DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller lanyard

I can think of a couple. One, if it slips, you don't have to worry about it hitting the ground and being damaged. Two, If you need to pick up something you can just let it hang.

For larger and heavier remotes like the RC Pro and original Smart Controller, I recommend something like this just so you can get and keep a better grip. It will offer some, maybe tiny bit of protection should you drop it and maybe save you from small dents or scratches. You don't have to use the lanyard every time but it's there if you need it:

I always use a lanyard for all my flights unless I forget it. With the mini and and an ipad, the air2 with Rcn1 and now the Mini3 pro. I like the single attachment so if 1 end comes loose it can’t fall. Not in the way at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Is there any point or benefit of having a lanyard for the drone controller?

I hand launch / land my MA2.

Having a lanyard helps when doing this.

I always use a lanyard.
Years ago I was flying my RC airplanes ( back then I thought lanyards looked dumb) and my radio slipped from my hands creating an out of control gasser, hurtling full speed towards the flight line. Well after picking up the pieces and throwing them in the garbage bag, I decided those lanyards looked way better on me.

They would, but I’m just wondering if the get in the way or are a Pain
I use lanyards on my RC 2 and RC Pro controllers. No, they have never gotten in the way. It prevents me ever from having to lay my controller down in wet grass, sand, molten lava, etc. I usually remove the lanyard before putting the controller back in the case, depending on how tight the case is. Using the Love Handles mentioned by a member above changes the size and shape of your controller and you would have to drastically alter any preformed foam interior to a hard case. A friend with severe arthritis in his hands swears by his "Love Handles" but he can't fit his controller in his hard case, so I guess I'd characterize that as "getting in the way?"
It is really nice to be able to just let go of the controller when you need both hands though.

I use lanyards on my RC 2 and RC Pro controllers. No, they have never gotten in the way. It prevents me ever from having to lay my controller down in wet grass, sand, molten lava, etc. I usually remove the lanyard before putting the controller back in the case, depending on how tight the case is. Using the Love Handles mentioned by a member above changes the size and shape of your controller and you would have to drastically alter any preformed foam interior to a hard case. A friend with severe arthritis in his hands swears by his "Love Handles" but he can't fit his controller in his hard case, so I guess I'd characterize that as "getting in the way?"
It is really nice to be able to just let go of the controller when you need both hands though.
It is true the love handles will not permit the RC Pro to fit in cases that have cutouts so you'll need to employ your creative cutting skills since it isn't practical to take the love handles on/off. Fortunately for me, I only use bags and backpacks and for the very few times I do use a hard case (flying), the RC Pro gets it own hard case and it's spot is filled with other drone accessories. Not trying to promote the item but it really does change the feel, handling, and grip of the smart controller. Eventually the drone has to come off the lanyard and lay down somewhere so it's protected. I'm a fan as well!

A good source for lanyards is a used camera store. Typically they will have a rack full to choose from and usually at a fair price.

And I also echo many of the positive reasons for using a lanyard and I am using one with my RC 2 controller.

I use a lanyard with the DJI RC and my Mini 3 Pro. I like that I can grab the controller out of the bag and sling it round my neck, then grab the drone and walk to my launch point unfolding the drone with both hands without having to worry about the controller. And I agree with the other posters that having the lanyard makes it easier to operate the controller one-handed so that I can hand launch and recover the drone.

I looked for a lanyard with D-rings that fold down flat against the side of the controller so they don't take up quite as much room in my bag.

Reactions: MA2 317
For your FPV drone, you'll need to have your remote controller on a lanyard if you want to fly legally and be able to remove your goggles frequently and often to maintain the required VLOS. It's not easy to pull down the goggles with one hand and while the goggles are on, it's not easy to set down your remote controller on a spot which you cannot see because you are wearing googles. For the most part....

Reactions: mereflyer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147