DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Coopers Hawk

BrianA

Reactions
For the last couple of weeks, there have been 2 Coopers Hawks terrorizing the tweety birds at our feeder. They don't seem to be to shy of anything. I thought maybe I could have a dual purpose flight. Maybe the noise of the drone would scare them off and I could also maybe get some good video. Well, it looks like only one of the ideas worked. I should've done focus track for smoother vid but I just did the manual stick flying. And, yes, I need a heck of a lot more practice at manual flying.

Right when I think i understand birds , a long comes this gem , lol

That predator had no fear of a big bee.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain. Land on the Water

For the last couple of weeks, there have been 2 Coopers Hawks terrorizing the tweety birds at our feeder. They don't seem to be to shy of anything. I thought maybe I could have a dual purpose flight. Maybe the noise of the drone would scare them off and I could also maybe get some good video. Well, it looks like only one of the ideas worked. I should've done focus track for smoother vid but I just did the manual stick flying. And, yes, I need a heck of a lot more practice at manual flying.

Fantastic! I'd never have thought that a Cooper's Hawk would sit still for that sort of approach with a drone. He did scream at you once toward the end of the video. though. Pretty smooth manual flying on your part.

I woke up three days ago to see one of our local pair perched on a live oak branch 10 feet from the bedroom window. They do take a bird around here once in a while, but that's just nature's food chain at work. They're magnificent fliers. The way they twist and turn through the tree canopy is a wonder. A-10 Warthog pilots dream about being able to fly like that.

how close did the drone get to the hawk?
I was probably 30ft or so. This is on 3.5-4x zoom so it looks closer that it really was. I didn't want to run into any of the trees while trying to focus on the bird.

Fantastic! I'd never have thought that a Cooper's Hawk would sit still for that sort of approach with a drone. He did scream at you once toward the end of the video. though. Pretty smooth manual flying on your part.

I woke up three days ago to see one of our local pair perched on a live oak branch 10 feet from the bedroom window. They do take a bird around here once in a while, but that's just nature's food chain at work. They're magnificent fliers. The way they twist and turn through the tree canopy is a wonder. A-10 Warthog pilots dream about being able to fly like that.
That is a great video of a beautiful bird 🦅. I have around six large evergreens surrounding my house up here on the BC coast. They hold a variety of birds that just love to sing and fly amongst the branches. It can get quite loud with all the tweeting and chirping, but, when all goes completely silent…guess who’s just landed in the neighbourhood? You got it!

Again, nice 👍

Wow great shooting. I love to see the birds in the US when we manage to visit. Saw a cooper‘s hawk a while ago.

This was the first visit from Coopers Hawks a few years ago. Complete surprise when all of a sudden the immature one decided to land on the feeder pole. Then, a day or two later, mom/dad showed up. These were taken from my family room through the large windows to the back yard. Talk about brazen birds. And, they always seem to give you that look like you owe them money.
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg

Great shooting. You know, if you had gotten closer with your drone, as brazen as that bird is, it might have just flown up and attacked your drone as a competing predator. And yes, if you scare away the smaller birds (its food), you will owe him money! :)

Reactions: PixelMagic
Forgot where I snagged this from but it makes me smile when I think of birds and drones interacting. 😂

Attachments

• Expert You Say.gif
    Expert You Say.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique