DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Convince me to buy or not buy?

So I'm a current owner of a mavic 2 zoom, & a SC. And i had a mavic air but sold it since getting the zoom.

I'm very new to drones, but I absolutely love it. I so far have not had any crashes *touches wood* and i am looking to forward this hobby of mine.

I have seen looked into the air 2 and I am very impressed however, is it worth it?

I am veey close to pulling the trigger to buy one but there is a few nicks which is stopping me.

1. My recent purchase of a SC, not being able to use it with the SC , initially may not be an issue with a brand new type of controller but eventually I'm sure it would be annoying.

2. Is there a need for 2 drones? Obviously the air 2 is smaller but its not like the zoom isn't compact. I can easily fit it in my travel bag.
Will I not end up picking one i prefer, and not using the other, rendering one a waste of money sitting there?

4. Sideways/upwards sensors. How much of an issue is this really? I feel I have very rarely used this on my zoom, but its nice to know its there for active track etc.

Help me make the decision!!

You ask if there is a need for 2 drones. NEED, who needs a need?? :) I have a P4, P4P, and Mavic Pro. Going to sell my P4, but I NEED to keep the other two. MP when traveling. P4P for local droning. Just have fun and go fly! :)

I’m more in the 1 drone camp as well. I’d likely only buy additional drones if they served different purposes. I get the argument for redundancy if you’re some super professional type, conjuring images of some dude with various drones arranged on a tool belt [emoji23]. I’m not that dude. If I have a drone that covers all the bases, I’m not sure what would motivate me to fire up a different drone..

I would maybe get one of those sporty FPV acro type drones in addition to my MA2, because obviously that would serve a different purpose. But for example, why would I turn a Spark on ever again?

Really, it's up to you. I decided to grab this one (it should get to me on Friday) for a few reasons. It had most of the specs I wanted, and the price.

Video quality is great.
4K 60fps at a high bitrate in H.265 is huge.
30ish minute battery life.
Very stable to fly in wind.
Easy to pack and carry. I go to lots of hard to get to places to film, so size is important to me.
Photo quality is very good.
Its fast. Getting from point A to B should be no problem.
Reliable transmission range between controller and drone.

Don't get me wrong, the MA2 has its limitations. The 1/2 inch sensor is decent, but limited in low light and that, combined with a fixed aperture and 8-bit color will limit the drones video capabilities a lot. However, for what I'm going to be using it for, it's all a non-issue.

If you have a drone and it does everything you need it to do, stick with it. If you're looking to switch out because a feature you really want is available on a different model, then weigh the pros and cons of making that jump.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I’m more in the 1 drone camp as well. I’d likely only buy additional drones if they served different purposes. I get the argument for redundancy if you’re some super professional type, conjuring images of some dude with various drones arranged on a tool belt [emoji23]. I’m not that dude. If I have a drone that covers all the bases, I’m not sure what would motivate me to fire up a different drone..

I would maybe get one of those sporty FPV acro type drones in addition to my MA2, because obviously that would serve a different purpose. But for example, why would I turn a Spark on ever again?
Nostalgia. Why would I ever drive my NA Miata when I have an ND? Why would I fly a P-40 when I have a P-51. Those of us that are enthusiasts enjoy the different characteristics.

The more I read these postings, the more confused I become. Here is my quandary...three options:

1) Keep using my Mavic Air for now. Main complaint is short battery life.
2) Upgrade to MA2. I like the longer battery life and the HDR Video. Cheaper than the M2.
3) Upgrade to Mavic 2 Pro v.2 (Not Zoom) I like the low light capacity, all-around obstacle protecion and longer battery life.
For the moment, I just training to become a Mission Pilot for the Civil Air Patrol. However, later this year I will be doing some local commercial work.
I will appreciate any and all thoughts.

The more I read these postings, the more confused I become. Here is my quandary...three options:

1) Keep using my Mavic Air for now. Main complaint is short battery life.
2) Upgrade to MA2. I like the longer battery life and the HDR Video. Cheaper than the M2.
3) Upgrade to Mavic 2 Pro v.2 (Not Zoom) I like the low light capacity, all-around obstacle protecion and longer battery life.
For the moment, I just training to become a Mission Pilot for the Civil Air Patrol. However, later this year I will be doing some local commercial work.
I will appreciate any and all thoughts.

In your case, from an original Mavic Air, it would make sense to upgrade.

I have a Zoom, and will replace with the Air 2. For the 4K60, video hdr, 48mp stills, the controller, and better apas and tracking. I realize the apas and tracking could be improved later on the Zoom. I also like being able to get it with three batteries and nd filters for $250 less than the Zoom with just one battery.
I have a M2Pro and for the same reasons I'm thinking about switching as well.

To the OP...You’ve got some very good information on both sides of the issue. I have found that it helps to write down the pros and cons. Usually, your decision will become clear. Best wishes.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Just curious how how you can control the gimbal on the zoom? I’ve never flown one, on the air you can control the y axis like the mini, can you control the x axis on the zoom or is it something else?

Long press your finger on the phone/tablet screen, then drag your finger around on the screen, the gimbal will point where you drag your finger. I haven't tried it in a while but from memory even the MA1 has this. The M2Z definitely has this.

Reactions: nencmeister
I don't plan on buying the MA2. I know resistance is futile but I don't like what I see of the Fly app. Also the MM issues make me leery of buying anything from DJI until I see real world feedback/usage for about 6 months. Maybe more.

Also, the NFZ DJI database gives me the heeby jeebies every time I do an update. I am absolutely committed to honouring NFZ's but I fly, sometimes, very near to them. Also I have some locally that get periodically activated/deactivated for a week or two for various reasons. I have definitely noticed some discrepancies between local authorities and DJI. When it comes to NFZ's I prefer to trust my local authority's maps, apps and NOTAMs. I have been really enjoying my DJI drones and am happy with their purchase, but I think my next purchase will be something that lets me decide on the best way to comply with my local restrictions.

I have been really enjoying my DJI drones and am happy with their purchase, but I think my next purchase will be something that lets me decide on the best way to comply with my local restrictions.
Just curious about the other options???

Am I the only one on this panel who simply cannot understand why a pilot needs more than one drone? Aside from the bragging rights, the best of the DJI drone stable is the Mavic 2 Pro editions, and why anyone would have the time or the need for a second drone of any sort (Mini, Air 2, etc.) is beyond me. I barely have enough time or good weather to devote to my one and only drone. I know that lots of you out there have many drones. I'd sure like to know why I need to have more than one drone to take care of. The time and effort in maintaining one drone, updates, battery care, etc. baffles me why you would want to increase your time input for more than one drone. I don't mean to alter the arc of this discussion, but the thought occurred to me when reading the poser's question.
Do you only own one camera body and only one lens for your DSLR photography?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661