DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Copyright notice on videos

realvue

Reactions
So, as I learn how to fly, many friends are asking to see video. I’m going to post some clips on YouTube or Rumble, but I was wondering how many of you take the time to append copyright information to ALL videos that you upload?

it’s a tedious extra step for sure, curious if any of you do this?

As a graphic designer for nearly 30 years, I can totally see the value in doing this. Or... am I overthinking this?

As always, thanks in advance.

Everything is covered by copyright by default, a notice is useless.
Yes, of course legally that is the case. But when has that ever stopped creative theft?

I figure that most Neanderthals who steal intellectual property aren't smart enough to read in the first place. But a copyright tag line all over my pretty 4K HD video might make it useless to that same person.

Reactions: tlswift58
Yes, of course legally that is the case. But when has that ever stopped creative theft?
That's the point, when has a copyright notice ever stopped it either? ?

But a copyright tag line all over my pretty 4K HD video might make it useless to that same person.
Makes it useless for any other viewer as well IMO.

So, as I learn how to fly, many friends are asking to see video. I’m going to post some clips on YouTube or Rumble, but I was wondering how many of you take the time to append copyright information to ALL videos that you upload?

As a graphic designer for nearly 30 years, I can totally see the value in doing this. Or... am I overthinking this?

robbers do not obey gun laws, only responsible citizens do

Everything is covered by copyright by default, a notice is useless.

Not true at all in copyright. While it may seem inherent, it is not. I post my pictures with a CR and my name on them, should I ever have to go to court for that purpose.

Reactions: realvue

In most countries, when you create a video it is already protected by copyright law from the moment it was created and placed in a tangible form. Adding a copyright notice on a video uploaded to YouTube does not provide any more protection. You can register the video with U.S. Copyright Office (and pay $35) and that would make it easier to protect in a court of law. By uploading it to YouTube, you will have their protection against authorized use, plus an audit trail from when you uploaded the source material.

It doesn't hurt to add a copyright notice to the video, but you could just have that notice in the description of the video.

In most countries, when you create a video it is already protected by copyright law from the moment it was created and placed in a tangible form. Adding a copyright notice on a video uploaded to YouTube does not provide any more protection. You can register the video with U.S. Copyright Office (and pay $35) and that would make it easier to protect in a court of law. By uploading it to YouTube, you will have their protection against authorized use, plus an audit trail from when you uploaded the source material.

It doesn't hurt to add a copyright notice to the video, but you could just have that notice in the description of the video.

^^^^ Spot on answer :)

My most profitable image I've ever taken was insanely lucrative because someone "borrowed" it and used it on their website without getting any rights to it. I was paid a crazy amount of $$ for Copyright violation.

One way to ensure I will not watch a video is to put a watermark-style copyright notice on it.
Why? Is it because it's a visual distraction?

In my case, yes.
If you don't want to present your video/photo in a way that's enjoyable to viewers then don't bother posting it.

No prob with a small mark in a corner (I put one on my stuff) but those who put a massive banner all over the content or right in the middle of the subject, no thanks.

Reactions: anotherlab
In my case, yes.
If you don't want to present your video/photo in a way that's enjoyable to viewers then don't bother posting it.

No prob with a small mark in a corner (I put one on my stuff) but those who put a massive banner all over the content or right in the middle of the subject, no thanks.
I'm fine with a watermark in the corner, but I haven't seen anything with a massive copyright notice over the content. At that point, why bother uploading it?

One thing that will keep me from watching your video is if you have an opening logo or animation that runs more than 5 seconds. I'll either skip the logo or the entire video.

Why? Is it because it's a visual distraction?
Exactly. Life's too short. Just me, I guess. Perhaps, as you noted above, a small logo in the corner - but a prominent overlay? Nope. I've run across a couple - fortunately, they're the exception!

Like many people, we do videos as a hobby. We never watermark a video we publish. The only exception is when we do a draft video for a "client" and want to make sure it doesn't get away from us before it reaches its final form, then we'll overlay a prominent "DRAFT" watermark. (Our "clients" are local non-profit groups who can't afford commercial video productions - we do them for no cost.) Seems to work.

I usually skip anything that's watermarked. If it's a photo, I'll crop/shop it out before sharing it.

It really ruins a photo in my opinion. (And why are those watermarks always some cheesy script font?)

I usually skip anything that's watermarked. If it's a photo, I'll crop/shop it out before sharing it.

It really ruins a photo in my opinion. (And why are those watermarks always some cheesy script font?)
You need to be careful when you do that. Cropping out a watermark and then sharing an image can be considered a violation of section 1202 of the US Copyright Act. The fines range from $2500 to $25,000, plus legal fees.

You need to be careful when you do that. Cropping out a watermark and then sharing an image can be considered a violation of section 1202 of the US Copyright Act. The fines range from $2500 to $25,000, plus legal fees.

Removing copyright info in order to share a photo with my girlfriend does not constitute a violation of that section.

§(e)(2)(A)(ii) the activity that constitutes such violation is not intended to induce, enable, facilitate, or conceal infringement of a right under this title.​

Now if I gave it to her to use on the cover of her latest book, yes.

Reactions: anotherlab
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78