DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller not charging phone

srbell

Reactions
Try fly a Mavic air 2 all day in -5 to 0c. Good luck. The controller won’t charge the phone (iphone xs). I heard earlier controllers weren’t compatible with iOS devices, but the air 2 was. So in the app, phone charging selected, good so far. Phone beeps and the lightning icon shows up, it must be charging. But it’s not. Even though the phone says it’s charging, the battery keeps depleting.

Condsider your self lucky, many Android users would love to be able to switch charging off but can not. Besides if you read the numerous "controller charging the phone" threads many mention that iphones and maybe i-tablets do not draw a charging current from the controller.

Reactions: In The Zone and Bop
Try fly a Mavic air 2 all day in -5 to 0c. Good luck. The controller won’t charge the phone (iphone xs). I heard earlier controllers weren’t compatible with iOS devices, but the air 2 was. So in the app, phone charging selected, good so far. Phone beeps and the lightning icon shows up, it must be charging. But it’s not. Even though the phone says it’s charging, the battery keeps depleting.
iPhones have worked with DJI drones for a few years now.
Be glad... android users complain of the controller getting depleted due to charging their phone.

Reactions: Bop
I use the S20Ultra so I can't speak for iOS but ...

When my phone is plugged in to the controller and "charging" I actually don't gain any battery life, it just stops my battery from depleting.

Flying without it, my phone loses battery faster than my drone lol

Reactions: Ben Anderson
I use an iPhone 7S with the MA2 and standard controller. The “phone charging” works fine for me.
Besides my Iphone XS, I also tried a 6S with the same result. It says it's charging, but it's not lol. Must be the controller or the lightning to usb C cable. Odd that the phone would show charging in either case.

I just got the new dji mini 2; i am on andriod 10. But the app is not detecting the RC controller.
Neither non its charging.
i have the error : RC not connected to mobile phone
I tried it on multiple mobile phones (andriod 10/11) and its just have the same error. Checked that USB debugging is on and mobile was rebooted. I have also tried using different cable.

Does it means I have a faulty remote controller ? Or if there is anyways to fix this ?
any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Controllers only put out 500mA, the minimum USB standards require. Not much different than plugging in your phone to a standard USB port on your PC/laptop.

A phone running the Go/Fly app is using a lot more current than that, so you're only maintaining or slowing down the depletion of the phone battery. You're also depleting the controller battery which for the original style remotes, there's not much to spare.

Are they paired?
That wouldn't explain why the USB isn't working.
At the very least power should be detected where phone claims slow charge. Faulty cable or USB port on RC.
Note that I seem to recall that one of the ports is a dummy, there only to store the opposite end of the short C cable.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I just got the new dji mini 2; i am on andriod 10. But the app is not detecting the RC controller.
Neither non its charging.
I tried it on multiple mobile phones (andriod 10/11) and its just have the same error. Checked that USB debugging is on and mobile was rebooted. I have also tried using different cable.

Does it means I have a faulty remote controller ? Or if there is anyways to fix this ?
any suggestion would be much appreciated.
@alkyoalkyo ... Are they paired?
How are you trying to link (transfer protocol) ?

I tried it on multiple mobile phones (andriod 10/11) and its just have the same error.
I'm pretty sure a simple USBC-USBC (or USBC-microUSB depending on your device) will not work. It has to be a USB OTG cable. You've tried with an original cable that came with the MA2?

You said you've tried multiple cables, which is why I'm asking as most folks don't have multiple OTG cables lying around.

The iphone will slow down / disable charging when it's that cold.

Thanks for all the responses. I believe it is a faulty USB port as nothing is detected. I can see 2 x USB C presentations underneath the antenna, but it is obvious which one is the actual port.

I have a laptop with a USB C port and if I plug my phone into the laptop with the same usb cable the laptop and phone detect each other so I know it's not the usb cable (it is the same USB cable provided with the drone but for completeness I have also tried a different cable).

With the phone connected to the RC if I select USB preferences all options are greyed out as though nothing is detected by the phone.

Just wanted to check I wasn't doing something stupid

Thanks for all the responses. I believe it is a faulty USB port as nothing is detected. I can see 2 x USB C presentations underneath the antenna, but it is obvious which one is the actual port.

I have a laptop with a USB C port and if I plug my phone into the laptop with the same usb cable the laptop and phone detect each other so I know it's not the usb cable (it is the same USB cable provided with the drone but for completeness I have also tried a different cable).

With the phone connected to the RC if I select USB preferences all options are greyed out as though nothing is detected by the phone.

Just wanted to check I wasn't doing something stupid
Have you also confirmed that you're plugging the correct end of the cable into the controller? Unlike a standard USB cable, a USB-OTG cable is not reversible. That's why they have the embossed controller silhouette on the end that needs to plug into the controller.

Have you also confirmed that you're plugging the correct end of the cable into the controller? Unlike a standard USB cable, a USB-OTG cable is not reversible. That's why they have the embossed controller silhouette on the end that needs to plug into the controller.
Yep, I have tried that .. and its not working .. Thanks

Sorry to ask this, but we had another user a couple of months back that had this problem, so just in case....Are you using the correct App? You need to use the DJI Fly and not DJI Go if you are connect to an Air 2, or Mini 2.

When you say it’s “not charging”, are you expecting the phone power level to INCREASE while flying your drone? Because it will not.

My controller will provide JUST ENOUGH power to my phone to keep my phone power level CONSTANT while flying my drone. Whereas if the controller is not charging my phone, the phone power level will DECREASE by about 1% for every minute I fly my drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs