DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Convince me to buy or not buy?

Second question. Why is it smart? Is there something more to it than a controller that comes with its own screen for $700?
Uhhhh, nope.... Unless you count the 10000000000000 nits of brightness.

But the only thing smart about it, is the engineer who designed it and gave it a 700$ price tag.

I bought both the MA2 & M2Z last week. I would pick the MA2 .... the only advantage of the Zoom is the Zoom! Both are fine machines! I brought both to a job & had planned to use the Zoom. I ended up using the MA2 & didn't look back. I still have uses for the M2Z. The Gimbal setting would be nice, but I think it worked fine for me :)
This was my second flight with the MA2
I shot this test @ 4k/60 right after I got it charged the same day.
That night I was blown away with 4k/30/HDR

So I'm a current owner of a mavic 2 zoom, & a SC. And i had a mavic air but sold it since getting the zoom.

I'm very new to drones, but I absolutely love it. I so far have not had any crashes *touches wood* and i am looking to forward this hobby of mine.

I have seen looked into the air 2 and I am very impressed however, is it worth it?

I am veey close to pulling the trigger to buy one but there is a few nicks which is stopping me.

1. My recent purchase of a SC, not being able to use it with the SC , initially may not be an issue with a brand new type of controller but eventually I'm sure it would be annoying.

2. Is there a need for 2 drones? Obviously the air 2 is smaller but its not like the zoom isn't compact. I can easily fit it in my travel bag.
Will I not end up picking one i prefer, and not using the other, rendering one a waste of money sitting there?

4. Sideways/upwards sensors. How much of an issue is this really? I feel I have very rarely used this on my zoom, but its nice to know its there for active track etc.

Help me make the decision!!
The main reasons I have two drones is the other drone is used as a back up if your main drone crashes or breaks down it’s gonna take about a month to send out fix and return meanwhile you’ll have no drone during that period which for me is unacceptable

It's like motorcycles... Do you need more than one? No but it's nice to have options. I have spark, air, mp2, and I did get the air 2 for airsense. I like it already, and filming at 4k 60fps...it's sweet!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Heya, which stuff do you mean coming to light?
Thanks Ro

Some of that stuff can be fixed firmware, but who knows if they will.

Last edited:
So I'm a current owner of a mavic 2 zoom, & a SC. And i had a mavic air but sold it since getting the zoom.

I'm very new to drones, but I absolutely love it. I so far have not had any crashes *touches wood* and i am looking to forward this hobby of mine.

I have seen looked into the air 2 and I am very impressed however, is it worth it?

I am veey close to pulling the trigger to buy one but there is a few nicks which is stopping me.

1. My recent purchase of a SC, not being able to use it with the SC , initially may not be an issue with a brand new type of controller but eventually I'm sure it would be annoying.

2. Is there a need for 2 drones? Obviously the air 2 is smaller but its not like the zoom isn't compact. I can easily fit it in my travel bag.
Will I not end up picking one i prefer, and not using the other, rendering one a waste of money sitting there?

4. Sideways/upwards sensors. How much of an issue is this really? I feel I have very rarely used this on my zoom, but its nice to know its there for active track etc.

Am I the only one on this panel who simply cannot understand why a pilot needs more than one drone? Aside from the bragging rights, the best of the DJI drone stable is the Mavic 2 Pro editions, and why anyone would have the time or the need for a second drone of any sort (Mini, Air 2, etc.) is beyond me. I barely have enough time or good weather to devote to my one and only drone. I know that lots of you out there have many drones. I'd sure like to know why I need to have more than one drone to take care of. The time and effort in maintaining one drone, updates, battery care, etc. baffles me why you would want to increase your time input for more than one drone. I don't mean to alter the arc of this discussion, but the thought occurred to me when reading the poser's question.

Am I the only one on this panel who simply cannot understand why a pilot needs more than one drone? Aside from the bragging rights, the best of the DJI drone stable is the Mavic 2 Pro editions, and why anyone would have the time or the need for a second drone of any sort (Mini, Air 2, etc.) is beyond me. I barely have enough time or good weather to devote to my one and only drone. I know that lots of you out there have many drones. I'd sure like to know why I need to have more than one drone to take care of. The time and effort in maintaining one drone, updates, battery care, etc. baffles me why you would want to increase your time input for more than one drone. I don't mean to alter the arc of this discussion, but the thought occurred to me when reading the poser's question.
Well, I’m not experienced with drones. BUT...I am with guitars. GAS is Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (just gotta have one more); maybe there is DAS too. I have three electric guitars (Strat, Tele, and LP). They have many similarities, but they all sound different. I stopped at three, many don’t. Aren’t drones the same. A mini might be nice to take out on a long hike or quick fun flight, whereas an MA2 might be better for for shooting some fantastic footage. Then there’s the backup reason. Then the people who have expendable income and just like collecting things. I think there are all sorts of reasons to own more than one drone, but only you can put value on those reasons. ..or not.

Last edited:
Once my Zoom arrives this Thursday I’ll have three ? He who dies with the most toys wins ???

Seriously though, I rarely fly my MA anymore as I prefer my MaVic Pro Platinum. I ordered the Zoom because I wanted Occusync 2 and the Smart Controller. I will be selling the MA.

Reactions: Parrotoid

I have put off buying yet another drone for over one year. I decided to give the MA2 a whirl because of the price point. Absolutely love it. Not looking back. Everyone gets to do what they want with their money. Nuff said?

I own both the M2Z and the M2P, in addition to the Smart Controller. Personally, I've decided not to purchase the MA2. 48MP is great, but since it is a Quad Bayer filter in the sensor, you need a lot of light for properly exposing the shot. With the M2Z, you can create a true 48MP image with the Super Resolution mode, it stitches together 9 12MP images into one 8000 x 6000 file. It takes more time, but if a 48MP shot is that important it may be worth it. I don't really need 4K 60, the HDR is nice, however, on the MA2. Don't get me wrong, it is a great drone and the specs are amazing. I'm new like you, been flying about 3 months, and the more I fly I'm actually gravitating more and more to the M2P because of the larger sensor and the adjustable aperture. Anyway, those are my thoughts, hope it helps!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661