Fly app's supported list of devices (installed via the android apk file; I didn't know the the DJI Fly app was so limited when I got the tablet). When the controller does connect to the tablet, the drone flies fine without lag or any other issues. (Its a Lenovo Tab 4 plus 10" tablet - Amazon.com : Lenovo Tab 4 Plus (WiFi+4G LTE) 10" Android Tablet, 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon, 2.0GHz, 32GB Storage, 2GB RAM, Black, ZA2X0000US (Renewed) : Computers & Accessories ). Could the intermittent connectivity issue be from using a tablet not on the supported devices list?

Thank for your insights!
It's not the FLY app. To test your cable, replace it with the shorter included stock USB-C to USB-C cable and just rest the tablet on a table next to the RC for a short test flight. Any use of a device not on the list of DJI supported devices is at your own risk. It has not been tested by DJI and is likely to be unreliable. Use a phone that is supported with a stock cable and go from there with any upgrades.

Reactions: Yepyep
I think your tablet is micro usb, it seems that micro usb with the controller is extremely finicky. I have a micro usb tablet and the stock cable didn't work, other cables also display connectivity issues. Best result I've had with a micro usb cable is it works as long as you never pull out the cable. if you lose connection you have to restart the controller.

I think your tablet is micro usb, it seems that micro usb with the controller is extremely finicky. I have a micro usb tablet and the stock cable didn't work, other cables also display connectivity issues. Best result I've had with a micro usb cable is it works as long as you never pull out the cable. if you lose connection you have to restart the controller.
Restarting the controller is not a wise idea when in flight. The app may crash, and the tablet may disconnect, but you still have full control of the aircraft without the app and without the tablet through the controller. Best to first try rebooting the app and/or the device, but not the controller, which will immediately initiate RTH, and hopefully RTH was set correctly for the environment and to the proper location!

Reactions: dawgpilot
Restarting the controller is not a wise idea when in flight. The app may crash, and the tablet may disconnect, but you still have full control of the aircraft without the app and without the tablet through the controller. Best to first try rebooting the app and/or the device, but not the controller, which will immediately initiate RTH, and hopefully RTH was set correctly for the environment and to the proper location!
Sorry, I was by no means recommending that you restart the controller in flight, just stating that that(in my case) is the only way to get the app to reconnect to the controller. I haven't tested with new version of app yet. Because of this I have chosen to only fly with usb-c devices up til now

Sorry, I was by no means recommending that you restart the controller in flight, just stating that that(in my case) is the only way to get the app to reconnect to the controller. I haven't tested with new version of app yet. Because of this I have chosen to only fly with usb-c devices up til now
Better practice would be to relaunch the app, or reboot the tablet, which should have the same effect as rebooting the controller, without needing to reboot the controller. The least invasive methods should be tried first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54