DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Convince me to buy or not buy?

No hard plans at the moment, but the Autel Evo II has me interested.
I just read a posting here, along with a video showing that Autel Evo II is not controllable. He writes, and the video shows, that it tends to jerk left. You might want to investigate this.

I just read a posting here, along with a video showing that Autel Evo II is not controllable. He writes, and the video shows, that it tends to jerk left. You might want to investigate this.
Thanks, when I spend this much on anything I investigate LOTS :)

I have not seen anything that says that the MA 2 has the ability to transmit its position independent of the controller. If new rules from the FAA go into effect won’t this be obsolete just like my current MA?

I have not seen anything that says that the MA 2 has the ability to transmit its position independent of the controller. If new rules from the FAA go into effect won’t this be obsolete just like my current MA?
ADS-B has two modes 1) Receiving and 2) Sending. It is my understanding that MA2 has the receiving mode to help it avoid aircraft and drones with the sending mode. I'll find out when I receive mine next week.
As for the proposed rules, I have been in touch with the Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters. They inform me of two things. First, the proposed regulation implementation is probably about two years away. Second, when implemented, it will also require all but the smallest drones to have both receiving and sending.

ADS-B has two modes 1) Receiving and 2) Sending. It is my understanding that MA2 has the receiving mode to help it avoid aircraft and drones with the sending mode. I'll find out when I receive mine next week.
As for the proposed rules, I have been in touch with the Civil Air Patrol National Headquarters. They inform me of two things. First, the proposed regulation implementation is probably about two years away. Second, when implemented, it will also require all but the smallest drones to have both receiving and sending.
My MA is still going strong with a couple of replacement batteries after a couple of years. I would hope anything I would buy now could be flown for more than 2 years. My plan is to wait another year and see if DJI adds both sending and receiving ADS-B to something like the Mavic Pro.

Wait for the mavic 3 flavours to come out. For under $1000 the air 2 is a very strong contender. As you have a zoom, enjoy that and wait for a later release. That’s what I would do. If money is no object then go for it! Can always sell the least used a little down the line.

It's like motorcycles... Do you need more than one? No but it's nice to have options. I have spark, air, mp2, and I did get the air 2 for airsense. I like it already, and filming at 4k 60fps...it's sweet!
Many bikes, that is mandatory is it not.
Only having 6 bikes, I am trying to choose which to add next. My daughter has 3 motorcycles, and wants more as well.

Well, I’m not experienced with drones. BUT...I am with guitars. GAS is Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (just gotta have one more); maybe there is DAS too. I have three electric guitars (Strat, Tele, and LP). They have many similarities, but they all sound different. I stopped at three, many don’t. Aren’t drones the same. A mini might be nice to take out on a long hike or quick fun flight, whereas an MA2 might be better for for shooting some fantastic footage. Then there’s the backup reason. Then the people who have expendable income and just like collecting things. I think there are all sorts of reasons to own more than one drone, but only you can put value on those reasons. ..or not.
This is a great explanation. I started with a Yuneec Q500+, then a Parrot Bebop 2, then a DJI Mavic (1) and then the Mavic Air (1), the drone addiction is real. I think I made a mistake getting the Mavic Air 1, but I was sucked in by the hype, ordered it the same day it was revealed. Price was one of the reasons, I felt it was reasonable at the time, $799 for the drone and the controller. It turns out, after the initial hype, I hardly use it. The flight time, and the wifi were major bummers, plus not so great in the wind. I use my Mavic Pro most of the time, the thing is a beast, so reliable, can handle wind, great distance, and decent battery life. I still have my Mavic Air 1, but it's gathering dust, haven't flown it in over a year. May sell it, but really how much can you get for one nowadays ?

As far as the Mavic Air 2, I think I'm going to get one, the battery life and the Occusync added to the drone are big pluses for me. I'm not a content provider or business owner, I use my drones just for recreational use.

Reactions: Parrotoid
i am in a similar position to you ,although i do have 2 DJI drones at the moment a MPP and a MM i was very excited by the prospect of another drone ,but for once i resisted the purchase
my main reasons were as follows
(1) the changes to flying rules coming at the end of the year
(2) i just could not justify buying another drone at the moment ,i would then have 3 i couldn't fly during lockdown
(3) and another reason is the fact that with every new drone that comes out there are always teething troubles that dont come to light until the first wave of purchasers start to fly them
(4) if you feel that the MA2 fills your needs,then really the decision is purely yours to make ,everyone's reasons for to buy or not to buy,are going to be different
Consider the camera. I have the MA2 and a M2P. The M2P camera is always my first choice. It is not that the MA2 camera is bad, but it is far from great. Nice 60fps video but no match for the bigger sensor.

Last edited:
Consider the camera. I have the MA2 and a M2P. The M2P camera is always my first choice. It is not that the MA2 camera is bad, but it is far from great. Nice 60k video but no match for the bigger sensor.
When I got my Ma2 as good of a drone as it is I like it a lot but it made me appreciate the Mavic two pro all the better for a video quality

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028